Sweeping Sagas discussion

Group Reads > Outback Station Part I SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
Here be spoilers, enter at your own risk.

Like Jill, I like this better than Outback so far, at least there is more people contact than the first half of book one.

Interesting tact backtracking in time and starting over from a different perspective instead of picking up where he left off. I wonder where in the story this will end.

I like David and his determination to have his own station, but I can't quite see the draw the sheep had to so many. It doesn't sound like a terribly pleasant occupation, but I guess that might be all that's available.

It was fun seeing Frank in his old age, as well as the young Garrity family - including a young but still feisty Sheila.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "Here be spoilers, enter at your own risk.

Like Jill, I like this better than Outback so far, at least there is more people contact than the first half of book one.

Interesting tact backtracki..."

Like you Misfit I had no idea that this would 'backtrack' but I like it. Perhaps it will fill in some of the blanks we were wondering about in 'Outback'.

And as I said earlier I also like David. It did seem to me to be a sudden decision by him to go into sheep. Either the author likes sheep, or more likely this was a very profitable occupation back then being a sheep farmer. Which it was. Not so much now.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

The sheep twist was a bit odd, but apparently he loved the wide open spaces and there's not much call for that in his former profession. Convict or not, IIRC he was more gentleman born and educated and he did adapt to life in the wild fairly well.

Quite a scary trip to get to Wayamba Station, imagine having to walk out in the middle of all that nowhere-ness.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "The sheep twist was a bit odd, but apparently he loved the wide open spaces and there's not much call for that in his former profession. Convict or not, IIRC he was more gentleman born and educated..."

Yes, I wouldn't want to to walk it now along a bitumen road, let alone then. Guess they were tougher. Had to be.

I was going to start Part II tonight. But got watching tele instead. Then went and ordered some books online and spent too much. Should have stuck with the reading.

message 5: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Kudos to whoever fixed up the "currently reading" section with the start dates & finish dates!!! Very cool.

Just started Outback Station yesterday, will try to do some major catching up today.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Did anyone else notice that in this novel, the author(s?) were really good at describing what things are? That didn't happen in the first one, where we had to look up what damper, etc, was. Maybe this gives credence to the idea that it's a different author?

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Michele wrote: "Did anyone else notice that in this novel, the author(s?) were really good at describing what things are? That didn't happen in the first one, where we had to look up what damper, etc, was. Maybe..."

Or maybe the publishers got feedback from readers asking to clarify meanings?
How are you liking this one so far Michele, compared to 'Outback'?
And does it read/feel any different to you?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "Michele wrote: "Did anyone else notice that in this novel, the author(s?) were really good at describing what things are? That didn't happen in the first one, where we had to look up what damper, ..."

It does feel different, Jill. I'm liking it for the most part, though I admit there was a bit there when David and Pat were spending time together when their dialog was driving me a little batty. If you are having a private conversation, just two of you, is it really necessary to begin or end each sentence using the person's name? I mean, who the heck else would you be talking to???? ha.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Michele wrote: "Jill wrote: "Michele wrote: "Did anyone else notice that in this novel, the author(s?) were really good at describing what things are? That didn't happen in the first one, where we had to look up ..."

Yes! I picked that up too, Michele. I noticed that even in the first book, Michele. It was driving me a little batty too, Michele.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "Did anyone else notice that in this novel, the author(s?) were really good at describing what things are? That didn't happen in the first one, where we had to look up what damper, etc, was. Maybe..."

No you aren't alone, I wondered the same thing myself - especially after the grousing we did not knowing what half the damn things were.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

This book is more how I expected the first one to be. I do like how the previous characters are interwoven....I like the continuity.

message 12: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Do you think that we are just seeing the evolution of this author's (whoever they are) writing ability? I noticed the first half of Outback had really short choppy action. ie: Mayrah walked into the shelter, walked out of the shelter, crossed to the fire, added water to the can...and on and on. By the second half that had improved (a good thing, too, I was about ready to stop in the middle). This one seems vastly improved...but then there is the calling people by their name thing.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "Do you think that we are just seeing the evolution of this author's (whoever they are) writing ability? I noticed the first half of Outback had really short choppy action. ie: Mayrah walked into ..."

The writing is very much smoother, isn't it? And you're probably right: if Outback was his first novel, then logic says he'd be getting better at it by OS. LOL. It's much easier to read and flows much better.

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill Gee Michele do you ever sleep?
Or are you unable to? I reckon it must be about 3.45am there.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "Gee Michele do you ever sleep?
Or are you unable to? I reckon it must be about 3.45am there."

That's so funny....I was just wondering the same thing about Carey. I swear, I don't know when she ever sleeps! I managed about 5 hours of sleep thanks to Outback Station, ha ha. But I'm in Houston, Texas and it's almost 6 am here and it's time to get my butt to work.

And the best *gift* in the whole world, for me anyway, would be 12 hours of sleep. Uninterrupted by kids, airplanes, weather, or anything to do with responsibility. Sadly, my kids won't be out of the house for another 16 years and I can't retire for another 25 years. That's a loooooonnnng time without sleep, isn't it, LOL.

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill Michele wrote: "Jill wrote: "Gee Michele do you ever sleep?

That's so funny....I was just wondering the same thing about Carey. I swear, I don't kno..."

Sorry can't help you with the sleep.
But hope you have a nice day.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "Michele wrote: "Jill wrote: "Gee Michele do you ever sleep?

That's so funny....I was just wondering the same thing about Carey. I sw..."

Better living through pharmaceuticals, I always say. :) You too, Jill.....hope you have a great day, although I suppose it's evening there. I still have awful trouble figuring out the international date line thingy. ;)

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Yeah, it's nearly 11pm Thursday night.
I'm just about ready to go to....umm sleep. Sorry.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

The dateline and times drives me nuts. I'll be up on a Saturday morning around 5 AM and then I log on and see Marg doing her Sunday Salon post and mentions what a great Sunday afternoon she had :)

message 20: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Michele wrote: "Carey wrote: "Do you think that we are just seeing the evolution of this author's (whoever they are) writing ability? I noticed the first half of Outback had really short choppy action. ie: Mayra..."

It appears to me that it was novel number 17 or 18! I must admit that is one factor against my theory about him being different authors writing under one name

message 21: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Okay, so when you say it is the read for a month, I am actually working on the basis that we have the whole month to read it!

I just finished reading Part 1, and I liked it better too!

Not quite sure I get the attraction to sheep either.

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Marg wrote: "Okay, so when you say it is the read for a month, I am actually working on the basis that we have the whole month to read it!

I just finished reading Part 1, and I liked it better too!

Not quite..."

Take your time. It really is hard to gauge ahead of time how quick one can read a book.

message 23: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments It's not so much that as I am reading three or four others at the same time!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Marg wrote: "It's not so much that as I am reading three or four others at the same time!"

That is so hard for me to do, Marg, so hats off to you for being able to! I can in a pinch, but I hate it because it seems like I can't get "lost" in the story when I'm busy in and out of different stories.

message 25: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments They are always different styles of stories, and one stays by the bed, and the other gets carried around with me.