75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (Intros & General) > 2011 here we come……

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea, Moderator (last edited Nov 27, 2010 04:48PM) (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with good family, friends, food and extra reading time! This year our little group became a wonderful tight nit community which often feels homey and welcoming. This fantastic atmosphere is made up of many great members. I invite you to make suggestions that will continue to make our little group a fun place to share books and make friends. I also welcome you to invite friends to join. Our group is a good size, but we always have room for more!

One of the ideas that I have for 2011 includes a side challenge where people can read children’s books. Many of our members read these regularly but don’t feel comfortable counting these books toward their 75 reads. The side challenge would allow people to track these as a group challenge. I was also wondering if people would like to participate in a monthly group read? A couple members have asked me about this and I thought it would be something that we should find out if there is an interest for it.

It is with sadness that I also announce a bigger change for 2011. Kay and Joy have both decided with much reluctance that being moderators of the group no longer fits in their lives. It is not a choice that they made lightly and it was certainly a difficult one. Kay’s obligations to her family and work have prevented her from being as active as she would like in the role of moderator. Joy is expecting that with the arrival of her first bundle of Joy she will need more time to focus on being a new mom. Kay and Joy have been essential in running the boards and I’m just happy that they will continue to be members.

I will be posting the 2011 sections soon, if anyone has any suggestions pertaining to these please let me know. Otherwise, we will be using the same format as previous years.

I’m looking forward to 2011 and spending another great year with all of you!

Happy Holidays!

Andrea

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments I am sad that I have to step down as a moderator, but I am still looking forward to reading with you all next year! This is an amazing group of people, and I have enjoyed getting to know some of you here and share bookish thoughts throughout the year!!! Hope you all have a beautiful holiday season!!!

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) I'm so sad to hear that Joy and Kay will be stepping down as moderators. You will both be missed!

I love the idea of a group read for people to participate in. I'm always looking for something new to read and a group read often motivates me to pick up something I might otherwise skip because it is out of my comfort zone.

message 4: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments I'm sorry to hear that, but I completely understand needing to prioritize things to keep life manageable... And family wins out in my book every time too :) I have complete faith that this group will continue to be a great place to 'hang out' and feed my TBR list, LOL!

I like the idea of a side challenge reading Children's or YA books... since I don't have kids myself I'm always on the lookout for leads on good children/YA books.

message 5: by Karol (new)

Karol Thanks for your kind note, Andrea - and Christy and Stacie, too. I am thrilled with Andrea's ideas for 2011 and although I'm stepping down as moderator I do plan to continue to be part of the group.

Many thanks to everyone who has been a member - your participation has really made this a rewarding venture in the last couple of years!

message 6: by Merri (new)

Merri How sad- but I totally get it-! I know I will never reach 75 books in any year- this is now 2 years in a row that I didn't make it- so not sure that I should join up again! I have loved everyone's comments- but I feel like a slacker

message 7: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Merri wrote: "I have loved everyone's comments- but I feel like a slacker"

No need to feel like a slacker! You've tackled some monster tomes this year (2000 pages of Ken Follet, which should surely get to count as more than just 2 books, LOL!). Besides, on a purely selfish note, your reading tastes are exactly like my mother's... I've been mining your list for presents for Mother's Day, Birthday, Christmas etc. all year! :D

message 8: by Merri (new)

Merri Thanks- i just figured everyone was trying to figure out what I am doing here

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Merri wrote: "Thanks- i just figured everyone was trying to figure out what I am doing here"

You're here for the fuzzy warm friendships!!! =) And book talk! Challenge shmallenge!!!LOL

message 10: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Merri, you are lucky that I can't reach you through my computer. I would have to give you a little swat for being such a goof! Of course we want you here. No way does anyone who can't finish the challenge ever get called a slacker. If you recall, I did not finish last year either and would still be racing for the line if I didn't include my audio CD. If for some reason you feel like you would feel better being part of a group that has a challenge more attainable for you then I can understand that. I guess we have never been really strong on the members of the group reading any set amount. It's just a goal that some people meet and other say maybe next year. We would never want embers to leave because they didn't meet or went over the challenge.

message 11: by Karol (new)

Karol Merri, Hear, Hear! Ditto. What Andrea said.

message 12: by Merri (new)

Merri LOL-OK I'm in!!! I love talking and sharing books with all of you!

message 13: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2917 comments And we love you Merri!!! ♥♥♥

I am in with the YA books. I add mine to my list, because, to me a book is a book, but I am ALWAYS on the lookout for a good YA book. And the monthly challenge I think I could handle too. We will see. :-)

Kay and Joy, you will be missed as Mod's, but I am SO glad you are staying with the group. I love our bunch here. Even if I don't post a lot, I follow. AND I am reading! :-)

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "And we love you Merri!!! ♥♥♥

I am in with the YA books. I add mine to my list, because, to me a book is a book, but I am ALWAYS on the lookout for a good YA book. And the monthly challenge I think..."

Thank you!!! I'm glad to be staying with the group, I would miss it if I left all together...we'll see how close I get to 75 next year with a Newborn around....ha! =)

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Your life will be differnt Joy, but all in good ways minus poppy diapers..hahaha

message 16: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments I hope so...

message 17: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I know so! Brian and I are watching a 7, 5, and 3 month old tomorrow. We are already fighting about who gets to change diapers!

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Andrea wrote: "I know so! Brian and I are watching a 7, 5, and 3 month old tomorrow. We are already fighting about who gets to change diapers!"

Flip a coin!! LOL

message 19: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

We made it throught the night no problem! The wee little one had a good cold and wanted to be held all night so we took turns :)

message 20: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

For those who plan on participating in the extra 75 children's book challenges do we want to have a separate thread (2011 Children's Challenge)? I thought it might be easier for those planning to participate and also for the members who may not be interested in this part of the challenge. Any thoughts?.....

message 21: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Would we be excluding the children's/ YA books read from the main challenge then? If not, wouldn't listing the same books in two different threads be redundant? It just seems like it would double the number of threads the participants had to keep up with...?

My brain is tired... I think I will leave the decision to folks more logically inclined than I am at the moment ;) I'm all for whatever makes your life as Group Mod easiest!

message 22: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Andrea wrote: "We made it throught the night no problem! The wee little one had a good cold and wanted to be held all night so we took turns :)"

Awww, lots of baby snuggles....I always feel bad when they don't feel good, but love the snuggles!!!

message 23: by Suziqoregon (new)

Suziqoregon Love this group and I'm looking forward to participating in 2011.

I've made my 75 again this year. Will finish the year with less than I had last year and some unfinished reading goals, but it's still been a great year of reading.

Sorry to hear Kay and Joy will be stepping down as moderators, but totally understand that life works that way.

Merri - don't you DARE leave!

message 24: by Merri (new)

Merri I promise i will rejoin!!

message 25: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Stacie, we would be excluding the children's/ YA books read from the main challenge. It would be another side challenge that members could do in addition to their other 75. This was for the people who do NOT want to include children's/YA books in their 75. I thought a seperate thread might be better for those not interested in seeing all these books.

*People who want to count their children's/YA books in their 75 are welcome to continue doing so. It would be up to the member if they wanted to just track under the 75 thread of is they wanted to track both places*

message 26: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

The 2011 Challenge threads have been posted! Please feel free to start posting :)

message 27: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hi Everyone, I had some free time today so I wanted to get the new 2011 folders posted. The feedback for the seperate children's book challenge was limited so for now I didn't add an additional folder for this. I added my list to my regular 2011 challenge and people can either do that or we can create a different folder down the line.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks,

Andrea

message 28: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Hi everyone, I am happy to join this group, I am very new to this and trying to follow up and looking forward for 2011 challenge...

I really liked the idea about the monthly group read. It is always nice to know the other point of view when you read a book or while you are reading it.

Joy, I don't know you very much but I am happy for your baby, I have a 2 year old daughter so I can guess your excitment, I am sure you will be having a very happy and full of fun 2011 :)

message 29: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Hi everyone, I am happy to join this group, I am very new to this and trying to follow up and looking forward for 2011 challenge...

I really liked the idea about the monthly group read. It is alwa..."

Thank you so much!!! I am so excited! =)

message 30: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I was at the library and as I was walking out the door I turned around and went back to the children's/YA area and picked up some old friends :) I'm excited to spend some time relaxing with the the books of my younger days. Thank you to those who encouraged this side challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes!

message 31: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Someone mentioned a good question I wanted to share with the group. I think we may have even discussed this last year too.

If you start a book in 2010 but finish it in 2011 where do you put it. I think the best answer is in the year you finished it. However, we've never been the kind of group that had strict rules so do what feels right to you and that will also be okay! :)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) I have always counted it in the year I finish it. I also like how this group is not too hung up on following a strict set of rules and several people share thoughts about what they are reading. Most of the other groups I have belonged to, either no one posts or they only list titles, no discussion.

message 33: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Don, I'm glad that other people also like the "culture" of our little group. We all come here to have a good time and enjoy talking with others who share similar interests in books and just the hobby of reading. I also like how interactive this group has become. I think we have just the right amount on posts so that people are engaged without being overwhelmed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.