Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Friends Recomendations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Jessica I would like the option of seeing what i suggested for friends and what they have suggested for me.

message 2: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Great suggestion!

Here is what we are thinking for this:

When adding a review, there will be a new option, to add a list of people who recommended the book to you. This will be as simple as typing in your friends name.

Then we can use that data in some really fun ways, showing you who has read books because of your recommendations, or who has recommended the most books to you.

message 3: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
This will be as simple as typing in your friends name.

Er, but there are many users with the same name, right? At the moment I don't have any friends with the same user name as other friends, but I could have more than one Ann, for instance. Wouldn't you need to link to their profile or something?

Other than being confused on that point, I think it's a great idea.

message 4: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Rivka,

Good point - but thats a design detail, and I think we can find ways around that :) I'm getting very excited about this idea however. I had a long discussion with a friend a few weeks ago where we discussed how there was a major piece of data being lost on Goodreads.

Basically, when I find a new book to read, its usually because I saw it on a friends shelf. There is a whole chain of how that friend found the book, how I read because of him, then how friends of mine perhaps read it because of me. The data in that chain is invaluable, and currently we aren't storing it!

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
It's true. It's fascinating to me to notice when I book I marked as to-read based on a friend's shelf later shows up on another (non-mutual) friend's list a week or two later. And it presumably happens a LOT more than anyone would notice just by eyeballing it.

It should be interesting to see how long the chains get.