Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Ereaders

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Izetta Autumn (new)

Izetta Autumn (izettaautumn) | 36 comments Does anyone is the group have an e-reader? If so, which ereader do you have? How do you like it? And how did you decide which ereader to purchase?

I have mixed feelings about ereaders - my mind says "support the old school publishing industry and book stores," my back says, "stop breaking me by carrying books in multiples of 2 wherever you go."

I will enver stop buying old school books, but I'm curious about what ereaders folks are using - and am particularly curious because as someone who reads lots of fiction from the Black diaspora, will I still be able to find Nalo Hopkinson, Toni Morrison, Victor LaValle, et al (and 'dem) if I get an ereader?

message 2: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3860 comments Mod
Hello Izetta, it's funny you should post this question because I've been curious as well as to whether Literary Fiction for People of Color members were e-readers. Personally, I'm torn. I love books! I have been known to browse for hours on end in used bookstores. I like the smell of the brick & mortar - dusty bookshelves with soft Jazz background music playing. I enjoy reading on the train, plane, elliptical and have people inquire as to what I'm reading; I like the ensuing discussions that are typically the result of these inquiries. I enjoy loaning my books out to friends and have them call me and tell me how much they enjoyed the book (or not).  I think Patti Smith who recently won the National Book Award for her excellent memoir, Just Friends,  about her early life & experiences with the artist Robert Mapplethorpe, said it perfectly at the ceremonies, "
 "Please, no matter how we advance technologically, please don't abandon the book. There is nothing in our material world more beautiful than the book." 

But, I also enjoy new technology and I was really surprised when Toni Morrison had endorsed the Kindle several years ago before that e-reader became popular. I thought at the time this thing will never work. Boy, how wrong was I? I understand the e-reader will become one of the must-have gifts for the holiday season. Go figure. 

Alas, I will likely never give up the book completely. But, if I happen to receive an iPad for Christmas I won't return it. Maybe just use it for movies &/or games.

message 3: by Mistinguette (new)

Mistinguette Smith | 191 comments After much research, I bought my wife a Nook. She uses it to read pop fiction that she doesn't want to hold onto, or refer to again. Here's how we reached that decision:
- We can't afford an iPad right now, although it is the most versatile format
-You can easily borrow books from a library using a Nook (including a vast selection of audiobooks from the NYPL!)
- The genres she likes to read are well supported in ebook format at Powell's , the worker-owned bookstore.
- The Nook supports formats that self published authors are using.
- I learned that my writer friends have negotiated e-publishing rights for their new work, although they get no royalties for manuscripts published before ebooks were a contract consideration

There was a time when people were sure that texts written in the vernacular would destroy literature -- especially that crazy Dante Alighieri's Commedia. A hundred years later, folks were sure that Gutenberg's moving type technology would cheapen knowledge by offering it to people without the education to understand the body of which it was a part. (Actually, it's true the invention of printed text technology changed us: it has changed the shape of the human eye-ball.) The widespread publication of serialized novels in 17th century gazettes was a technological scandal, and Dickens publication of The Pickwick Papers as a serial meant he would never be considered a literary writer. And I can't imagine what people thought of Pearl Buck's The Good Earth when it was released in that innovative format that would someday kill the leather-bound library -- as the first paperback "pocket" book.

I say, there is nothing more beautiful than Syrian palimpsests, or hand-gilded illuminated manuscripts, but they are hard to read on the train during rush hour :-)