Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

November Read-a-thon Disscussion & Progress

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments Good Morning all! How is everyone doing on their reading? Give us an update...

Don't forget we all always need some cheerleaders.

message 2: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments I finished the last 104 pages of Hawaii by James A. Michener by James A. Michener. Started Juliet by Anne Fortier and have a few more books partially finished waiting to be read. This is a good motivation for me to read- been in kind of a reading funk the past few days.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
so far i've finished up Bonds of Love (Impacted, #2) by Mickie B. Ashling (started at 66%) - so 91 pages

I have 1 book left in my monthly category challenge to read (for the M/M group), so i'm starting that one now - Submission

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments I am trying to finish City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare , but keep getting interrupted...Maybe tonight I will have more time to myself.

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I am trying to finish City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare, but keep getting interrupted...Maybe tonight I will have more time to myself."

Any good? It seems pretty well divided between good and bad.

message 6: by Dee (new)

i've heard good things about it - i grabbed it on audiobook last month from audible...hoping to get to it soon

message 7: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I'm so sorry I didn't start this thread. Today was a crazy busy day for me.
Thanks so much for starting this up Meghan.

message 8: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Finished Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1) by Lila Dare , pages 90- 294. 204 pages. One of those slow starting books, but a good, quick read.

message 9: by Dee (new)

do you like these short mysteries?? they are a bit dated, but i've been reading the Mrs. Pollifax series and they are rather entertaining...a senior citizen who ends up working for the CIA

Shay wrote: "Finished Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1) by Lila Dare, pages 90- 294. 204 pages. One of those slow starting books, but a good, quick read."

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments I usually read cozy type mysteries during the day- when I'm watching the kids or at work. Or to unwind after a bad or stressful day. Because you can pick them up and put them down easily- they don't require a lot of concentration. Especially in a series, once you've read one, you're already familiar with the basics- characters, setting, etc. I like the modern ones better for this kind of reading.

message 11: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 27, 2010 07:10PM) (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "do you like these short mysteries?? they are a bit dated, but i've been reading the Mrs. Pollifax series and they are rather entertaining...a senior citizen who ends up working for the CIA

Shay ..."

I liked the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries, even though they are a bit dated. But then I enjoy reading mysteries in almost any time period. They are quick, easy, and a good escape when you need one.

message 12: by Dee (new)

i've read 2 of them so far...but they are good for me because they fit various countries in my around the world challenge

message 13: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 27, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments I haven't gotten as far as I intended, due to a trip to the in-laws for another holiday dinner this afternoon. But this morning I finished the last 100 pages of Lisa Scottoline's My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space. I just loved it and hated to see it end. So on our way home, I made my husband stop at a Barnes & Noble so I could buy her earlier one, Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog.
Also, since I knew we would be away for a while today, I read last night to make up some of the time, and finished Mark de Castrique's Grave Undertaking (266p.)
Right now I am 100 pages in to 9th Judgment by James Patterson. Hoping to finish it and get to my next one by midnight.

message 14: by Dee (new)

oh yeah i'm listening to Succubus Blues (on chapter 3 right now)

message 15: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i've read 2 of them so far...but they are good for me because they fit various countries in my around the world challenge"

I don't mean to use up your reading time, but what is the around-the-world challenge? It sounds like something I would like.

message 16: by Dee (new)

it is being hosted by the Next Best Book Club group...the goal is to read 80 books set in 80 different countries around the world and hit all the continents...

they are also hosting an around the USA challenge (hit all 50 states) and an A-Z of Countries at the same time...

i've gotten like no reading done today...concentration hasn't been there

message 17: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "it is being hosted by the Next Best Book Club group...the goal is to read 80 books set in 80 different countries around the world and hit all the continents...

they are also hosting an around th..."

Thanks. Is there a time limit? It sounds like something I would really like to join since I really like to read multic-cultural stories and stories set in other countries. The U.S. challenge sounds good, also. I will have to look into them.

message 18: by Dee (new)

a year...so it works out to like 7 books a month (give or take!) she started the last one in october, so if you join in now...you can go back and look at books you had read since then and count them

message 19: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "a year...so it works out to like 7 books a month (give or take!) she started the last one in october, so if you join in now...you can go back and look at books you had read since then and count them"

Thanks. I think I will try it.

message 20: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments I just finished Patterson's 9th Judgment(355p.) and am going to start Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. I am also going to a warmer room since it is freezing in here where my computer resides. I will check back in the morning with how much more reading I got done.

message 21: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments I just finished City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare read 209 pages of it now time to find another book.

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments Time to take a longer break. I have read 2 books so far. (One for the Money & Inking Aaron).
In the morning I will try to get up early and finish another.

I will post more then.
Good night.

message 23: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments Ok took a break now time to read the next book in the series.

message 24: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments Shay wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "I am trying to finish City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare, but keep getting interrupted...Maybe tonight I will have more time to myself."

Any good? It seems pretty well divided betwe..."

I actually really liked this book Shay! Parts of it were predictable and other parts threw me for a loop...it started getting so good I refused to move from my bed while reading it.

message 25: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Shay wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "I am trying to finish City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare, but keep getting interrupted...Maybe tonight I will have more time to myself."

Any good? It seems pretty well ..."

I'll have to move it up on my list, then. My current YA read is Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly .

message 26: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments Let me know if that book is any good Shay...I saw it and it looks pretty good.

message 27: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Let me know if that book is any good Shay...I saw it and it looks pretty good."

I'm a little over 1/3 of the way in. It's a good book. I'm not sure if I would say great. No spoilers, but it's one of those books that I can tell that the ending will determine how good it is. Does that make sense?

message 28: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments Yep! Definitely know what you mean.

message 29: by Dee (new)

ok, so final stats for me:

Finished up Bonds of Love (92 pages)
Read Sticks & Stones (394 pages)
Got half-way through Submission (131 pages)
Listened to 6 chapters of Succubus Blues (76 pages)

Total: 693 pages
Total Hours Read: Abt 4.5
Total Hours Listened: Abt 2.5

message 30: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 28, 2010 03:43PM) (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Here are my final stats. I didn't get as much done as I had hoped, but there is always next time.

Grave Undertaking - 266p. (pre-read on Friday night to make up for time spent at in-laws)
My Nest Isn't Empty... finished last 100 pages
Read 9th Judgment - 355p.
Started Sizzling Sixteen - got 116p. done before church (will finish it this afternoon)
Total pages: 837 pages
Total hours: about 8 hours - didn't actually keep track

My goal was 1000 pages, but if I count what I finish today to make up for hours on the road and away yesterday (about 8 hours away), I will hit my 1000 mark.

I hope to do better next time. This is fun and really motivates me to set aside reading time.

message 31: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments Shay wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "Let me know if that book is any good Shay...I saw it and it looks pretty good."

I'm a little over 1/3 of the way in. It's a good book. I'm not sure if I would say great. No spoile..."

One of my best friends, who is a French teacher, read this book and has been raving about it. She just loved it and is insisting we get it for our library.

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments Final stats:

Read: (approx. hours spent)
(8hrs) One for the Money (320 pages) ****
(2hrs)Inking Aaron (81 pages) ****
Got half-way through:
(5hrs)Wicked Appetite (206 / 313 pages)
Listened to:

Total: 607 pages
Total Hours Read: approx. 15 hours
Total Hours Listened: 0
Longest stretch: about 3 hours at a time

I actually did better than I thought I would.

message 33: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments I only got a total of about 4 hours reading time with lots of interruptions...
I finished City of Bones Started at 142 of 351 pages. (209 pages)
And I got about 50 pages into City of Ashes

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments I liked that series too Meghan, I find myself recommending them to other YA readers a lot.

message 35: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments I really liked the first one and was fitting it into a few challenges. The second also fits into them, but I will probably not finish it by this Tuesday.

message 36: by Amy (last edited Nov 28, 2010 07:40PM) (new)

Amy I had a day filled with interruptions as well, so I didn't accomplish much. I read 200 pages of Doomsday Book by Connie Willis and listened to about 3 hours of The Passage by Justin Cronin.