Terminalcoffee discussion

Books / Writing > Music for Reading?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Do you listen to music while reading? I find my own personal heaven on my living room couch with the Mozart station streaming on Pandora from my iPhone plugged into the speaker/player/dock thingy. Anything but classical is too distracting to read with.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I rarely read while listening to music. Just can't do it.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I like soft music playing in the background: classical,especially Vivaldi, judy collins, celtic woman, The Great American Songbook, ballads...baroque music...but only when I do not have a headache. Migraines make me sound sensitive.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i can listen to any music i feel like listening to while reading, it doesn't have to be background music and it usually isn't. i might take a short break from reading to sing along to a song.

message 5: by Afiq (new)

Afiq Asyran (afiqasyran) | 4 comments I play slow music like Athlete- Wire, The Morning Benders-Excuses, etc with volume down while reading.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I'm the opposite of Leslie. I can listen to most things, but I can't focus on my book with classical music playing. That type of music demands more attention. It also has much more frequent volume and meter changes, which require closer listening.

In general, the only time music is playing while I'm reading it (the music) is for someone else.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I need quiet when reading.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments You have a horror of SF also?! Sorry, couldn't resist.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24354 comments Mod
I generally prefer total quiet for reading.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Shh!

message 11: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Yes, I need music while I'm reading! I'll read and sing at the same time. I'm like Myles with the books and songs being tied together.

message 12: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Quiet for me, please.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I can tune out sounds, I should say, but not music. People talking, esp. in public, they don't exist for me when I'm reading.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments It has been remarked that once I start a book, the house could burn down and I would not notice. Probably true. but the music will be sublimely subliminal.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn  (ktron) | 8 comments I seldom do but I found that I really enjoyed reading and studying with Stan Getz on.

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Myles wrote: "janine wrote: "i can listen to any music i feel like listening to while reading, it doesn't have to be background music and it usually isn't. i might take a short break from reading to sing along t..."

found myles.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Is this like a Waldo thing?

message 18: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments who is waldo?

message 19: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 28, 2010 03:44AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) He's the guy you have to find in the Where's Waldo? pictures.

[image error]

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments American trivia, Janine. This was a visual puzzle that they used to print in the Sunday newspapers: "Where's Waldo?" The drawing was very complex and detailed, and Waldo's face was hidden in it. There may still be some papers that print this feature--it was intended mostly for kids--but my local one doesn't do it anymore.

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments found him!

message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Oh. I see Stacia already answered, and with the visuals too. Way to go, Stacia!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's going on 5 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet. Instead I'm looking up random crap pictures on the internet. Go me!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

A bit of trivia, Waldo's name is Wally in Australia. I wonder why the name change?

message 25: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I thought that Wally was a somewhat rude thing to call a person in Australia, or is that England where it's insulting to call someone a Wally? Here it's completely innocuous.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

It is a bit insulting but often used with close friends when they do something dumb. My brothers name is Wally.

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Hah!

message 28: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 28, 2010 04:10AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Have you ever seen the movie Kingpin?

You just made me think about when they talk of being "Munsoned" in that movie.

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Woody Harrelson?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Speaking of random crap I'm finding on the internet.

If you read this title a certain way it looks like it's telling you about blue balls :

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) OH, this is SO a music thread now, isn't it?

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Stacia wrote: "If you read this title a certain way it looks like it's telling you about blue balls"

How long did you say you've been up?

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Michele wrote: "I like soft music playing in the background: classical,especially Vivaldi, judy collins, celtic woman, The Great American Songbook, ballads...baroque music...but only when I do not have a headache...."

Oh, yeah I have a couple of Celtic stations on Pandora, Celtic Woman I think has a couple, one is Celtic Woman Christmas or something like that.

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Phil wrote: "I'm the opposite of Leslie. I can listen to most things, but I can't focus on my book with classical music playing. That type of music demands more attention. It also has much more frequent volum..."

I know what you mean! Tchaikovsky is too distracting to me because is melodies carry me away and I start picturing ballerinas and swans and giant rodents wielding swords. Mozart brings up no visuals for me, so it works.

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Stacia wrote: "He's the guy you have to find in the Where's Waldo? pictures.

"

It's funny, I saw so many Waldo's for Halloween this year. They were all tall skiny guys too. Hilarious!

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Stacia wrote: "Have you ever seen the movie Kingpin?

You just made me think about when they talk of being "Munsoned" in that movie."

Kingpin. A most hilarious and yet completely disgusting movie. The very definition of guilty pleasure.

message 37: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Stacia wrote: "He's the guy you have to find in the Where's Waldo? pictures.

"

He's next to the table on the left, above the middle of the picture. The table has boots or socks or something on it.

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Actually those kind of puzzles are good for your brain and are recommended for people over 40 to prevent early onset alzheimer's.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Jonathan wrote: "

How long did you say you've been up?"

If it's longer than 4 hours seek immediate medical assistance.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't mind music when I read, but I rarely have it on. For writing I prefer classical music just because it distracts me less. I think secretly I prefer that for reading too. I listened to my iPod on shuffle while I read Fire Watch on the bus home from New York, and when the score of Hush (the silent Buffy episode) came up, I suddenly found the reading much easier. Creepier, but easier.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I seem to be in the vast minority on this topic. I prefer, nay, require music while reading, especially for school. Often I'll even turn on a movie I've seen a bajillion times in the background. I just like to have something hypnotic and rhythmic to turn the pages by.

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I make good reading mixes (Jackie told me so once). My faves for reading:

Astrud Gilberto, Joao Gilberto, Stan Getz, okay... bossa nova in general, Django Reinhardt, Xavier Cugat, French music... I like the whole I'd like to be whisked away on a magical journey vibe that I get from listening to foreign music - it adds to the escapism of reading experience.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like reading in front of the TV too.

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melro14) | 6 comments I like to read to classical music or soft music with no words. I am easily distracted!

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Welcome to TC Melissa.

message 46: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I can't read with music or the radio on. If anything, faint classical is okay, but I don't even register it so I don't bother putting it on. Lately I've been putting on audio books when I go to bed. "Reading" without straining my eyes.

message 47: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I like quiet. The birds are allowed to sing.

message 48: by Alex (new)

Alex | 4 comments I like to listen to classical music and occasionally rock (Talking Heads, Radiohead, Beatles, Dylan) while I read. [For those of you who might object to the weight of the clauses in the first sentence: I like to read while I listen to classical music and occasionally rock (Talking Heads, Radiohead, Beatles, Dylan.] If you haven't checked out booktunes.net, where literature and music cross paths, please do.

message 49: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24354 comments Mod
Usually I read in silence but occasionally I'll put some very modern (1940s on) classical music on, which is less distracting than older classical music.

Right now, George Crumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8RjL...