Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is a fantastic question. I can explain why I love eels so much, I think, but when you try to explain a love music with words, well, that doesn't always work with non-fans. You want to play them some songs and say, "See? Aren't they the greatest?" while the listener politely nods and slowly backs away.

Also, driving across the midwest to see the same band three times in one summer makes me feel like a boy band fangirl, but I don't care, I was, as "super into" eels.

But I'm not exclusive or anything. I love other bands, too, but not like I did eels a couple years back. This year, by the way, I only saw them once.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Not a big rock fan but would go see Bonnie Raitt if she was playing nearby (Manchester,Concord,Nashua NH). More a folk music kind of person...loved watching the "hootenannies" on TV when I was 12 or so.

message 3: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Not really, no. I pretty much know exactly why I like the bands/music I like.

But recently Duran Duran came up on my iPod. I loaded them on years ago but haven't listened to them in ages. While I was folding laundry I paid attention to the lyrics and was all, WHAT THE EFF IS SIMON LEBON SINGING ABOUT?!?!? Seriously, their lyrics are so moronic.

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments I've had my musical obsessions over the years (Kiss, The Who, Stones, Ramones, The Clash, Stooges, Mott the Hoople, New York Dolls, etc.), but they're now either all dead, broken up, dragging the brand name through the mud with replacements, or in the middle of a 14-year farewell tour.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I can't explain why I love to listen to Don Walser singing "Rose Marie."

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Clark wrote: "I've had my musical obsessions over the years (Kiss, The Who, Stones, Ramones, The Clash, Stooges, Mott the Hoople, New York Dolls, etc.), but they're now either all dead, broken up, dragging the b..."

Would you believe it, I heard the Eagles play at an all day festival. They were not the headliners. The premier band was "Black Oak Arkansas". I heard the Eagles long before their 1st hit. Of course, I don't quite remember the music. I do remember some of the party at the festival. Had a great time. It was in my wild child days. Well, wild child providing I had child care for my 4 yr.old.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments KD, you should read, if you haven't already, Steve Almond's Rock and Roll With Save Your Life. I bet your library system has it. If not, you know to whom you should complain.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69...

message 8: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments @Koeeoaddi, that was...umm...well it was......I guess someone has to like it, right? Notice I did not run away screaming, although I do suspect I may have a permanent twitch in my left eye from now on.

message 9: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Ko, I love you anyway, you old folkie.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I take a certain amount of flak for my love of Steely Dan. I don't care, I love the Dan. I love the lyrics, the rhythms, and the snarky voice of Donald Fagen.

If you think they're just mellow dentist office music, you're not paying attention. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I thought I just DID, KD! The lyrics, the snaky rhythms, the snarky voice.
And that one chord they do, love that too.

Plus, they're funny:
"Is there gas in the car? Yes, there's gas in the car."
Hee!

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Okay, just finished watching the PBS special about the American Folk Music Movement in the late '50s,in the '60s and 70's too. then stayed up to watch the Jeff Beck tribute to the music of Les Paul. "diggin' it man". and I enjoy Steely Dan as well.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yay, Michele!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments This song has all the reasons I love Steely Dan. Do It Again

Minor key gloriousness, with a fantastically awful album cover and an intriguing storyline. I do love music in a minor key.

Plus, I think Donald Fagen might be a vampire, and NOT a sparkly one. Seriously!!!

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I enjoy music with lyrics I can understand, music that does not screech ...lyrics that inspire us to do better, be better people. lyrics that tell a story (e.g.: "I dreamt I saw Joe Hill last night." and then went on to tell me who Joe Hill was. Music that makes me want to change the world..makes me want to take on a cause and work for it. Music that does not dazzle with extraneous smoke,fog,flashing lights, 10,000 dancing extras, outragous costumes but concentrates on the music and lyrics and means something that will make a difference to and in the world.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn  (ktron) | 8 comments I'm kind of completely obsessed with Prince and can't really explain why. He's been my favorite artist since I was like fourteen. So good.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Kathryn wrote: "I'm kind of completely obsessed with Prince and can't really explain why. He's been my favorite artist since I was like fourteen. So good."

So was my ex. He had Prince and The Doors on permanent rotation. Because of him, I developed a love for Prince and a hatred for The Doors.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Kathryn wrote: "I'm kind of completely obsessed with Prince and can't really explain why. He's been my favorite artist since I was like fourteen. So good."

I'm not obsessed but I love Prince.

message 19: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't expect anyone to understand why i like hudson mohawke and grampall jookabox. or why the term psychedelic folk music appeals to me (even though i didn't like the music).

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Why in the name of god would you listen to Steely Dan?!!!

There is no good answer to this question. They suck. So bad.

Prince is great, though.:)

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael King Dinösaur wrote: "But now tell me why? Why in the name of god would you listen to Steely Dan?!!! That's what I want to know!"

The only Steely Dan song I like is My Old School but I don't even like that one all that much because the lyrics read like an inside story that I'm not privy to.

message 22: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Alright I’m going to try to explain why I like metal. There are entirely too many songs and artists that make me feel the following way to pick just one.

When I hear one of the songs that I love, it’s like the music flows through me and plucks an inner string…it resonates with something inside of me. When the drums are pounding and the guitars are screaming, everything inside me longs to become part of the music. I wanna turn it up so loud I can feel every beat vibrate through me and wrap it around me like a chaotic blanket…It’s rage and ecstasy, sorrow and elation, love and hate, frustration and release, black and white, all wrapped up in one beautifully delivered package. I don’t just want to sing the lyrics, I want to scream them. Some songs even touch that dark place deep inside that is so taboo, giving it an outlet without making me an outcast.

Well, that was very dramatic. But that’s the only way I could think of to describe it….unless saying it’s like an extreme sport for your mind describes it better?

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I agree with KD.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I play Steely Dan REALLY LOUD. Does that help? :)
And they do NOT suck. They are snarky and awesome and their lyrics tell stories.

Although I do agree sometimes musicians can be too smart for their own good. I don't get Philip Glass, for example.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have heard Jackie sing Steely Dan music.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael Alecia wrote: "Well, that was very dramatic. But that’s the only way I could think of to describe it….unless saying it’s like an extreme sport for your mind describes it better?"

I'm not much of a metal fan, but that was good.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael King Dinösaur wrote: "Don't mean to turn this into an anti-Steely Dan thread, but I guess what I'm saying is this: When you think of rock 'n' roll, do you think of these guys:"

I get your point, but if those three pictures are the only ones I have to choose from I'm going with Steely Dan!

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i don't obsess on any group long term but i do obsess with certain CD's (albums) occasionally. last one i went goofy for was Santana's Supernatural

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hey, this thread was SUPPOSED to be about a music obsession that's hard to explain, KD.
You have Slayer, I have Steely Dan.

Okay, I don't think I've ever LISTENED to Slayer, I may like them. It's possible.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm secretly snarky, KD. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm suddenly wondering what kind of music KD thinks I should like, instead of Steely Dan.
Librarian music? What would that be???

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!! You got me, KD! I do love Giles! Is that when he's singing "Behind Blue Eyes"?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.