My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

Issues > Can You Go Too Far For Love?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments Just wondering at what you think , at what point does love turn in stupidity?, what boundries are you really not willing to cross for someone you love?

I'm starting this disscussion because I met an older lady (the mother-in-law of my dad's cousin) with a very interesting story: her family disowned her

*Now as an American I really can't feel what it must have been like due to the fact that I really hate nazis just like everyone else*

OK her father and three brothers were fighting in WWII but the family was from Cologne, Germany so they were fighting for the Germans.After the Allies win the war she falls in love with a US service man from San Antonio. They get married and she moves with him to Texas

Because of this her parents and siblings never contacted her again :(

What are your boundries, I personally would never let myself fall in love with a:
criminal or a person from a country the US was at wars with

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten If you really love the person... I don't think it really matters what country they are from. Even if they are on an enemy side in a war. But my limits would be someone who wouldn't even consider even looking into my church, or someone who is completely against it. If he's a nice guy and shares interests and standards, it's not quite as big of a deal... I wouldn't think it would be that bad if I fell in love with him. He just would have to not mind my church. Anyway... that's just my boundaries. I wouldn't care if they were a criminal, as long as they had completely turned around. I wouldn't care if they were from a country at war with our country as long as he isn't completely for his side....
So I guess I wouldn't let myself fall in love with someone who doesn't share my standards. That's the minimum. There are other things that could be thrown in, like someone who would hold me back from my dreams or someone who would never allow me to travel would also be people I would never let myself fall in love with. But those aren't as important as similar standards.
That's just what I think. Sorry me thinking about it was so long... haha.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments and I would probably date someone who had a different religion, but never an atheist, mabye (and I mean maybe) an agnostic

message 4: by Courtney (last edited Nov 26, 2010 10:41PM) (new)

Courtney | 336 comments anyone I date would have to be tolerant of my beliefs, an atheist definantly could be tolerant just like any other religion, i just don't know how that would go

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments I would prefer to date someone more moderate in their religious beliefs. I would be fine as long as they weren't too far to either side (fundamentalist theist or militant atheist).

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments would anyone hear date someone who had a serious criminal background?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Hmmmm...it depends on how they got that serious criminal background. If they got it by going all Hannibal Lector on their past girl friends, I would probably have to decline any advances. Just sayin'.

message 8: by Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten (last edited Nov 27, 2010 01:33PM) (new)

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Courtney wrote: "would anyone hear date someone who had a serious criminal background?"

Depends. If they are sorry for what they did, repented, and swore never to do whatever they did again... fine. Otherwise.... no.

message 9: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) i probably would date someone from a different religion, just as long as they don't put down my religion. i would also like it if we could learn a little bit about each other's religion. i don't know about dating a criminal, if it wasn't a serious crime then i would be okay with it.

would you move to a new country to be with someone you love? it would take a lot of thought, but obviously you would have to do it if you had been with the person for a very long time and if you think your relationship is going to work out.

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten would you move to a new country to be with someone you love?

Of course.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments me too, but it depends on country, North Korea= no

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments no , I'm just making an example that I wouldn't move to a country where human rights were rescricted

message 13: by Courtney (last edited Dec 04, 2010 09:30PM) (new)

Courtney | 336 comments ^^ true