Chicks On Lit discussion

Best prices online?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) So where does everyone find the best deals online? I still love Amazon, but lately have found the lowest prices at Thriftbooks.com. I pretty much only order "Like New" or "Very good" to avoid being disappointed by anything too shabby, but have been happy with everything I've ordered from them so far.

Elizabeth (Alaska) My favorite place for not necessarily new condition books is Alibris.com. They have listings from most online used sources, including Thriftbooks.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "My favorite place for not necessarily new condition books is Alibris.com. They have listings from most online used sources, including Thriftbooks."

Oh, yeah, I think I bought from them once or twice but it's been a while.

message 4: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments I just went on the alibris site for the first time. There are some good deals there! I am curious about shipping costs, though, and was not able to get any quotes on shipping until I entered my credit card (which I opted not to do). What are the average costs for shipping a couple of books?

Now I'm off to check out Thriftbooks.....

Elizabeth (Alaska) Here is their link regarding shipping. I think they always have some free shipping bargains, but I've never found the books I wanted to be in that group.

http://www.alibris.com/help/shipping

message 6: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments Thanks, Elizabeth, that's very helpful! And there are some great $0.99 deals.

message 7: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Leslie wrote: "So where does everyone find the best deals online? I still love Amazon, but lately have found the lowest prices at Thriftbooks.com. I pretty much only order "Like New" or "Very good" to avoid bei..."

I get a lot of my used books from betterworldbooks.com - it's the same concept as Thriftbooks. As a warning, they will mark which copies are library copies. So, keep in mind that a "good" library copy isn't as good as a "regular good" copy. If there are multiple copies available from different sources, you can order a non-library copy. Free shipping in US, no minimum purchase. They have frequent sales; I've noticed a sale goes on every holiday.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Gillian wrote: "I just went on the alibris site for the first time. There are some good deals there! I am curious about shipping costs, though, and was not able to get any quotes on shipping until I entered my cre..."

Alibris does charge for shipping and doesn't really discount much for multiple purchases. It's there somewhere on the website. I like Thriftbooks cos now they do free shipping on everything and if you buy a book, you get 50 cents off the next one bought the same day and so on.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Shay wrote: "Leslie wrote: "So where does everyone find the best deals online? I still love Amazon, but lately have found the lowest prices at Thriftbooks.com. I pretty much only order "Like New" or "Very goo..."

Yay! Off I go to check it out!

message 10: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments All of these sites are great! I've got to show some restraint, however.....

message 11: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Gillian wrote: "All of these sites are great! I've got to show some restraint, however....."

It's kind of hard to show restraint when you can buy just one book and get free shipping. I find myself indulging in a lot of impulse buys because I only have to buy 1 book. At B & N or Amazon, I'll stop myself because free shipping is for purchases over $25, but how can you stop yourself from buying a $4 book with free postage?

message 12: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments Shay wrote: "Gillian wrote: "All of these sites are great! I've got to show some restraint, however....."

It's kind of hard to show restraint when you can buy just one book and get free shipping. I find myself..."

You're right, Shay. I just checked out of the Better World Books site and have 7 used books coming my way which were all in the bargain bin so I bought them for $3 each including shipping. I couldn't show restraint after all!

message 13: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Gillian wrote: "Shay wrote: "Gillian wrote: "All of these sites are great! I've got to show some restraint, however....."

It's kind of hard to show restraint when you can buy just one book and get free shipping. ..."

I bought 21 books once. Right after my husband bought me a Nook, which was supposed to reduce all of the book clutter around the house. So, he wasn't really happy about it. But, I told him that their profits went to reading charities and libraries. He said it was okay, then, since it was for charity.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Shay wrote: "Gillian wrote: "All of these sites are great! I've got to show some restraint, however....."

It's kind of hard to show restraint when you can buy just one book and get free shipping. I find myself..."

EXACTLY!!! Ahem, that is exactly my weakness with Thrifbooks. And I do so love knowing something is on its way to me in the mail.

message 15: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments Shay wrote: "Right after my husband bought me a Nook, which was supposed to reduce all of the book clutter around the house. So, he wasn't really happy about it. But, I told him that their profits went to reading charities and libraries. He said it was okay, then, since it was for charity."

Ha, and this is how I worked it- I told him how I found a great website to buy books and is there anything he is looking for? Two books for him, 7 for me! ;)

message 16: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Half.com also has some good book prices.

I am considering getting a Kindle sometime in the future, but wanted to find out what people say about getting the books downloaded online and the costs. Any comments?

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Gillian wrote: "Shay wrote: "Right after my husband bought me a Nook, which was supposed to reduce all of the book clutter around the house. So, he wasn't really happy about it. But, I told him that their profits ..."

What skill you have. Must have taken years to perfect.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Dolly wrote: "Half.com also has some good book prices.

I am considering getting a Kindle sometime in the future, but wanted to find out what people say about getting the books downloaded online and the costs. ..."

Oh, I've never been there...off I go...

message 19: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments Leslie wrote: "Gillian wrote: "Shay wrote: "Right after my husband bought me a Nook, which was supposed to reduce all of the book clutter around the house. So, he wasn't really happy about it. But, I told him tha..."
Leslie, I would say that I'm nowhere near perfect, but I am practicing, practicing, practicing ;)

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1311 comments Gillian wrote: "Shay wrote: "Gillian wrote: "All of these sites are great! I've got to show some restraint, however....."

It's kind of hard to show restraint when you can buy just one book and get free shipping. ..."

I love Better World Books too as long as you aren't in any hurry for them. I try to take advantage of the sales!! They are awesome. :)