Southern California Readers discussion

West Hollywood Book Fair

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Barbara Is everyone going to the W. Hollywood book Fair on the last Sunday of this month? I'll be sitting on a panel at 3:00 called "How to Make a Book a Success." If you Google West Hollywood Book Fair, you'll arrive at the home page. Come say hi if you go.

message 2: by Elaine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Elaine (urbanbamboo) Is this fair similar to the L.A. Times Book Fest, but smaller?

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Barbara Much smaller but of a high quality. I've been going the last three or so years and it's great.

message 4: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Patrick | 8 comments Thanks for the reminder, Barbara! I'll try to be there. By the way, have you had a chance to make it down to Laguna Beach Books yet?

message 5: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

rivka Given how near this is to where I live and work, I'm amazed I've never heard of it before. It looks like a lot of fun -- for me and my kids. I'm in!

Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Oh, and here's the link: http://www.westhollywoodbookfair.org/

message 6: by Elaine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Elaine (urbanbamboo) I was just at Laguna Beach Books last weekend! I loved it. I do miss the old Pottery Shack, though. :-)

message 7: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

rivka On the way to work today I noticed signs about this on all the streetlights for about a mile.

. . . Somehow, I doubt they were just put up. Apparently, I'm oblivious. ;) So thanks again, Barbara!

message 8: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Barbara I hardly noticed what's on signs, either, Rivka. There's lots of info on the web site, and pretty much a good panel in every slot. It's on a much smaller lot than the LA Times Festival of Books, therefore easier to cover. Lots of booksellers, lots of local color.

message 9: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Deborah | 1 comments I'm a bit too far from West Hollywood now - I moved to West Virginia, but it is a great book fair, and my father (whom I like to call the "World Famous Author") is quite often there. Not sure he's going this year, but if you see a Robert S. Levinson (mysteries) there make sure you tell him his daughter told y'all to say "Howdy." ::grin::

message 10: by Karen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Karen Germain If I have the day off from work, I will be there! Thank you for posting about it here, I don't think that I would have heard about it otherwise.

message 11: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Barbara It was great to meet you at the fair yesterday, Rivka. Were your kids with you?

message 12: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

rivka Two of them were. They were over at the kids' section, picking up frisbees and balloons and decorating bookmarks and fans. And watching a really marvelous presentation of Peter and the Wolf. And I got to meet Jerry Pournelle and Todd McCaffrey -- and you! :)

We had a lot of fun.

message 13: by rivka (last edited Sep 06, 2008 09:56PM) (new)

rivka *bump*

Anybody going this year? (Well, Barbara, obviously. ;) )

I haven't decided for sure. I'd like to, but Rosh Hashana starts the next evening. But I can probably fit in at least a short visit.

message 14: by waking beasts (new)

waking beasts | 3 comments too bad I joined too late, that fair sounds like it was pretty interesting

message 15: by rivka (new)

rivka Most of the comments are from last year. This year's fair is in just under two weeks! :)

message 16: by waking beasts (new)

waking beasts | 3 comments great thanks, sounds like a worthy event.I hadn't heard of it yet. Thanks for the info.

message 17: by rivka (new)

rivka It was a lot of fun last year. Maybe I'll see you there this year.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara That'd be great. I'm moderating an agents panel in the afternoon at 2:00. Say hi if you stop by.

message 19: by waking beasts (new)

waking beasts | 3 comments I've told some friends about this event, and hopefully someone will be able to attend. I will unfortunately be in San Fran that weekend.Does anyone know of other events similar to this which take place in Los Angeles?
Thanks!