Jane Austen discussion

Fall 2010 Movie Discussions > November 26--Stardust

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
For the next two weeks, we are discussing the 2007 film Stardust, starring Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Robert De Niro. It's a romantic fantasy, and an adaptation of Neil Gaiman's book of the same name. Enjoy!

message 2: by Gemma (last edited Dec 13, 2010 12:25PM) (new)

Gemma | 25 comments I'm so glad we're discussing this movie! I saw the movie then read the book, and while I enjoyed them both, the movie for its heightened fairy-tale aspect and the book for its quirky humor, there are some major differences. The movie was a bit more romanticized and had more of a Hollywood ending. I loved Robert De Niro in his role here! Those who've seen the movie know what I'm talking about, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't. You'll have to watch it and see.

message 3: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments I actually enjoyed the movie's ending more than the book's since I felt it was hanging in the novel. Hollywood does create a cute adaptation with its major differences from the novel. De Niro's role for one is killer.

Reminds me to re-read and re-watch. It has a certain "holiday" feel to me.

message 4: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

I got to rewatch this again over the weekend, and I am still in love with this film!

I think the story is ingenious to begin with--the way the Stormhold royal bloodline ties it all together is fabulous. There are thrilling and hilarious parts, and the romance couldn't be better. (Which is great for me because it's always my favorite part of anything!)

You're right, Tanja--De Niro is awesome, and quite different from what we're used to seeing him! Claire Danes has always been one of my fave actresses, and Charlie Cox is a cutie!

I think it's time for me to read the book!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments I loved this movie!! I added the book to my to-read list and cannot wait to read it. The differences that you guys have mentioned between the two have definitely piqued my interest!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim wrote: "I loved this movie!! I added the book to my to-read list and cannot wait to read it. The differences that you guys have mentioned between the two have definitely piqued my interest!"

Kim, I read both versions of the book, first a public library copy of just the novel, without illustrations and then I bought my own copy, but the graphic novel edition, the same text but illustrated by Charles Vess. If you want to read it I would definately recommend to get the illustrated edition. Charles Vess' painting are beautiful and add many details to the text. I actually think the book was originally written to be published illustrated.

I just found out you were discussing this film! I loved it, both graphic novel and film. I read the book before watching it, but I agree with you, the ending of the film is better, at least more spectacular. I loved the part on the Witches' Palace. I still think it kept the feeling of old-fashioned fairy tales from the book, even with the important changes of the plot. And the cast is amazing! (I got a bit of a crush with Charlie Cox ;)

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina I just finished watching this movie for the 1st time. A little odd, but overall a cute story with a happy ending. The pirates were fun and oh so loyal ;-). Michelle Pfieffer can do no wrong in my book and even when she's losing her witches beauty, she's still beautiful. It was nice to see Tristan turn from an awkward lovesick dork to a capable man.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I tried to get the movie from the library, what year was this made. Their was no Claire Danes in the cast, or Michelle Pfeiffer, either..

message 9: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Hello Robin, this one is from 2007.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I shall try to see if it is listed at my library, thanks Sabrina.

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments What I love with the movie is their attention to detail with the Princes. Did you notice the 7s all over Septimus (pattern on the coat, buttons)?

Shame De Niro's role was brief in the film else I'd have recommended him for a comedy nomination. His little heart-shaped beauty mark caused me to snicker loudly.

message 12: by Manda (new)

Manda (pemberliegh) | 96 comments Yeah, this one made my DVD (and book) to-own list. I thought the adaptation was pretty well done. It was fun, tongue-in-cheek hilarious, charming, romantic, and full of adventure. My closest comparison was that it felt like The Princess Bride for the current generation. I'm fairly biased on TPB side, since I grew up with that one, but I got the same vibe from this one...

message 13: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (last edited Feb 08, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Manda wrote: "Yeah, this one made my DVD (and book) to-own list. I thought the adaptation was pretty well done. It was fun, tongue-in-cheek hilarious, charming, romantic, and full of adventure. My closest compar..."

Yes, this film does compare to The Princess Bride Manda, a fact a lot of critics pointed out when this film was released--in a good way! Having just finished the book, I can also agree that the adaptation is done well--there are things in the film I actually prefer to the book! Both this film and TPB will always be favorites with me!

message 14: by Manda (last edited Feb 08, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Manda (pemberliegh) | 96 comments Rachel wrote: "Yes, this film does compare to The Princess Bride Manda, a fact a lot of critics pointed out when this film was released--in a good way! Having just finished the book, I can also agree that the adaptation is done well--there are things in the film I actually prefer to the book! Both this film and TPB will always be favorites with me!"

Sweet! I hardly ever read the professional critics because they don't usually align with my POV, but it looks like everyone can agree on Stardust. There were things I liked better about the movie, too, and how often does that happen?!

...sorry, Neil Gaiman, no slight on the book - that was fun, too...