Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Who is Jessica Lansing?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/7...

The librarian change log on Messages from Michael says that "Goodreads" added a second author, Jessica Lansing.

There's no secondary author on this book. There is a medium named Jessica who is discussed in the book, but the only author is Yarbro.

So who did this and why?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44982 comments Mod
When it says that GR added an author, it means it was imported, 95% of the time from B&N. Including this time.

Sometimes it is wrong. However, this time WorldCat agrees, and says "The communications from Michael received by Jessica Lansing."

message 3: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Yes, Jessica received the communications, but Jessica didn't write the book; Yarbro did. Yarbro is a member of the Michael group that wrote down all the messages and was entrusted by the group with the writing of the book, and was given the copyright by the group. Jessica had nothing to do with the writing of the book. Yarbro has always been the only author of these Michael books.

I don't think Jessica should be credited as "author." And WorldCat doesn't say that Jessica is the author, just that she received the messages. This information could be in the description, but I don't think it should be in the author field.

message 4: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments The other 7 editions of the book don't list her as an author either.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments World Cat DOES give Jessica Lansing as an author of the book, but I don't know where they get their information from. However she isn't listed on the book cover as an author - does anybody have a copy of the book to see if she's listed as an author on the title page?

message 6: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments I do, and she isn't.

message 7: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments And the Lib. of Congress doesn't mention Jessica, either. I'm going to delete her as an author and mention "Jessica" (a pseudonym of the real medium) in the description.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44982 comments Mod
Sounds reasonable to me.

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Those extra B&N authors have been wrong before, so if that's the source and you have good reason to doubt it I wouldn't worry about removing it.

message 10: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Veddy good, thanks. And it's done.