This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate hating people

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I live in a large metropolitan area. I go to work on the subway/metro/whatever you want to call it. I see a lot of the same people every day. I have perfected my standoffish look – almost to the point of an art form. I’ve got it down so good (well?) that people rarely speak to me. That is what I want. I don’t want to talk to strangers. I don’t want small talk. I just want to go to work, put in my 10-12 hours, and go home to the wife and kids. I rarely even talk to my co-workers unless it is required to get my job done. So while I usually enjoy being unapproachable, sometimes I wonder if there’s something wrong with that. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) yes

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Actually when I first saw you on GR, Rusty, I thought, "Whoa, I better leave this guy alone. He looks standoffish."

message 4: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I know, Dave. It’s hard to turn it off. Just don't make any sudden movements.

Oddly enough, I think my attitude has to do with the fact that I’m a small town guy at heart. I was overwhelmed when I first got here (being from a town of 30,000), so I guess this is my way of dealing with it.

And when I go back home, I slowly revert back Small Town Rusty.

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) You and I would have a standoffish standoff on the subway/metro/whateverthefuckyouwannacallit. And I would win. Myeah!

message 6: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Gus, I briefly nod to affirm your superior standoffishness. But I don’t make eye contact.

Jackie "the Librarian" That's right. You can only do eye contact if you've got a crazy smile to go with it. That'll really keep people away.

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) True, Rusty, but we can have an impartial judge determine who's the more standoffish of the standoffish.

Servius  Heiner Like business socks!

Servius  Heiner I don't think there is anything wrong with being standoffish. Most people are not worth the effort. Besides, there are some very good reasons for people believing that you are insane... How many crazy people get mugged?

message 11: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Jackie, you make a good point. That is an effective way of avoiding small talk. You can also do it “prison style”, which involves biting the first person you see when you enter the metro car and burning yourself with cigarettes. Luckily, I haven’t had to raise it to that level, yet.

Gus, the location also needs to be impartial. Since you’re from NY, we’ll have to meet up in Chicago, or something.

Servius  Heiner You two should plan your standoff-o-thon around the taste of Chicago. Then you can gobble great food, and look disgruntled at the same time. Then again you might seriously offend the cook of the food you’re eating.... Ok so be friendly, chat each other up, buy food walk away from the stand then start your standoff-o-thon.

message 13: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments You're always thinking, Nick. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that.

Servius  Heiner hey, I have your back man.

message 15: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I’m glad somebody does, Nick.

And Sarah M. – you’re okay with the i-pod, until you get to the register. That’s really annoying, when people go to the register with headphones on, or while they’re talking on their cell phone. Cashiers have a tough enough job without some jerk half paying attention to them because they’re “multi-tasking”.

Servius  Heiner I'm just throwing it out there, some of those cooks pack quiet an ego. You really don't want to be the guy that offends them. All kinds of sharp things, and BBQ pits close at hand. Your mastery of the Standoffness wouldn't do you a bit of good against that storm.

message 17: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Bunny, I would pay good money to see you dismember someone - just because I think you would be so matter-of-fact and polite about it.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin i agree your not being rude with the headphones untiol your at the register i've waited FROEVER for people to get off the phone or somethin

and yes it would b quite the show to see bunny dismember someone

message 19: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill Rusty, that's the plan. Powers That Be want us all to relocate to urban centers, where, they can control our monvement while playing us off against each other via identity politics, all the while they will tax the shit directly from your colon. They want us to fear one another so they can prey upon that. Think on that as gas goes above 5$ a gallon and higher.

message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Good idea, Rusty. We'll square off on the El in the Windy City.

Servius  Heiner I suggest the setting of Belmont and Clark. You will find many people there that you wish to ignore. Some will be impossible to ignore, but it would be a true testament to your standoffness skills. People there are not easily put off. Whoever can stay un-engaged there is defiantly the standoff champ.

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin very true

message 23: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Alright Nick, but if someone attempts to take my brat, or my slice of pizza, the standoffishness standoff will be out the door, and it will get ugly real fast.

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin o ya definitely gotta save the pizza and brat =D

Servius  Heiner That is also a good possibility... I expect you to hear this line a few times

"Hey, brother are you going to eat all of that?"

And if you give him a nibble.

"Awe Man that was the shizznit, Say Brother do you have a smoke I can bum from you?"

For some reason, every time I have been in the Alley district and someone is expecting charity from you they call you brother. Like because humanity is in this together I need to share my smokes/food/wife whatever with you.

Be warned your standoffness will be tested.
This is more like the super bowl of standoffness, not an exhibition game.

Oh yes good sirs, conscripts need not join this fight of wills. So be warned and be prepared!
Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance!

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin r u selling tickets for ur super bowl of standoffness too?

Servius  Heiner Possibly...

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNADY!

Rusty Gus Productions presents Standoffish standoff.

These titans of doubt, messiahs of alone will engage in a heroic battle of wills.

Who will be able to repel the hordes of the strange, the legions of moochers. How will this fight turn out! Find out Thursday August 14.

YOUR TICKET BUYS THE WHOLE SEAT, BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin nice... i can see the adds now who wouldn't want to have edge seats to the biggest standoffish standoff of standoffs?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.