Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

How many Agatha Cristy books do you have?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
First of all, I have to say that I live in Mexico, and, recently has become very hard to find Agatha Christie's books. I have sixty six books so far and, still looking forward for more. So, I was curious of how many books you have...

message 2: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I have 18 here in England, written in English, and about 20 in Spain, written in Spanish.

The 'silly thing' is that some of them I have twice: same book in Spanish and English; this is because I got all the Spanish ones from my Auntie many years ago, but since I moved to England and learned English I prefer the original version, so I'm buying them again!

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
My English is not very good, so, I keep reading in Spanish, but, maybe someday I could read the original versions.
From now, I'm very happy, the last week I received three more books =)

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4630 comments Mod
I probably have 50 or more. I buy old paperbacks when I can find them but I also buy the nice leather bound copies too, although I rarely find them anymore.

message 5: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments I don't know how many, but rather few in respect to my great 'fanatism' of her writing. I started buying paperbacks but soon I realised that I didn't want them to be plain, simple paperbacks instead nicely published hard-covers, preferably also old ones :p And then I thought that they HAVE to be in English, I adore reading AC in original version so... I guess I need to organise a nice trip to Torquay :p I'm sure I could get something special there :p

message 6: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I have bought 5 more, including 'N or M?', a 1959 edition in its original plastic wrapping, which means I'm the 1st person in 51 years to open it... and it was only 50 pence!... I'm really excited about that!!

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

That's a great deal Deni. I try to buy the older paperbacks. I just like the way they look.

message 8: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments Deni wrote: I'm the 1st person in 51 years to open it Wow, lucky you!!!I can imagine it's exciting to get a book like that, even though it's not THAT old, and open it as the first person.
Deni wrote: it was only 50 pence! WHERE????????

message 9: by ✿ Deni (last edited Dec 16, 2010 12:11AM) (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) Daga wrote: " Deni wrote: I'm the 1st person in 51 years to open it Wow, lucky you!!!I can imagine it's exciting to get a book like that, even though it's not THAT old, and open it as the first person.

I found it totally by chance in a second hand book shop!!

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 28 comments Mod
i think j have all novels of her... after over 10 years hunting :P

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
omg... all of them?... I'm still looking for thirteen books =(

^ yes. all of them-- yeah, i got them after hunted everywhere :P

message 13: by Joellen (new)

Joellen | 1 comments I have inherited over one hundred from my Mom, with about 30 duplicates if you need one. I think there are only 2 missing from her entire collection.

message 14: by Carolyn F. (new)

Lucky! I'm jealous Joellen.

message 15: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) Joellen wrote: "I have inherited over one hundred from my Mom, with about 30 duplicates if you need one. I think there are only 2 missing from her entire collection."

Perfect Xmas present! lucky you!!!

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
Carolyn F. wrote: "Lucky! I'm jealous Joellen."

Joellen wrote: "I have inherited over one hundred from my Mom, with about 30 duplicates if you need one. I think there are only 2 missing from her entire collection."

Me too =)

NaÐa A. Muhammĕd | 1 comments all Buwaro novels i have it

message 18: by Lrmenon (new)

Lrmenon | 5 comments Just finished reading all of them except the ones under the alias Mary Westmacott. Didnt like those much.

Unfortunately havent been able to buy all of them. Still searching for them. Tried buying the paperbacks, but somehow didnt have the same satisfaction reading them.

message 19: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments OMG, I have almost got a heart attack :S I was looking for The Mystery of the Blue Train and I came across the facsimile edition :o I have no idea how I managed not to see it before. It's absolutely beautiful!!! OMG, why Christmas is so far away heheheehhehee
I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ALL BOOKS from this edition!!!

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Noel (1972booklover) I don't really have room for all the books I love, but I just bought a cd off ebay for my kindle with 75 Agatha Christie books on it!! Yay!!!!!

message 21: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments 1972booklover wrote: "I don't really have room for all the books I love, but I just bought a cd off ebay for my kindle with 75 Agatha Christie books on it!! Yay!!!!!" Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous :p
but did you get books or dramatisations (BBC radio spectacles)? I was considering getting some of my favourite, however now I need to save those money for this amazing facsimile edition ;)
And yes, that's very true that the space is essential in keeping all the books. In my case it's even harder as I move quite a lot so... I need to limit myself :s

message 22: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments ✿ Deni wrote: "I have bought 5 more, including 'N or M?', a 1959 edition in its original plastic wrapping, which means I'm the 1st person in 51 years to open it... and it was only 50 pence!... I'm really excited ..."

you are so lucky!

message 23: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments I have 21 of her books, one is in Romanian, three are in English, one in Polish and the rest is in Croatian. I want to get them all

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Noel (1972booklover) Daga wrote: "1972booklover wrote: "I don't really have room for all the books I love, but I just bought a cd off ebay for my kindle with 75 Agatha Christie books on it!! Yay!!!!!" Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."

I got the actual ebooks, not the dramatizations.

message 25: by Jasja (last edited Mar 13, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

Jasja I have 27 Agathie Christie "vijflingen" in Dutch (a 5 in 1 book; each consisting of 2 complete books and 3 short stories) and then I have a few (not too sure how many) books in English and a collection of ebooks (too lazy to count and check which I have double...sorry)

message 26: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments I ordered some of the books from facsimile editions :D I couldn't refrain myself :p and apparently the parcel is on its way ... can't wait to get hold of them. Oh, and that will make it 11, nicely put on the best shelf so that everyone can admire it :p hehehehehe ok, I'm getting overexcited about it, I know but I can't help it.
Actually, I was thinking that I could start collecting Christies books in those languages which I am able to read in... but as 1972booklover has notice, the space is the limit ;p but who knows...

message 27: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 300 comments I have 91 books and 2 autobiographies by Dame Aggie.

message 28: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments Christine, you win!

^ lol. i'm jelly :D

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I have all the Poirot books except Curtain which I just didn't want to read. I have six of the Miss Marple books and all of the Harley Quin short stories as well as the Tommy and Tuppence books (my least favorite). Can you tell that she is one of my favorites from the "golden age" of British mysteries????

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Noel (1972booklover) Jill, you HAVE to read "Curtain"!! :-)

message 32: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments Curtain - that book made me cry, but after all these years, I think I'll read it again

message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I'm sure you all are right but I just hate to have to say goodbye to Poirot.

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Noel (1972booklover) I know, but he's gone anyway, so it's a shame to miss a great book by Christie.

message 35: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments I totally agree with you, Jill

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I'm such a wimp!!! I did the same thing with the last Nero Wolfe book written by Rex Stout because I mistakenly thought that Wolfe was going to be killed.....got up the nerve to read it and it was terrific, with a real twist and Wolfe did not get killed. Maybe I will take your advice and read "Curtain" but since it made Ivana cry, I will wait for a while. I told you I'm a wimp!!!

message 37: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments ah, Jill..., it was a long, long time ago. tell you what, I'll find it and read it again and tell you how it was, ok?

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Noel (1972booklover) Now, I'm wanting to read it again, too, as it was years ago when I read it.

message 39: by Anne (new)

Anne | 6 comments The reason why AC wrote Curtain and Sleeping Murder was because she didn't want her characters to outlive her and other to capitalize on them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she was afraid she wouldn't survive WWII, and that's why she killed off Poirot and Miss Marple. They were both written, then published years later. You'll notice Curtain doesn't refer to a lot of Poirot's cases, because she hadn't written those books yet.

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Anne, I think you are correct. I knew that "Curtain" had been written many years before it was released and that she had written many other books during that time. But there was also another reason regarding Poirot.....she was tired of him. When you read her Poirot stories that contain the writer Ariadne Oliver, you will see that Christie was writing about herself.....Oliver is a crime writer with a detective of whom she had grown tired and wanted to get rid of, mirroring Christie's attitude toward Poirot.

message 41: by Pooja Anjali (new)

Pooja Anjali (wood_rabbit) | 1 comments I own maybe just 5 or 6 of her books but have read all of them (I think). It took me a long time though, to get around to reading Curtain. I think I read it only after having finished the rest. It was a long time ago but still I do not think I want to reread it.
Interesting information from Anne and Jill. I did not know that. Thanks.

message 42: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I think it would be hard for an author to sustain interest in their own characters after writing about them for years. Christie set Poirot's mannerisms and attitudes in the first books and didn't give herself much room to let him "grow" as some authors have done with their characters; i.e. fall in love, get married, get promoted,etc. So it's easy to see how she got tired of him.....luckily for us, she wrote a multitude of his adventures before she did away with him.

message 43: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments I just got my copy of Lord Edgware dies - Smrt lorda Edgwarea... :D :D :D

message 44: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Bought And there were none.

message 45: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments one of the best books ever!

message 46: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I agree, Ivana.....and it doesn't even have one of AC's usual detectives in it. It had a rather unfortunate title when first released which mirrored the times in which it was written.....but that has been corrected, thank Heavens.....in fact, that book has had three titles with "Then There Were None" being the most recent.

message 47: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments I have a copy in Croatian and it's called Deset malih crnaca - Ten little niggers

message 48: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) That was the original title....then it became "Ten Little Indians" and ended up as "Then There Were None"

message 49: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments I know, at the time the title was considered inappropriate, but since the first time I heard the original title, it stayed in my head... I even searched for the translation I read as I kid. It took me a long time to find it, but now it's mine :D

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Jill wrote: "That was the original title....then it became "Ten Little Indians" and ended up as "Then There Were None""
Thanks for the info Jill. I have read Ten Little Indians. Did not realize the title had changed.

« previous 1 3 4