Favorite Sewing Books discussion

Sewing Book Suggestions For Beginners

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 4 comments Alex-
Are you sewing for yourself or children? Children are easy to sew for, particularly girls. There's a lot of great online tutorials, some can be found on Sewmamasew.com. My first skirt I made for my daughter was from a tutorial on the blog House on Hill Road & it was great! The blog Made also has some great tutorials. If you're looking for adult clothes, Heather Ross' book, Weekend Sewing, is a good book w/ all levels of projects. I also learned a lot from Amy Karol's first sewing book. There's a lot of sewing basic info, but there aren't a lot of clothing projects.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
Beverly

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Alex,

I enjoy Threads magazine, however it may be a little advanced for your needs right now. Threads publishes a book called "Threads Sewing Guide: A Complete Reference from America's Best-Loved Sewing Magazine" which I haven't read but I've just added to my wish list for Christmas! Singer publishes a book called "The New Sewing Essentials" which is filled with photographs. It may be something for you to check out. I also like the tutorials on sewmamasew.com. The best thing you can do when you begin sewing clothing is to not be afraid of making mistakes. Make a sharp seam ripper your friend. The only way to learn is to make mistakes and learn from them. Also, if you are starting to get frustrated with a project then walk away, take a walk, drink some water or eat a meal, then go back with a fresh attitude. It also helps to make a mock up of whatever you are sewing using inexpensive fabrics. This will help to give you experience before you cut into your "precious" fabrics.
Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Lisa