Challenge: 50 Books discussion

E-Readers - Sony vs. Kindle

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri S. (new)

Sheri S. (sheaxma) Hello everyone!
Christmas will soon be here and Santa wants to bring me an E-Reader for Christmas! I've narrowed my research down to these two, The Sony Touch Edition and the Amazon Kindle.
Sony PROS: expandable memory, lightest weight, full touch screen and access to library e-books, CONS: expensive, not wireless and can only download books by hooking it up to the computer.
Kindle PROS: less costly, longer battery life, wi-fi access to largest book selection store, CONS: does not have any of Sony's PROS features!
So, I've hit an indecisive crossroads! Do I choose the Sony because of it's quality despite that it might be a pain to access books or do I choose the Kindle for the ease of accessibility in purchasing e-books instantly, anytime, anywhere from Amazon.com?
So if anyone has any opinions because you currently own one of these E-readers or you switched from the one type to the other and like or dislike it better, I'd love your input!
Thanks so much!

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (PaulaY) | 200 comments I don't have any electronic readers, but the people I have talked to who have a Kindle, LOVE it. They really like the accessibility, the lightness, etc. of it. And the fact the price has come way down is an added plus. Let us know what you decide.

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 331 comments I have a Kindle and I'm in love. The only problem I'm seeing is that book prices are going up a little on Amazon since publishers have realized that more and more people are using Kindle rather than buying print books. When I was first looking I just liked how the Kindle looked and felt better than the Sony. And since you'll be spending so much time using it, I think that's the most important factor when you're choosing it.
Can I ask why you ruled out the Nook? My Kindle was a gift, so I didn't get to choose really, but I've heard loads of praise about the Nooks.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 559 comments I have a Kindle and I love it. I like being able to download books from anywhere. Amazon offers free books and so far, the ones that I have chosen have been good.

message 5: by Frankie (new)

Frankie | 4 comments Hey Sheri, I have a Kindle and I absolutely love it. I'm a little annoyed tho for not waiting to get mine since i got it when it was still $265 and then 2 months later it dropped to $180 something, so now it's a steal! I got the 3G & Wireless version and it's awesome! I love that I can go online and check my email, facebook, google, nytimes, or any other website for absolutely free and anywhere I want. You don't need wifi to get on the internet and the websites are very easy to read and have an advanced version that's way better than your typical mobile phone web layout. What's also great is you can use mobi-pocket to convert any book you have or documents like pdf or word that is compatible with kindle. So say you download a book for free from a peer to peer file sharing website, you can then easily convert it to a Kindle compatible version and put it on your Kindle. So you're not limited to having to buy $10 books from amazon. What's also great is how easy you can look up the meaning of words on Kindle and not have to leave the page you were reading.

message 6: by Frankie (new)

Frankie | 4 comments Frankie wrote: "Hey Sheri, I have a Kindle and I absolutely love it. I'm a little annoyed tho for not waiting to get mine since i got it when it was still $265 and then 2 months later it dropped to $180 something,..."
Also one reason why expandable memory is not important on a Kindle is that you can hold over 1000 books on Kindle and 95% of people would never even get close to this.

message 7: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Tess I've done some research and read reviews, and it looks as though the Kobo by Borders is one of the best buys with the most to offer. You might want to check it out!

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 110 comments I have a Sony. I love it. I recently tried to "upgrade" to a Cruz tablet. It's another Borders product. I hated it. Thank goodness I didn't get rid of my Sony.

message 9: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments I absolutely love my Kindle....it gives me what I want...my books...I can access the Internet if I choose and purchasing a book is as easy as it gets...

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Tess Irene wrote: "I have a Sony. I love it. I recently tried to "upgrade" to a Cruz tablet. It's another Borders product. I hated it. Thank goodness I didn't get rid of my Sony."

The Cruz is actually made by Velocity Micro. It is sold with the Borders App, but is completely different than the Kobo. There was an article recently about the top e-readers, and the Kobo was considered the one that gave the most for your money.

That's the one I'm asking for, for Christmas this year!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Hayes (ahayes) | 16 comments Love my Kindle and if you ever have to replace it Amazon is a very reliable company.

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 110 comments I've heard some good things about the Kobo and it's got the best price of the major name brands but I'm just saying the Cruz was a total waste of money.
I've been wanting color so after my bad experience with the Cruz, I bought a Nookcolor- a whole different ball of wax. I love the Nookcolor! As far as readability,you can't beat eInk- the Sony is still better- but the Nookcolor with it's LCD screen is everything I hoped it would be- It's light weight, it's easy to use, it's responsive- it's got a micro SD slot- I love it.

message 13: by Sheri S. (new)

Sheri S. (sheaxma) Yeaaaah, my husband bought me a Sony Touch Edition E-Reader for Christmas! Now I just have to learn how to use it and then start downloading some books to read! Thanks to everyone for their input and comments!

message 14: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) I just know I LOVE my new kindle! I got it for Christmas, so nice!

unread topics | mark unread