Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > December Discussion: The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) December's epic fantasy book for discussion is The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks.
The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Here are some questions to consider while you read and discuss. Doing so is totally optional, of course.

1. Setting: What are your thoughts about the setting of this book?

2. First Impression: Were you wowed at reading the first page of this story? Or less than impressed?

3. Characters: What do you think about the characters of this novel? Do you like or dislike them? Were they well-drawn?

4. Plot: Does this story have a strong plot? Do you like the plot?

5. Pacing: How does the pacing strike you with this novel? Too fast, too slow, perfect?

6. Underlying themes: What were the underlying themes in your opinion?

7. Overall impression: Did you like this story? Why or why not? What did you or didn’t you like about this story?

8. Rating: Give this story a rating, either on a scale of 1-10 or stars.

9. Would you read more books by this author? Can you recommend books like this to people who enjoyed this novel?

Happy reading!

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I've heard so many great things about this series. I can't wait to dig in!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I hope I have time to read it this month!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (chromiumv12) | 6 comments Just started it. Looks promising! will comment when I delve further in

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I started it recently, too. So far, so good. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get back to it until Sunday. :(

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) I read this a couple of years ago (here's my review from Oct 2008). I'll make a stab at answering some of the questions proposed for discussion after rereading my review and perhaps skimming through the novel (one of the first novels I read as an ebook).

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I was listening to this at work, and then the holidays kicked in. So I've put it aside for now. Hopefully I can return to it soon! :)

message 9: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 114 comments Glad you enjoyed it Michael! I just didn't get around to reading it last month, but hopefully soon.

message 10: by Alvin (new)

Alvin (alvinr) I'm a bit late to this discussion, but wanted to add my 2 cents. On the plus side, I appreciated that there was pretty wide range of interesting characters, from beggars and slumlords to generals and kings. We get to see Azoth/Kylar grow from a hoodlum kid to be an assassin/wetboy who still has a conscience. The tough world of the young kids in the beginning of the story was a bit tough to read about, but it did set up the rest of the story.

Couple of things made it hard for me to really appreciate the book: (1) Why did Elene fess up about Kylar being a wetboy so easily? It seemed that she threw away 11 years of the good he gave her so easily when she claimed (erroneously) that Kylar killed Niner's son? (2) Logan had a lot of virtues, including intelligence, but it was apparent that it was book-smarts only. How could he have not known that Serah's reputation for sleeping around was true? It's hard for me to think that someone so oblivious would be favored by the people to be their king.

Despite the tough read in the beginning, I would recommend the book. If I had to rate it, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, but if I can't give half-stars, I'd round it up to 4 stars, since both Elene and Logan annoyed me, and I usually fall for the wholesome characters. I do plan to continue reading the series though!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I read this - and the second one, I just couldn't stop! - in January. Trying to make myself be a little more patient before starting the third book in the series.

BTW I saw on the group rules that this group only does 'first in a series' as a group read, but is there somewhere we can chat about later books with spoilers...?

I felt the setting pretty much disappeared, actually. There was a bit of description of architectural styles near the beginning, but after the first chapter the architecture didn't really matter to the story. Having said that, the general sense of grime and dirt came across throughout.

The characters were mostly pretty distinctive and well-rounded, with believable motivations. I like a book where whiter-than-white characters don't exist... and there certainly aren't *many* of those in here.

It raced along - which for my tastes, is perfect. (I felt the second one could have afforded to be longer.) I was caught from the first page and struggled to put it down.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Rachel, you can discuss future books of this series in this thread or you. Or you can go to the "Author" folder and see if there's a Brent Weeks thread.

message 13: by Flint (last edited Mar 29, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

Flint | 5 comments The Way of Shadows is a very good series overall, but Weeks stuffed so much into the story that it didn't really fit the 3 short books it was contained in. Everything started moving just a little too quickly by the start of the second book and never stopped until the end of the third.

message 14: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments I am a fair way through the first book. It is going at a cracking pace and there are some interesting morally grey areas....

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Flint wrote: "The Way of Shadows is a very good series overall, but Weeks stuffed so much into the story that it didn't really fit the 3 short books it was contained in. Everything started moving just a little ..."

Yeah, it could definitely have afforded to take a breath now and then, and been a bit longer. But I do love a breakneck pace :)

message 16: by Traci (new)

Traci I was surprised by how dark & serious it is. But in a good way. The cover doesn't fit the book IMO. I also wasn't expecting all the political intrigue. And so many plot twists most I didn't see coming. Iam trying to catch up on authors & series I haven't read yet & I want to sample all of them. So I've been bouncing between series & taking notes as I read to help my memory. Somehow I ended up w-more notes for Way of Shadows than any other book. I read The Black Prism first & loved it. I really enjoyed Way of Shadows. Brent Weeks' pacing is perfect to me. Too much build up bores me even when done by a talented author.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Traci wrote: "I was surprised by how dark & serious it is. But in a good way. The cover doesn't fit the book IMO. I also wasn't expecting all the political intrigue. And so many plot twists most I didn't see com..."

I'm waiting for the rest of the series before reading The Black Prism - if it's half the pace of the Night Angel books, I won't want to wait between volumes!

message 18: by Traci (new)

Traci The ending of The Black Prism is tortuous. I wanted to continue right away. So you might be smarter than I was. But I will definately be getting the second on it's release day.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Traci wrote: "The ending of The Black Prism is tortuous. I wanted to continue right away. So you might be smarter than I was. But I will definately be getting the second on it's release day."

I'll definitely be waiting till the whole series is available, then :)