CanLit discussion

Where're the books, Guys?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments I joined hoping for great suggestions for Candadian authors and books...wha?
Fine - I'll add some.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael I just joined the group. Here's a few suggestions for Canadian authors: Katherine Govier (does meticulous research), David Adams Richards (great storyteller), Peter Behrens (Only one novel - The Law of Dreams - but it's great), Donna Morrissey (captures the East Coast culture wonderfully), Alyssa York (very lyrical style). Any suggestions for me? Michael

message 3: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker just starting reading Rawi Hage's newest "Cockroach" so far so good!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael I read Hage's "De Niro's Game" a year or two ago. Not really my type of novel in terms of narrative technique but the plot line was interesting.

message 5: by cj (new)

cj (seajoy) | 2 comments Alice Munroe's short stories are truly remarkable.

message 6: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker Do we want to choose a common CanLit to read for April? Something we can read in April and then discuss at the end of the month, thoughts or suggestions for something you might want to read?

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Yes, I'd be interested. A couple of CanLit titles currently on my "To Read" list: Reva Leah Stern - The Water Buffalo That Shed Her Girdle, Marianne Paul - Tending Memory. Both are authors I know from Writing Associations. One of my Goodreads friends recommended Miriam Toews: Crow Lake. Also Donna Morrissey: What They Wanted. She's one of my favourite Cdn authors.

message 8: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker I like the look of Stern's book and although it is not available at my library, it is available at my local Chapters so if it works for you I will pick it up today. Happy reading!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Sounds good. I've been meaning to get to her book for awhile now.

Michael

message 10: by cj (new)

cj (seajoy) | 2 comments Margaret Laurence is a great author of novels in Canada.

message 11: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker cj wrote: "Margaret Laurence is a great author of novels in Canada."

message 12: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker agreed, I have read all her books and enjoyed each and every one of them

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Definitely. She's one of our literary icons.

message 14: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker Maree wrote: "I like the look of Stern's book and although it is not available at my library, it is available at my local Chapters so if it works for you I will pick it up today. Happy reading!"

Michael, how are you finding Stern's book? I find the writing a bit mundane. I am more than half way through I hope things pick up.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Maree, I'm 50 pages in and feeling the same way you are. The subject matter seems more suited to a teen magazine than a serious novel. Disappointing for sure. Sorry for the poor choice.

message 16: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker Michael wrote: "Maree, I'm 50 pages in and feeling the same way you are. The subject matter seems more suited to a teen magazine than a serious novel. Disappointing for sure. Sorry for the poor choice. "

Just finished it, thankfully! Too bad it looked promising. I also just finished The Soul of Great Designs, if you haven't read it give it a try, I liked the ending. I find that I often get let down by endings, it must be really hard as a writer to wrap things up in a way that is satisfying to both writer and reader and I find that Bisoondath manages the ending in this book very well.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Maree, Wow, you read fast! I don't have as much time as I would like for reading these days. I have to squeeze it in among some other things I have on the go. Thanks for the recommendation on the Bisoondath title. Another one for my To Read list.

message 18: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker I am semi-retired so I have lots of time on my hand, this was a short book and I must admit that I did a speed read through the back end of it.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Maree: I speed read through the last of "The Water Buffalo That Shed Her Girdle" this afternoon. Pretty lightweight reading overall. I posted a polite review as the author is in one of the writing groups I belong to.

Back to "The Shack" which isn't knocking me out either. But I'm reading it for a church group so I'll see it through. After that I'll look for something more substantial to get my teeth into.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Hi Maree:

I finished Crow Lake this week. Throughly enjoyed it. I could conjure up a fairly detailed picture of the town since I've been in Northern Ontario quite a few times over the years. I'm do a quick side step into "Fringe Dwellers" (book of short stories - I know the author) before tackling the 735 pages of David Payne's "Confessions of a Taoist on Wall Street". Looking forward to that for sure! Michael