Nicholas Sparks Novels discussion

Movies -based on his books- > Dear John (2010)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vita (new)

Vita (retro_librarian) | 38 comments I'd heard the rumors! Here's what I found on the Internet Movie Database:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0989757/

message 2: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
I am looking forward to the movie. I loved the book - Doug

message 3: by Vita (new)

Vita (retro_librarian) | 38 comments Has anyone seen the movie yet? I am going tonight! Can't wait!

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 14 comments I'm suppose to go tonight with some friends, but where I'm at theres rain/snow,So I might have to wait..I'm hoping the ending changes..lol. ;)

message 5: by Nicoletta (new)

Nicoletta Daum (daum9812) Vita wrote: "Has anyone seen the movie yet? I am going tonight! Can't wait!"

Im going in 4 hours!!

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (blondie515) | 17 comments I've saw an early screening in Charleston 2 weeks ago. There are many changes from the book, but it was still a great movie. The ending is slightly different, I liked the ending better then the books ending :)

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (blondie515) | 17 comments Yea, me too. I did read in an interview that Nicholas Sparks said if the movies does well then he will consider writing a sequel. I sure hope he does!

message 8: by Nicoletta (new)

Nicoletta Daum (daum9812) Carrie wrote: "Yea, me too. I did read in an interview that Nicholas Sparks said if the movies does well then he will consider writing a sequel. I sure hope he does!"

Oh that would be awesome!

message 9: by Vita (new)

Vita (retro_librarian) | 38 comments I really did enjoy the movie. It thought it was great!

message 10: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Paige (authorlindsaypaige) I watched the movie last night. (I had to go to two theaters to find one that wasn't sold out and then I had to wait 2 and a 1/2 hours!) I really liked it, but I was kinda mad at the ending lol. I wanted it to be more like the book! Oh well, I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

message 11: by Vita (new)

Vita (retro_librarian) | 38 comments I was happy to learn that Dear John topped Avatar!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Vita wrote: "I was happy to learn that Dear John topped Avatar!"
agreeeddd !

im seeeing it tomorrrow ! i can't freaking waait !

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Brown | 1 comments It was a lot different from the book. I recomend it though. It was great.

message 14: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments ***SPOILERS AHEAD****

I just finished the book and loved it. I saw the movie before I read the book and I must say, they kept things pretty much the same in my opinion. They changed Savannahs appearance, because in the book she had a slight gap in between her two front teeth and brown hair, but Amanda Seyfried has perfect teeth and gorgeous blonde hair, but I loved her as Savannah. Also, the bag incident on the beach was the same (where it fell in the water and John went to fetch it). Tim marrying Savannah was the same, her writing John letters while he was away was the same, and her breaking up with him through letters was the same, as well as Habitat for Humanity. Also they kept in the parts about his dad- i.e being a coin collector, etc. The only thing I noticed that was different was instead of Lasagna being a "usual" dinner, his father made Eggs and Bacon every morning. Other than that I thought they stayed very close together in the book and movie. But I can't remember if in the movie Alan was Tim's son or brother, I know in the book Alan was the brother who was older, but in the movie he was much younger and I can't remember what role he played.

message 15: by Alese (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 51 comments I thought they stayed very close to the book too.But I HATED the way savannah left John, but I can understand why she left him,because Tim was sick and he needed somebody.
Ashlee- Alan was Tim's brother..But in the book, he was his son
(I've read it twice, and might read it again after I'm done with the book im currently rading)

message 16: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments Yea, I had a feeling it was his son in the movie, which in my opinion made it easier to understand why Savannah left John, more so because she felt she needed to not because she didn't love John- because thats evident in the book that she is. I just wish it hadn't ended the way it did, I was hoping for a happier ending. :/

message 17: by Alese (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 51 comments me too

message 18: by Nurulain (new)

Nurulain (nurulainibm) I love the movieee! Hehe maybe cuz theres amanda seyfried:))) But hmmm the ending was kindof a bummer. Welk :/

message 19: by Nurulain (new)

Nurulain (nurulainibm) Alese wrote: "I thought they stayed very close to the book too.But I HATED the way savannah left John, but I can understand why she left him,because Tim was sick and he needed somebody.
Ashlee- Alan was Tim's b..."

Yesss! I just dont understand why wont savannah just wait for john, for god sake! And yeah they mixed it up again, the alan character. Well atleast its not as bad as The last song movie haha

message 20: by valee, Your moderator (new)

valee | 164 comments Mod
I really liked this movie and I was so happy they chose characters who don't belong to Disney for it that I could kill the guy who selected those for the roles in NS other movies...

:S

message 21: by Nouran (new)

Nouran Gamal (therealnou) everything i imagined, i was a little worried because it is my favorite book and i didn't want the movie to ruin it but it turned out great and the characters are exactly how i pictured them

message 22: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments Some directors are really great about casting Actors/Actresses that really fit the books description, this was deff. one of them! I love the Directors who actually read the books to get a feel before they start casting. And what was wrong with the Last Song? just wondering.

message 23: by valee, Your moderator (new)

valee | 164 comments Mod
Me too, I was devastated to see who the cast would be as it was my fav book from this author. I know it could have gone much better than it did, it was a sweet movie but nothing as good as the book.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

The first movie that really made me cry. :')

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Hart When I saw this movie come out I decided to read the book first. I'm not sure if I liked one more than the other. It wasn't my favorite NS novel, but it was still pretty good. If I remember correctly *spoiler* they don't end up together in the book but do in the movie? But then there's an alternate ending that's the same as the book. I thought the casting was perfect! I wasn't much of a Channing Tatum fan but I thought he did fantastic in this movie!

message 26: by Ashlee (last edited Jun 12, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments ***SPOILER***

My mom had bought me the movie, so I watched it before I read the book. But, if memory serves me correctly-(and I didn't see the alternate ending yet) at the end of the movie they didn't wind up together? and thats also what happened in the book. Although at the end of the movie it sort of trailed off, but I know they weren't together. In the book they definitely didn't end up together, but NS did leave a little window of remberance at the end when Savannah, thinking she was alone, snuck outside to look up at the sky, which was a special little thing her and John did. To me that showed that her heart was always with him, even though they weren't together. I really should watch that alternate ending though!

Dani (ダニ ¦ 다니) (itsdanidee) @Katie: The ending in the movie is just set 5 years after the book ending so that's why. The alternate ending is the original. I don't know why they made a different ending tho...they might have wanted to get a bit a happier ending than in the book. =)

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie Hart Dani wrote: "@Katie: The ending in the movie is just set 5 years after the book ending so that's why. The alternate ending is the original. I don't know why they made a different ending tho...they might have wa..."

Oh ok! Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

message 29: by Crystalmarie (new)

Crystalmarie (CrystalsNovels) | 11 comments Dear John was my first NS book, i have to say that i loved it, it remains my favoirte. Next would have to be "The Lucky One"....
Dear John the movie was good, not great, but good. The book has a sad ending, while the movie has a happy ending. But i'd perfer the sad. Not every story needs a happy ever after ending.
:)

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 9 comments I loved "Dear John" the book, but the movie disappointed me a little, because unlike the other Nicholas Sparks movies which have been pretty similar to the books, this one just had sooo many differences!! They made Savannah's character seem horrible, even though her character is so much easier to understand in the book. And then most of the movie focused on John's life in the army, even though the book mainly focused on his and Savannah's relationship.
I did somehow like the ending of the movie better though, because I am always a sucker for happy endings, even though it was REALLY sad.

message 31: by Hira (new)

Hira (viewsnreviews) I've watched the movie. I loved it!! I'm looking forward to reading the book.

message 32: by Miquiel Annika (new)

Miquiel Annika Luniza (lila_micano8) | 1 comments I've watched the movie first and I love it especially i love the casts Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried. Then after that I've read the book and for me I love the more but I like the ending in the movie but I found out it has an alternate ending which is the same in the book. Alan was Tim's brother in the book but in the movie he was Tim's son. About the whole story I love it very much, i love how it give pains to me haha :'>

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela (atruebornwriter) | 2 comments I'm going to be absolutely honest, I was actually pretty disappointed with the movie, maybe because I read the book first. But there wasn't enough focus about his dad in the movie. And he spent most of his time in war, yet that was the minority that had happened. Personally I'm one of those people that criticise every little thing, and I just didn't like it from the beginning when her "boyfriend" jumped in for the bag, yet it was actually John who did in the book...

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The books so so much better