John Green. discussion

Books > Looking For Alaska

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 100 comments Mod
What are your opinions of this book?

message 2: by Yousra (new)

Yousra (yousra_medhkour) | 7 comments Personally this is my least favorite book by John Green. To begin with, the main character just makes me mad. I think he's selfish and so on. Also I wasn't really caught into the story until after the incident with Alaska. Even then I felt that depth and purpose was given only at the end. Because of that the ending was amazing, but overall it was an ok book.

message 3: by Martin (new)

Martin | 2 comments I thought the book was good. I think it's purpose was to get the reader to think about certain topics (death, school, parents, people, etc.) in a way that is completely not traditional. For example, it talks a great deal about suffering. People usually view it as a negative thing yet Alaska shows us that it doesn't always have to be

message 4: by Nuzaifa (new)

Nuzaifa (n-u-z-a-i-f-a) I liked it but it wasn't as great as Paper Towns or The Fault in our Stars.

message 5: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 63 comments Nuzaifa wrote: "I liked it but it wasn't as great as Paper Towns or The Fault in our Stars."

same. they were the best. i liked an abundance of katherines too.

message 6: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Pyne (pyneapple) | 2 comments This one was my favorite.

message 7: by Nuzaifa (new)

Nuzaifa (n-u-z-a-i-f-a) Dabin wrote: "Nuzaifa wrote: "I liked it but it wasn't as great as Paper Towns or The Fault in our Stars."

same. they were the best. i liked an abundance of katherines too."

An abundance of Katherines was hilarious,especially Hassan!I loved the wild boar and wasp(or was it a hornet's nest?) scene!

message 8: by ↬ Sarah ↫ (new)

↬ Sarah ↫ | 11 comments A fascinating read. I like TFiOS better but it's my second favorite. It's really good and extremely good at describing characters <3 John Green :)

message 9: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 63 comments TFiOS is and always will be my favorite! I bet I'll still read it and cry when I'm a granny.

Please check out my blog www.myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com
I wrote a couple posts about John and his books and nerdfighting. Please comment and +1 it! Its my first blog and I'm incredibly excited about it!

message 10: by kat-sudon (new)

kat-sudon | 4 comments I just finished reading this a few days ago. It's not exactly an eye opener but since I've become a fan of Tragedy because of TFIOS, I liked how they looked for Alaska. It was fast paced, but no so fast. I didn't actually think that looking for Alaska would fill a hundred pages. But throughout the whole book, I learned a lot. And John Green has taught me a lot. This isn't really my favorite John Green book but it was worth reading.

message 11: by ↬ Sarah ↫ (new)

↬ Sarah ↫ | 11 comments Okay I think it deserves a full review: LFA really caught me off guard with the candle and the title. I thought for a long time that it was a historical fiction on looking for alaska, but after i read TFiOS I saw that the authors were the same and I read it (this was a long time ago btw) At first i was a bit skeptical about it, thinking that this boarding school was a really old one and it would still lead up to the looking for alaska, but to my surprise it took a turn and I fell in love with the story. I do watch vlogbrothers, and he originally that he didn't want the candle as the cover but it was more so the title that threw me off, but anyway, worth the read no doubt and my second favorite john green book. I immediately fell in love with the characters.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (the-sesquipedalian) | 21 comments I really enjoyed this book! I thought it was one of John Green's best novels and although I don't understand Alaska, I think I understand why Green made her the way she is and I respect that. I fell in love with the characters and this book taught me a lot... John Green taught me a lot, so, to be honest, I don't think I can ever hate a book he has written.

message 13: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Stull | 2 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Alaska was captivating to me and the way Miles handled the situation was very interesting.

message 14: by Nitya (new)

Nitya i loved looking for alaska, it was my first john green read and i loved every minute of it, i think maybe because the character of Alaska Young really fascinated me i wanted to know more about her, i wanted to read about her. After her accident i thought the book would become worse but that didnt happen atall and i enjoyed it right till the very end.

message 15: by ↬ Sarah ↫ (new)

↬ Sarah ↫ | 11 comments Annie wrote: "I really enjoyed this book! I thought it was one of John Green's best novels and although I don't understand Alaska, I think I understand why Green made her the way she is and I respect that. I fel..."
Definitely. I love how amazing Alaska is though and how "big" she is. She was actually a hero to me at first (not the best influence, but she was cool :D she was just so out there and inspiring and though she was hard to figure out, you can't help but to relate to her in some weird way.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Beautiful! I cried a lot!

message 17: by Tess (new)

Tess Medlin | 1 comments Looking for Alaska may be my favorite of John Green's books. I really enjoyed TFiOS too but I was very attached to Looking for Alaska. I quickly fell in love with each and every character and the storyline pulled me in immediately. I was also blindsided by the climax which I think also made me enjoy it so much.

message 18: by Beibh (new)

Beibh | 1 comments I didnt feel as sad when I finished reading this as i did with TFiOS but I think that is because I knew that Alaska would die.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Rizz (amyrizz) | 7 comments I think I loved about Looking for Alaska because it was so different from the first book I read by him, TFIOS. It showed that he could write about anything and still make it a good book. Looking for Alaska was so mysterious and kept me in the edge of my seat the entire book.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina | 6 comments I read this book a few year ago in highschool. I read it again this year, as a 20 year old and fell even more in love with it. Going through my own struggles this year, and knowing very well the seemingly never ending labyrinth, I found the resounding hope to be ultimately strengthening.

message 21: by Blue (new)

Blue | 1 comments Usually, I can't cry when I read a book.
But by 'looking for alaska' I really cried, because this book is beautful and sad at the same time.
I can recommend this book to everybody. :)

message 22: by Lilyfawssett (new)

Lilyfawssett | 1 comments I loved this book as well as TFiOS and also paper towns I love the idea of Alaska's library and what a strong character she is!

message 23: by Dara (new)

Dara Suen | 3 comments Can someone here let me borrow? or donate their TFIOS and looking for alaska? Please! I really want to read it soo bad! I would be glad if you do so! message me and I'll send you my shipping address , I'm from philippines! Pleaseeee! or If you'll let me borrow, I'll send it back to you again if i'm done reading :)

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahboese-hebbend) I'd have to say that Looking For Alaska is my favourite book. :)

message 25: by Mel (new)

Mel | 1 comments I actually live a few miles away from the setting of this book...which is also where Green went to school. I guess it made me love this book even more. I read the comments above and understand why some may not think it was as great as other John Green books, but it is. The characters are exactly who they are suppose to be... selfish, strong, weak or all of the above. They are kids. It is easy to forget how we felt and acted when we were 16. And sadly...most of us have some kind of tragedy happen in our lives like the tragedies in this book. Not sure my 16 yr old self could have handled this book OR maybe not have learned everything it offered, so glad I am reading it later in life. Green is an awesome writer and I feel blessed to be reading his YA fiction at this point in my life. This YA fiction is the real deal... much better than Twilight. haha! However, I did read that too. ;)

message 26: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 1 comments I absolutely adored the start of Looking for Alaska. I loved all the characters, and the storyline, and all that jazz! However, the end of the book infuriated me! I had such high expectations for a classic, John Green, meaningful ending, and instead found myself struggling to finish it!

message 27: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 8 comments The ending was wonderful but I would have liked to know how she died. I didn't like the complete mystery aspect but overall it was a wonderful book with a great teen message.

message 28: by Artemis (new)

Artemis (artemisia26) | 3 comments I really loved this book. LFA was my first John Green book, and the unique and beautiful way of writing was very captivating. I enjoyed all of the characters except for some aspects of Miles/Pudge. What happened to Alska was sad, but That story will stay with me forever.

message 29: by Artemis (new)

Artemis (artemisia26) | 3 comments *what happened to ALASKA
sorry

message 30: by Krystle (new)

Krystle Hubbard | 2 comments I liked this book but it wasn't as heartbreaking to me as The fault in our stars and I really liked Alaska but at the same time I feel like Miles maybe thought there was something there that there wasn't but I thought #ship the whole way through the book lol

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I really loved this book. I felt connected to the characters (sorry for the cheesiness) and could like feel their emotions. I don't know I just really liked it. !