American Westerns discussion

Christian Western Novel

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 62 comments This same topic came up in another western group to which I belong. I'm not really sure what "Christian Western" means. Does the author purposely have to aim his book at a Christian audience?

I'm pretty sure a number of western authors (current & classic) considered themselves Christian, but does it take more than a few references to faith or God?

Owen Wister's classic THE VIRGINIAN deals with faith and a number of characters, including the title hero pray and otherwise demonstrate that they are practicing Christians. Would this qualify?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Colt (paulcolt) | 78 comments All of the plot elements you mention apply. In addition, Christian western writers avoid profanity, sex, drinking etc. They may also avoid extreme violence. Some cross over into young adult literature. If you want to learn more, check out Cliff Hudgins at www.cliffhudgins.net. Cliff writes Christian westerns and is a Western Writers of America member.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 62 comments Paul wrote: "All of the plot elements you mention apply. In addition, Christian western writers avoid profanity, sex, drinking etc. They may also avoid extreme violence. Some cross over into young adult literat..."

Sounds like a Gene Autry western! Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Colt (paulcolt) | 78 comments Who didn't like Gene, Roy, Hoppy, The Lone Ranger.... but then, I date myself.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis Haselton (haselton) | 14 comments "avoid profanity, sex, drinking etc." wow, that limits things a bit. Can be done though.

message 6: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Ward (marshaward) | 4 comments Another example of a writer of faith-based Westerns is Stephen Bly. His stories are action-packed. I doubt you'd miss modern shortcut devices. Check out his website here.

Travis, a good writer can tell a compelling story without sex, profanity, or drinking. Sometimes we use too many crutches that turn out to be stereotypes. They can actually bog a story down.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 62 comments Paul wrote: "Who didn't like Gene, Roy, Hoppy, The Lone Ranger.... but then, I date myself."

That makes two of us, Paul. :-)

message 8: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 16 comments I posted a review of Rafe: A Tale of Redemption.

A good book.