Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > Thanksgiving Week

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Do you plan to read in between cooking, eating and shopping?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I ALWAYS have a book in progress even if I'm only able to read a few (or couple of) pages a day. During the holidays reading definitely becomes more challenging and sometimes pretty much nonexistent. It always feels so good to get back to my routine after Christmas. This year my son and his family will be here from Christmas to New Year's Day so reclaiming that routine will be a little delayed. Meanwhile, I'll sure do my best to read a little here and there -- it's essential for my sanity! ;-)

message 3: by Salena (new)

Salena Chavez (schavez7728) Hell yeah I have about ten books in about 5 days. I need to finish so im going to read every second of every day

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments Definitely, I just started Too Close to the Falls by Catherine Gildiner over the weekend. Catherine wrote a memoir about growing up in Lewiston, NY outside of Niagara Falls. Living in Buffalo, I always enjoy reading books set in and around the area and so far Catherine's memoir is excellent.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina (lancejrmommy) | 59 comments I'm reading Columbine.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I'm reading My Name is Mary Sutter, historical fiction set during the Civil War about a midwife who wants to train as a surgeon. I like it so far.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz Oh yes, always have to have a book or at least a magazine going. In fact, I need to get to the library tomorrow to pickup my holds & maybe a few other books. I always get anxious when I know the library is going to be closed. ;-)

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Carol wrote: "Do you plan to read in between cooking, eating and shopping?"

I think so. Around 2 a.m. the day we were to leave Maui, we received a call that Mark's mother had died so we're on the road to SD around 8 this a.m. We'll stay through Thanksgiving. Funeral is tomorrow.

I'm reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and have a Bill Bryson to read before bookclub meets next week. I also hope to start Rose Tremain's Trespass.

I hope I get back online before I return, but if not, please have a wonderful holiday. I am thankful for all of you....and of course, for books!

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa My deepest sympathies to you and your family, Laurel.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Oh, Laurel, I'm so sorry. This will obviously be such a difficult holiday for your family. Safe travels to and from SD, and warm hugs. Thinking of you . . .

message 11: by Annika (new)

Annika Oh Laurel - I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina (lancejrmommy) | 59 comments I'm sorry for your loss Laurel.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz Laurel - so sorry to hear of your family's loss. I know it will be hard for all of you. Sending kind thoughts & prayers your way. Take care.

message 14: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Laurel, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult holiday. xo

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Laurel, My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Carol

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I hope to finish Before I Die by Lauren Oliver today.

message 17: by Elise (new)

Elise Of course! In between making pies and getting the sweet potatoes ready, I nearly finished my book. I just have another 50 pages or so left--hoping to finish tonight. Tomorrow...now, that's another story! But Friday, for sure! This girl isn't crazy enough to go out shopping on that day!
Happy TG, everyone!

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments Laurel wrote: "Carol wrote: "Do you plan to read in between cooking, eating and shopping?"

I think so. Around 2 a.m. the day we were to leave Maui, we received a call that Mark's mother had died so we're on t..."

Laurel, I am so sorry for your loss! my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

message 19: by Sue J (new)

Sue J (sue-j) | 54 comments Laurel, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss ... my deepest condolences to you.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments I'm sorry for your loss Laurel.

message 21: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Thanks to you all for your kind words. We just got home about 1 hour ago. I look forward to staying home for awhile. I am so sorry and very worried about my FIL; he loved her so much. Time will tell.

Hope you all are enjoying a wonderful holiday. Who's shopping tomorrow?

message 22: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I try to read or listen while I'm cooking

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Laurel wrote: "Thanks to you all for your kind words. We just got home about 1 hour ago. I look forward to staying home for awhile. I am so sorry and very worried about my FIL; he loved her so much. Time will..."

I think a loss like this is so difficult for the spouse.

I had my annual blood work done today, and I have a few essays to read. I did some food shopping, but I am staying away from the malls and shopping centers.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments Laurel, my condolences on your loss.

I am plowing through the Stephanie Plum series. I think I'm on #12. I've got two months worth of magazines stacked up to read because I've not been able to read anything but this series since I finally started it!

Today is Black Friday and we are heading for the mall in just a little bit. I may be crazy but it could be a lot of fun. DH has never gone with me before and everything I've tried to snag online is out of stock.

message 25: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Today was the first time I've ever shopped on Black Friday.

message 26: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Well, Lisa....how was it? Will you go again next year?

message 27: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) It wasn't as bad as I had heard. I got up at 3:30 a.m. I got a $60 MP3 player for $20. I couldn't believe I got up that early just to go shopping. LOL
I don't know if I'll go next year or not. Depends on the money situation.

message 28: by Elise (new)

Elise Oh, Laurel, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I finished The Women (about Frank Lloyd Wright's ladies) and liked it, although I would have preferred the story told forward instead of backwards. Boyle is always satisfying to me.

Then I started Laura Lippman's new one and found I just didn't like it. I thought the writing was flat and amateurish and the story was sort of creeping me out. Just not for me, I guess. I'll have to go through my library stack to see what's next. I still have two full days of reading ahead and I don't want to waste it!
Has anyone read The Gate at the Stairs? I've been seeing it on a lot of lists lately.

message 29: by Annika (new)

Annika I'm reading Let Me In by John Ajvide Linqvist. It's a vampire story that's really different from so many out right now. Very, very creepy and quite good. I didn't realize it was a book but happened upon it when I was at Borders the other day. There is a movie adaptation that has come out recently that is supposed to be excellent. The orignal Swedish title is Let the Right One In and it is also supposed to be excellent. I don't remember either playing around here. Has anyone seen the movies or read this book?

Elise - I haven't read The Gate at the Stairs but have heard good things.

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I didn't know there was a novel. I saw the original Swedish version (via Netflix) and thought it was excellent.

message 31: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Elise wrote: "Oh, Laurel, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I finished The Women (about Frank Lloyd Wright's ladies) and liked it, although I would have preferred the story told forward ins..."

I tried The Gate at the Stairs but never finished it. Just didn't grab me.