White Nights discussion

Andrei Rublev

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Anyone here ever see Tarkovsky film "Andrei Rublev," about 15th c. icon painters? I was really looking forward to watching it, but found it painfully slow and ponderous through the first hour or so, and didn't think I had patience for another 2 1/2 hours, so returned it. Now I'm feeling guilty for not giving it more of a chance. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Frederick (last edited Nov 22, 2010 07:57AM) (new)

Frederick Andresen | 11 comments Yes, I saw this film years ago in LA. I remember it very clearly. It is a fundamental view into part of "the Russian Soul." Indeed it is "painfully slow and ponderous," but that is Russia, from that perspective of the impact of Orthodoxy. I have seen some of Rublev's work on the ceilings of Russian churches (in Vladimir) and elsewhere. When I first went to Russia (1991) I thought all Russian art was the sad icons. I found the wonderful art of the last part of the 19th century and on as exciting as any and equal to the Impressionists. That was the new direction in Russian thought, which got detoured in 1917. See my essay on Orthodoxy in "Walking on Ice, An American Businessman in Russia" (get it on Amazon.) Also see the essay by Andrei Zolotov in Russia Profile special summer edition http://www.russiaprofile.org/page.php... (#13). My article is #17. Rublev is back there, deep in the Russian culture.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom An eyewitness account! Fascinating, Frederick. I'll check out your source recs soon. I imagine I'll be giving "AR" another shot. Thanks.