Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

It's All Fun & Games > Quiz: Are you a Book Hoarder

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana According to Webster’s Dictionary, a hoarder is a person who stocks large quantities of anything. To collect; to store.

According to the moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges a hoarder is someone who has a lot books and continues to buy or collect more. A book hoarder is a god/goddess among readers.

1)I own_books
a)25 books
b)50 books
c)100 or more books

2)My bookshelf is…
a)Empty and needs a lot more books
b)Getting a bit crowded
c)Overflowing with books! There is absolutely no more space on my bookshelf.

3)I have_unread books in my house.
a)Zero, I read all the books I purchase
b)About 5 to 10
c)*Coughs guiltily* 20 or more, but I won’t buy anymore until I’ve read them all * stealthily adds books to check out cart*

4)On average, I visit websites like Amazon.com and Barnes and Nobel _ a day.
a)Once
b)2 or 3 times
c)I’ve lost count. I browse at school, work, and (or) home

5)When it comes to getting rid of my books, I…
a)Donate them
b)Give them to a friend or family
c)Who said anything about getting rid of my books? It’s called a personal library

If you answered mostly A’s…
You are not a book harder. You have a reasonable amount of books and you don’t go overboard with your collection. We encourage you to throw caution to the wind and go buy some books!

If you answered mostly B’s…
You’re not quite there yet, while there are times you exhibit signs of being a hoarder, for the most part you are not. But don’t worry; you’re only a few books away.

If you answered C’s…
Congratulations, you are a book harder! You have lots of books and not enough shelf space and spend way too much time browsing books .We admire your awesome reading prowess.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 34 comments I'm a book hoarder officially now...

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 6 comments It's official for me as well...I am a book hoarder.

3 out of the 5 questions are C's for me!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I got book hoarder as well... hmmm...

message 5: by Sans (new)

Sans I'm an official hoarder too. Nothing to be ashamed of, ladies, it's a safer obsession than many other people have.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (eecamp) Yep, I'm a hoarder...and I've moved frequently the last 5 years (school, work, etc...), so I manage to hoard my books in multiple states across the country!

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments I am not quite there yet...

I save my favourite books and donate my read-once books. My book shelf is full and overflowing, but only half the books are mine. My husband is a hoarder and will not get rid of his old books that he only reads once. He even has boxes in our garage that are being unused. He does the same thing with his CD's. He owns boxes upon boxes of CDs. He adds them to our computer and then stores them in the garage. Its pointless to me, and unfair to the books/cds who could be used by someone.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments I'm not quite there yet... but I have cut down on my books at home by having my kindle and sharing ones that I don't have to keep with others.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I'm not quite there :) I wish I was though. Haha.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments 4 out of 5 for me. I don't visit Amazon, B&N or the like all that often, but the others are definitely me. So much so that the hubby & I are building a 16'x25' shed just for books. Well, we'll store seasonal decorations in the rafters, but there will be many bookcases in it for our collection. Notice I said collection and not hoard. :)

message 11: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (disney4me) | 32 comments Definitely a book hoarder! I answered 'c' to the last question because I don't GIVE my books to family; I LOAN my books to family. I have books in every room of my house and then some in boxes. I'm still dreaming of that 2-story library!

message 12: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Yep, that's me! LOL

message 13: by exxcentrica (new)

exxcentrica I knew I was a book hoarder! :) I had to move in with relatives a few years back and had to give up my babies. In the two years since I have gotten my own place, I have acquired +300 books, many of them books I had earlier. I need them!

message 14: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Melinda wrote: "Definitely a book hoarder! I answered 'c' to the last question because I don't GIVE my books to family; I LOAN my books to family. I have books in every room of my house and then some in boxes. I..."

I don't loan books very often anymore. I loaned one to a friend and it came back water damaged. I asked if it had been read in the bathtub- yes it had. I put the book in a ziplock bag and told her she could have it. I do not want books back if they have been naked with people. My son calls them "coochie books".

message 15: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) 4/5 c's...lol. I'm not a Hoarder though, I'm a Collector. Websters definition is too simple. Read Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things and you'll know what I mean. *stealthily forgets about all the random places books are hiding in her house*

message 16: by Archer (new)

Archer All C's, and I'm proud of it.. But like Erika said "I'm not a Hoarder, I'm a collector."

message 17: by Shannon (last edited Nov 30, 2010 07:19AM) (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 215 comments I'm a hoarder but in my defense I did answer a couple with A so that should balance out right? ok I know I'm hopeless!!! I do donate to the library from time to time because it helps them raise money to get me more books to read! That sounded so selfless!! :)

message 18: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Archer and Erika, I much prefer the term book collector or perhaps book connoisseur. Yes, as most of you have seen my bookshelf I am a book hoarder. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Definitely a book horder, but I prefer the term book collector or bibliophile. :)

message 20: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (disney4me) | 32 comments Shay wrote: "I don't loan books very often anymore. I loaned one to a friend and it came back water damaged. I asked if it had been read in the bathtub- yes it had. I put the book in a ziplock bag and told her she could have it. I ..."

OK. YIKES! I have to admit, I never asked. Not sure I ever want to know; "coochie books" OMG. However, my family usually takes care of them.

message 21: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) Hoarder.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George took an expensive book to the bathroom. When he tried to return it it was 'flagged'. LOL I only loan books to people who I know will take care of them and who don't smoke.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 235 comments I'm a book Hoarder too.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Hoarder. That sounds so awful though! At least most books have a definite shape/size and can easily fit onto a shelf...therefore, I classify it as a collection. :)

message 25: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 52 comments I'm a hoarder. My house doesn't look as bad as it used to. Wide ebooks, I'm much better at hiding my book hoarding habit from the "normal" world.

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 52 comments I take my books to the bathroom. If I lend a book- which is seldom- it's a don't ask don't tell thing. I figure if I read on the throne everyone else does too.

message 27: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I thought everybody did.LOL

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I plead the Fifth.

message 29: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Lisa S wrote: "I thought everybody did.LOL"

Irene wrote: "I take my books to the bathroom. If I lend a book- which is seldom- it's a don't ask don't tell thing. I figure if I read on the throne everyone else does too."

If my son catches you, he will either throw the book in a bag and fill the bag with Lysol or throw the book in the trash. (Double bagged of course) Depending on whether you went #1 or #2 and if he heard you wash your hands.

message 30: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 52 comments I suppose my ereader could use a lysol bath but if chucked it in the trash he catch H E double toothpicks from me. That's book abuse!

message 31: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Irene wrote: "I suppose my ereader could use a lysol bath but if chucked it in the trash he catch H E double toothpicks from me. That's book abuse!"

He uses the spray Lysol. You can tell which library books we borrowed because I have to wipe all of the covers down with antibacterial stuff then spray them with Lysol. You should have seen all of my sons toys even when he was a toddler- absolutely pristine. I think I only have one set of baby clothes, of his, that has a stain. Very clean child! So much laundry, though.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I just try not to think where my library books have been and who they have been with. I am fine until I get to a stained page. That gives me the willies.

message 33: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I am, surprising, nut a hoarder. I'm almost there though ;)

message 34: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kitty0014) | 6 comments I am definitely a book hoarder, however that's no surprise for me as I have been describing myself as such for a while now. I must admit I've been going through my books lately, slowly adding them onto my goodreads list - much easier than an excel spreadsheet, and I had completely forgotten about some of them and found others that I've never read. Although for me its like finding treasure when that happens because it just means more books to read, :)

message 35: by Arthur (last edited Dec 08, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Arthur (astra) Hmm.
a x1
b x2
c x2

I guess I am moving away from book hoarder because I read ebook only nowdays.

message 36: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Hmmm, maybe you are a modern day hoarder?

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 215 comments LOL I love it -modern day hoarder!

message 38: by Arthur (last edited Dec 09, 2010 07:31AM) (new)

Arthur (astra) Sashana wrote: "Hmmm, maybe you are a modern day hoarder?"

:rofl:
I love the definition too :)

message 39: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Thanks, Shannon and Arthur :)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Modern day hoarder or 21st Century hoarder. :) eReaders are so very Star Trek-like. Amazing how much of that technology is available these days.

message 41: by Sans (new)

Sans Virtual hoarder.

message 42: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (astra) Sans wrote: "Virtual hoarder."

I am going to collect them :rofl:

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 112 comments i am a book hoarder...........i sense i have an addiction

message 44: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) sigh, another book hoarder here! the only one i didn't have was visiting amazon and BN multiple times a day, but if goodreads counts then they were all Cs haha

message 45: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments I'm a hoarder too :)

message 46: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) If goodreads counts instead of Barnes & Noble and Amazon and we're counting eBooks I'm Cs across the board.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm definately a hoarder I don't even have to take the qizz to figure that out :D

message 48: by Catherine (last edited Oct 05, 2012 05:38PM) (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Congratulations, you are a book harder! You have lots of books and not enough shelf space and spend way too much time browsing books .We admire your awesome reading prowess.

I am definitely this person!!!! I have to restrain myself when iot comes to bookshops and/or Amazon! I already think I need a house just for my books! lol :)

and..I really didn't need to even look at this quis to tell you this! :)

message 49: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Catherine wrote: "and..I really didn't need to even look at this quis to tell you this! :) "

LOL. A second opinion never hurts ;)

message 50: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Sadly I'm a hoarder as well. I have 16 - 6' tall bookcases stuffed to the gills in my one bedroom apartment! I don't visit B&N or Amazon daily but I do spend hours on GRs browsing and adding more books to my TBR. I have so many books (not including ebooks) that I could happily stay in my apartment, have food delivered and happily survive for years and years and years...just me, my cats and my books.

« previous 1