SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > December Author of the Month!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
This months Author is.....

Terry Pratchett

Here you can say what you are reading by him, if you are enjoying it, etc :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok so as I've been reading the Color of Magic for a while (stopped for a while) this is a great oppertunity to continue on that! Whoop

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I've slowly been reading Pyramids in quiet moments at work. It's not Pratchett's best - not as funny or exciting as others, but maybe it will pick up. I'm also reading it for the Egyptian mythology task.

I'm also planning to reread Guards! Guards! in December, as it's one of my favourite Discworld novels.

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
I started Witches Abroad. Might finish it before month end tho

message 5: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
I started Men at Arms after finding it at the library today. It's the only Pratchett they had (in their massive collection of 5!) that I haven't read.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Only 5 Pratchett novels?! That's shameful.

message 7: by Crusader (new)

Yeah, I've got more ebooks than that, but haven't gotten round to read them. The treebook versions also work better with the footnotes. For some reason the ebooks just doesn't work very well with the meriad footnotes Pratchett loves...

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Very true. I'm reading the eBook of Pyramids and I have to jump to the end of the document to read the footnotes. Very annoying, especially since the footnotes have some of the best humour.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Just a general question for Pratchett fans - which covers do you prefer? The zany Josh Kirby covers? The stylish black covers? Or the cartoony American covers?

I personally prefer the Josh Kirby covers. Yes, everyone looks very odd and bumpy, but I like identifying the various characters as I read.

message 10: by Crusader (new)

I prefer the Josh Kirby covers. The ones I own all have the Kirby covers and they are extremely fun to look at.

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
Finished Witches Abroad :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok so I'm seriously starting The Color of Magic tonight (again)

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Good luck Niecole. It's my least favorite novel by Terry Pratchett. I'm probably rereading The Hogfather again. I often do in december. It seems appropriate.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I don't like The Colour of Magic much either. I'm not a Rincewind fan. Hogfather is one of my favourites though! It's one of the very first Pratchetts I read.

message 15: by Crusader (new)

The Color of Magic isn't all that bad. I look at it more like a collection of short stories.

message 16: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I read Unseen Academicals and really enjoyed it. But I'm not sure if I'll read any more of his books. There's just too many other books I want to get through, and no time.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
That's the reason why I don't re-read a lot of books. There's just to much books out that I want to read. It's also the reason why I try to buy series after the author is finished with them and then read them in one go. Otherwise you have forgotten the details that happened in part one and are very importent once book 5 or 6 comes out.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I re-read Witches Abroad - still one of my favourites!