Art Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Thought I'd add a couple.

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Thanks Ed! Very nice!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Beautiful, Ed. Thanks for sharing!

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments you can see more recent stuff on my blog http://edsmileysartblog.blogspot.com/

message 5: by Dottie (new)

Dottie Suggs (dottiesuggs) | 23 comments Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your blog and seeing how you move through the stages of your painting. The Rothko piece was also very interesting.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Oh guys, here's a slideshow.

message 7: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 163 comments I really like "Push My Buttons." Your titles are great, too. Thanks for sharing, Ed.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I agree with Aloha, Ed. Love the titles. My favorites are "Fire Garden" and "Purple Serpents"--I like the colors in that one.

message 9: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Ed, they're lovely. I love how you combine colors. Do you look at a subject when you paint? or is it from purely imagination?

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments It's from a distillation of images, flowers, bodies, trees. I did a lot of studies from nature gradually abstracting them over the years. But now, I pretty much never directly copy nature.

I usually paint outdoors, so there is probably some subliminal way I pick up an equivalent.

I have often thought that ironically one of the most important things in abstraction is imagery, and one of the most important in representational work is design and composition. So yes there is imagery, but it is ambiguous.

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I just had a show this last month, and I took it down today. It was in the Santa Cruz Art League lobby.
Here's a virtual view:
Show at Art League

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Beautiful, Ed. I love your work!

message 13: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Good for you Ed! Lovely paintings.

message 14: by Ed (last edited Apr 12, 2011 11:16PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments OK here's a few more, acrylic/acrylic-transfer:
(The images are links to blog posts where I describe how I made them.)

Purple Pastorale

The Joy of Look

Planetary Clowns
This one is currently in a juried show.

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I'm having another show. I got the first 13 paintings hung today. It will be up for two months.

message 16: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Ed, your colors are always so beautifully vibrant and pleasant. Your paintings would make good antidotes to depression.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I agree with Dvora. I especially like this Oceanview Park Sunset. Beautiful!

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 381 comments Your artwork makes me smile! I love your use of color.

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Very vibrant color usage. It has a happy quality to it. Love the intermingling of forms. Good work, Ed.

message 20: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie | 52 comments Been meaning to check out your art for ages Ed, finally got round to it. I agree with all the comments here too.
I dabble with watercolour just for fun, unfortunately I aint no artist but I love the medium. Uploaded some pics on my Goodreads profile page thingy.
Can you just paint? I mean with me I have to psyche up and plan in my head what I want to do, it can take ages before I get myself together and start. Producing a piece of art is like giving birth!

message 21: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Well (if the other gender will politely not snicker at my ignorant naivete) I hear that giving birth is a lot less painful if you avoid stressing out and try to relax and go with the flow. Also, it seems to be a general rule that first births are often the hardest. So a lot of practice (and making some stuff that just doesn't work) is really helpful here.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments When I started painting I was completely focused on "product" instead of (how I paint now) the "process". It greatly freed me from being too hard on myself regarding subject matter, execution, etc. Another benefit is that during the process unexpected things arise and making decisions on what to do is one of the things I like about painting.

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I don't paint, but I used to watch this artist on PBS and he did landscapes and trees and "happy clouds" that I am amazed how he painted and had such a cheery attitude. I think I would be more like Art's work being a child of the sixties and that whole psychedelic influence. I like free form types of artwork.

message 24: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I just got back from the reception. Here's some photos I posted on my blog.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Very nice, I left a message on your blog, Ed.

message 26: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Thanks, I replied. :)

message 27: by Rosana (new)

Rosana | 12 comments I don't come around often, but I am glad I stoped by today. Really enjoyed your work. I agree with others that there is a happy quality to your paints. I would love to have Purple Pastorale hung over my bed and see it first thing every morning, I am sure it would positvely influence my days.

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes Ed,if you were closer to the Hawaiian Islands, just a mere skip and a hop I wouldn't mind purchasing one of your works, either. It has an almost tropical feel to it. Thanks.

message 29: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Gee guys. That's very nice.

(Don't want to pressure you in any way, but one can ship art work.)

message 30: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I am sure it can be done. They are all lovely pieces. Wouldn't know which to choose from.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 147 comments Nice site Ed. I can't believe how many artists are there in Santa Cruz. I've been near there but never stopped in. sounds like a great place to be an artist.

message 32: by Ed (last edited Jul 05, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I know. I was having some severe plumbing problems and I was in my painting clothes and was talking to the plumber about how many artists there are in Santa Cruz. He turned out to be a glass artist.

In October, they have an open studios tour, and there are 300 artists.

message 33: by Amalie (last edited Jul 16, 2011 08:50AM) (new)

Amalie  | 157 comments Oh I love 'Purple Pastorale' and I really like your use of colours in 'Planetary Clowns'. Really nice!

message 34: by Ed (last edited Jul 28, 2011 09:57PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Hope this isn't too much, I have a few new ones.
You can go to my blog http://edsmileysartblog.blogspot.com/ and click on them and get big versions.

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Very nice work, Ed. I like the fuschia colored one.

message 36: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Robin wrote: "Very nice work, Ed. I like the fuschia colored one."

Thanks Robin, that one gave me a lot of trouble--so much going on, it was tricky to make it interesting but not nauseating!

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) It is so bright and vibrant, I like your color usage throughout.

message 38: by Gianna (new)

Gianna | 19 comments Beautiful and fun work Ed! Thanks for sharing! I feel as if they really need to be seen in person to fully appreciate...I'm curious as to the textures!!

message 39: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 381 comments I love the colors in the blue painting--it's saying summer vacation to me ;)

message 40: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Gianna wrote: "Beautiful and fun work Ed! Thanks for sharing! I feel as if they really need to be seen in person to fully appreciate...I'm curious as to the textures!!"

Some of the paintings are gouaches (opaque water color) and much of the apparent texture is a result of color and paint handling, it is quite thin. On the acrylics, I usually work fairly thin and flat, but I do some layering and glazing sometimes, and that makes it look a little richer, especially the more recent ones. A lot of it depends on the painting, as they all develop different personalities.

message 41: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Connie wrote: "I love the colors in the blue painting--it's saying summer vacation to me ;)"

That's not a bad observation. Thanks for pointing it out. The longer I paint the more I am guided by my instincts, especially in the purely nonrepresentational ones. But I sort of see the cool blue and white splashyness, and the contrasting hot colors, and that's kind of the essence of summer vacation, don't you think?

This sounds silly but sometimes I am not really sure what something is, and I have to be guided by what it seems to want, and then get acquainted with it afterwords.

On the texture thing, there are some thicker parts in this one, so they are not all thin.

I sometimes take paint skins from a slick paper palette and transfer them onto the canvas with acrylic gel--and peel it off when it dries.

message 42: by Ed (last edited Aug 11, 2011 11:16PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Hey, I am taking a week off from work so I am doing some painting. So I don't flood you with posts, I am blogging it. Here's the links:

http://edsmileysartblog.blogspot.com/...

message 43: by Bakhtawar (new)

Bakhtawar | 4 comments Excellent!!

message 44: by Ed (last edited Jan 11, 2012 10:18PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Here's a new one I really like. It's 24" high X30" wide.

It's got acrylic transfer of a map, a newspaper, and several acrylic transferred xerox images.

message 45: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments In the fractals discussion, I think I mentioned I wanted to combine images that I made with custom formulas in a fractal generator into a painting (using laserjet transfer). I tried to combine them with all kinds of brushstrokes and other things.

Here's a few recent ones.
[image error]
[image error]

And this one, believe it or not has fractals all over the place, they're kind of hiding:
[image error]

message 46: by Heather (last edited Jan 12, 2012 07:20AM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments I really like your work, Ed. The incorporation of fractals is interesting.

message 47: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Here's some more.
I'll just add a link to my blog for anybody interested, instead of making a really long post:

message 48: by Ed (last edited Apr 09, 2012 06:12PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I doubt if anybody in the group is in driving range to Pacific Grove CA, but I am having an opening for a one man show this Friday.

There's 28 paintings, most of which nobody has seen yet (a few are posted above). It'll be up for 5 weeks.

Here's the details:
Pacific Grove Art Center
568 Lighthouse Ave., Pacific Grove, CA 93950

Reception: April 13 7-9 PM
Boyer Gallery
Open Wed - Sat, 12 to 5 PM • Sun, 1 to 4 PM • Closed Mon and Tues

Exhibit runs until May 24th

message 49: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I wish I could go, Ed! Good luck!

message 50: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I've never attempted a show this big. Good thing they hang them for you, and they did a very professional job.

Here's a link to opening reception photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/10885649...

They are also on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?se...

« previous 1