Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 16 comments Hi I love PNR but am not that familiar with urban fantasy. I have a book challenge for the new year which requires 2 Urban Fantasy reads. I would like some that qualify but are a good intro to the genre. Maybe some YA titles? I am not into the heavy erotic stuff and prefer the courtship and romance to sexual content. I am 25 (26 next month) so it isn't an age thing... just a preference. Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series is an excellent UF series with very little erotic content. I see the books in your TBR shelf. Time to pick them up and start reading. : )

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) I would also rec the Kate Daniels series - starts with Magic Bites

Chicagoland Vampires is a bit spicier, but still no sex through at least the first 2 books - starts with Some Girls Bite

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments I second Yz's recommendation for Mercy Thompson and will add a recommendation for Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. The first book can be a bit tough going initially, but it's totally worth sticking with it.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 16 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series is an excellent UF series with very little erotic content. I see the books in your TBR shelf. Time to pick them up and start reading. : )"

Thanks. LOL at the TBR shelf. I don't even own 90 percent of them... I am all "oooh that looks good" or "pretty cover" or "that has werewolves" MUST READ. Then I add them and forget...

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 16 comments Thanks everyone. :) I will have to decide which ones sounds the most my taste. I will give them a try.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 16 comments All 3 sound pretty good. Chicagoland Vampires is more expensive on Kindle for some reason unfortunately... :(

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) yeah - i bought those in book format, because at first I wasn't sure, and didn't want to fork out the money - then just ordered the rest because i'm AR that way! I would loan you some girls bite - but a friend has it right now

message 9: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) AV, I agree 100% w/Yz & DH, Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs is a great series! Gets better with each book, IMO. She also has Alpha & Omega.

A couple others I really like, that you have on your TBR:
Guild Hunters by Nalini Singh
Shifters/Werecats by Rachel Vincent

message 10: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Karen Chance is good. Some sexual references but I don't recall any actual sex, if there is any it's toned down. It's beena while since I read them since I read them as soon as they come out.

I just recently read the first in the Allie Beckstrom Series by Devon Monk. Magic to the Bone is the first one. A few sex scenes but it's more about the tension than the sex for most of the book.

I'm a huge UF fan and read a ton but wouldn't you know I'm blanking out on other sereies to recommend at teh moment. Too tired I guess.

message 11: by Blodeuedd (new)

Blodeuedd Finland Some of my favs have already been mentioned here. But last year I started this great Uf series, Charlie Madigan by Kelly Gay. Really great UF, totally worth checking out :)

message 12: by Kati (new)

Kati Ferry Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "All 3 sound pretty good. Chicagoland Vampires is more expensive on Kindle for some reason unfortunately... :("

They are more expensive but I bought them anyways because they are so good! Highly Recommend!

message 13: by Safron (new)

Safron Davis (saffy73) | 12 comments I don't know if anyone has recommended this yet but the weather warden series by rachel kaine.

message 14: by Kenya (new)

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I am going to have to second the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh, this is by far my favorite series and it just keeps getting better.

It has a ton of UF elements but also has love interests and could qualify as PR.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) Kelly Gay's books are amazing.

The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2) by Kelly Gay The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3) by Kelly Gay Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan #4) by Kelly Gay