"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy discussion

What is the relevance of the carrying of the fire? And why is it important that the kid keep carrying it? I want your take on it

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Sprauve (asprauve) | 20 comments I already have an opinion on it but i want your opinion

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 19 comments Mod
I think it's important to the kid because if he's carrying the fire then he's still good. Also, at the end I think the kid wanted to keep it going because it was something that him and his father stood for and that's all he really knows.

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Sprauve (asprauve) | 20 comments I agree with you the fire represents the good within. The father realizes this and want his son to carry on that goodness when he dies. The son wants to carry it on in remembrance of his father.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Guidace | 7 comments I agree with both of you. The fire represents the good in people. The boy and the father are carrying the fire because they are the "good guys". The majority of people traveling the road aren't "carrying the fire", so that's why the boy is constantly mentioning it and checking if other people are. The father wants the son to continue carrying the fire because he wants him to continue with their purpose of being the good guys, even after he's gone. I also think that in a way the fire can represent the father after he's gone. The father is the one who taught the boy to be a good guy and the right way to live in this corrupt world. So by telling him to continue carrying the fire and living the correct way, the boy will be carrying the father around with him everywhere he goes.