Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Admin Posts > Questions & Concerns

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
If you have any questions or problems regarding Paranormal Romance, this is the place to put them!

message 2: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 53 comments Hi, Pamela,

Gosh, I hate to be a spoilsport, but it has been brought to my attention that one of your members at least is inviting Goodread members to break the law.

E-Books may not be exchanged or shared under the laws of the Berne Treaty and under the DMCA.

The reason for this is that copyright protection means that only the author or her contracted assignees (by written, signed contract) have the right to create copies of the work, and to distribute them.

While few authors get publicly upset about private copyright infringement, public infringement is another matter altogether, because it tends to reinforce common misunderstandings of what the law is and what copyright means.

Please make sure .pdfs are not shared on this group. Thank you.

Rowena Cherry

message 3: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Rowena, it is listed in the rules that illegal copies of ebooks are not to be linked to or exchanged in the group. I'll take care of the situation. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

message 4: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 53 comments TDF Pamela wrote: "Rowena, it is listed in the rules that illegal copies of ebooks are not to be linked to or exchanged in the group. I'll take care of the situation. Thanks for bringing it to my attention."

Thank you so much, Pamela. I did notice your group rules, and I thank you very much for your excellent rules for the group and for your conscientious enforcement.

I suspect that maybe a few readers are unaware of what "illegal" means given that so many pirates on other sites and groups describe illegal and bootlegged copies of books as "freely available" and "free to all" and even (wrongly) "public domain".

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry

message 5: by ൠSinful (new)

ൠSinful  (sinful) | 118 comments What makes a book Fantasy Romance as apposed to PNR?

message 6: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments They overlap, Sinful. PNR overlaps with fantasy, science fiction, and several other subcategories. I'd like to give a concise line to use, but it's impossible, because fantasy is also an umbrella term for urban fantasy, epic fantasy, contemporary fantasy, sword and sorcery style, and so forth. I can't give S&S as a dividing line and use "real world" separators, becuase urban and contemporary fantasy both have a real-world base. See the problems?

B

message 7: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

For the purposes of this group, think of fantasy romance as a romance with a setting like Lord of the Rings. Books by C.L. Wilson and Diana Winstead Jones would fit into this category.

message 8: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn As far as I understood it, andthing set in current times or in an Urban setting could be UF/PNR. stuff that has a middle ages feel is usually Fantasy.

message 9: by Lola (new)

Lola (llhlola) | 9 comments I have a dumb question, and I am not sure where to post it. I have been on Goodreads for about 6 months now, and I still can't figure out how to make the covers of my books appear in my comment. I know how to create a link, but how do I create a link that is the image of the book?

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber | 43 comments Right above the comment box you'll find a link that says "add book/author", click on that, type in the name of the book, and make sure you click "cover" instead of "link" and it'll show up!

message 11: by Bemidji (new)

Bemidji (ehleighen) | 39 comments Amber wrote: "Right above the comment box you'll find a link that says "add book/author", click on that, type in the name of the book, and make sure you click "cover" instead of "link" and it'll show up!"

Thanks! I admit I joined quite a while ago and enjoy getting updates in my inbox (although it seems a bit overwhelming, I can't read as fast as all the books you girls recommend!!). I haven't really did any posting because I didn't know how to put the book covers up yet either, so thanks! it was easy.

message 12: by Lola (new)

Lola (llhlola) | 9 comments Thanks!

message 13: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 7 comments Hi, am looking for a mermaid love story, if there are any can anyone please recommend one. Thanks.

message 14: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Rosa wrote: "Hi, am looking for a mermaid love story, if there are any can anyone please recommend one. Thanks."
I think that The Daughters of Arianne series by
Joey W. Hill is about mermaids. I've never read the books, so I can't tell you anything about them.
A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1) by Joey W. Hill A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2) by Joey W. Hill A Mermaid's Ransom (Daughters of Arianne, #3) by Joey W. Hill

message 15: by Nairabell (last edited Mar 28, 2011 04:48AM) (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments There's also Siren's Call (Dark Tides, #1) by Devyn Quinn :)

message 16: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 86 comments FYI about the Joey W Hill books... they are very detailed and erotic. I read the first one and it was pretty good but I haven't read the others.

message 17: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 7 comments Thanks for your help.

message 18: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 86 comments Rosa wrote: "Hi, am looking for a mermaid love story, if there are any can anyone please recommend one. Thanks."

Now that I've thought about it a little, one of my favorite books of all time has mermaids in it. Try Goddess of the Sea by P.C. Cast. I loved it and Goddess of the Spring.

Goddess of the Sea (Goddess Summoning, #1) by P.C. Cast Goddess of Spring (Goddess Summoning, #2) by P.C. Cast

message 19: by Juana "Darkness" (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 109 comments If I buy an Ipad, how would I know which books can go into it? For example when you click on a title and it shows you Amazon Kindle does that mean that it's only for Kindals? Or is it for all the other ereaders as well?

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i don't own an ipad, but from my understandin,g you can put different aps on it - such as the kindle app, the B&N app...and then you can shop at those stores for books, as well as at the ibookstore (the apple specific one)

message 21: by Tania (new)

Tania Juana "Darkness" wrote: "If I buy an Ipad, how would I know which books can go into it? For example when you click on a title and it shows you Amazon Kindle does that mean that it's only for Kindals? Or is it for all the o..."

I have an iPad and I use calibre to convert my books into epubs so I can have all my books in iBooks no matter where I purchased them from. And with Calibre you're not restricted to who you buy them from.

However, if that's too much trouble then you can buy books from the iBooks store (expensive - but let me get Lover Unleashed early), Kindle (has it's own app) and I think Barnes and Noble have their own app as well but they don't sell to Australians.

Audible has it's own app for audio books or you can listen to them like you would other music.

Oh and goodreads has it's own app so you can keep track of your books listed here.

The good thing about using an iPad is that if you have an iPhone or iPod touch you can sync your books to both devices so you've always got them on you :)

message 22: by Juana "Darkness" (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 109 comments That helped so much thank you.

message 23: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Hi, everyone! Just for future reference, this topic should be used for questions and concerns about the group or goodreads stuff in general.

If you have questions about books/readers/etc, I'd suggest creating a new topic in the proper folder.

Thanks!

message 24: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Faulkner | 9 comments ൠSinful (and proud of it) wrote: "What makes a book Fantasy Romance as apposed to PNR?"

Also, I believe that paranormal romance has to have a satisfying ending, whereas fantasy and urban fantasy do not. As in the two main characters get together in the end. In fantasy (give or take Arwen and Strider marrying in the Lord of the Rings) there need be no happy couples at all.

Right?

Morgan

message 25: by Makai (new)

Makai Estrada (silentreader-) | 2 comments ummm hi i'm just new here can i just rate and comment until I get used to be here...but I really like your choice of a genre name ^_^

message 26: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Hi, Makai. Lurk all you'd like! We definitely don't require participation unless the member feels like it, so pop into discussions whenever you're comfortable. :)

message 27: by Makai (new)

Makai Estrada (silentreader-) | 2 comments oh thank you very much :)

message 28: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 37 comments ൠSinful wrote: "What makes a book Fantasy Romance as apposed to PNR?"

I'm not a genre lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt...

Anything with Romance has to have a happy ending for the characters. Having spent hours talking about this with romance readers "satisfying" = happy. They are not satisfied with anything else.

So, while it's true that Fantasy =/= happy ending, or romance at all, Fantasy Romance has to have that happy ending.

In most of the Fantasy genre, Paranormal indicates real world set stories. Ghosts, vampires, werewolves are Fantasy if they happen in Forgotten Realms (set in a medieval style other world) and Paranormal if done by White Wolf (set in a somewhat dystopic Earth). Paranormal Romance then has a happy ending and is set on Earth, usually modern day, but historical is okay as well. Fantasy Romance takes place somewhere else, but also has a happy ending.

To make things muddier, Urban Fantasy involves the traditional tropes of Fantasy: fairies, dragons, magic, witches, ect... but happens in the real world. UF may be romantic. It may have gobs of sex. But it doesn't necessarily have a happy ending, which is why it's not PNR.

I guess it's called Paranormal Romance rather than Urban Fantasy Romance because UFR is just a clunky title. Why it's not called Paranormal Fantasy, I don't know.

message 29: by P.A. (last edited Aug 16, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments I joined in a reading challenge on the August challenge and I noticed that people are crossing off the books they listed as they finish a book . How do you do that?

message 30: by Drea (new)

Drea P.A. wrote: "I joined in a reading challenge on the August challenge and I noticed that people are crossing off the books they listed as they finish a book . How do you do that?"

When you post if you click on (some html is ok) it will tell tou the codes to type in. Hope that helps.

message 31: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Drea wrote: "P.A. wrote: "I joined in a reading challenge on the August challenge and I noticed that people are crossing off the books they listed as they finish a book . How do you do that?"

When you post if ..."

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

message 32: by Trish (new)

Trish McCallan (trishmccallan) | 17 comments Can someone give me a name of an active romantic suspense group. There are so many groups I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I belong to this one
Romantic Suspense
It is not very active but people do post quite often.

message 34: by Kiara (new)

Kiara | 16 comments How come we don't have a Historical Romance discussion board???

message 35: by Mel (new)

Mel (soireb) | 61 comments I have a question, more of a dilemma and i'm not sure if by starting a topic i'll be breaking the rules. See, I'm writing a story and i'm having problems naming my lead characters, i have a few ideas, but i could use some external opinions. Don't know if asking this is permitted or not and if it is, in which folder to place it?

message 36: by Delaney (last edited Nov 16, 2011 07:52PM) (new)

Delaney  Burton (delaneyakafrog) | 347 comments Hi, I have a question and I hope this is the right place to post it. When I mark a book as to be read or as read it is posting on my FB page. I am currently reading some Erotica and don't want it posting on my FB page as I have a few younger family members on there. I tried to figure out myself but I am lost. Can you explain how I would stop that? Thanks so much.

message 37: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Delaney wrote: "Hi, I have a question and I hope this is the right place to post it. When I mark a book as to be read or as read it is posting on my FB page. I am currently reading some Erotica and don't want it p..."

Delaney, I was just warning someone else about this the other day. I think you have your profile set to automatically update Facebook. I think you need to go into your profile and click edit profile. Then its under the tab that says apps--just disable the one under facebook and it will stop.

message 38: by Delaney (new)

Delaney  Burton (delaneyakafrog) | 347 comments Thanks so much. I really don't mind most people know what I read but it's probably best if my younger family can't see it.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 29 comments What is the maximum number of days that can be set for how many days before a group read I would like to receive a notice by e-mail? I'd like at least a 2 week reminder because I'm usually in the middle of another book whenever one of my groups posts the next group read & to be able to participate I'd have to put my current book down and come back to it later. I just hate doing that. What a great idea to have the e-mail notices to start with! This is the only group I've ever seen on any site that does that.

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 6 comments Hello, I was wondering if there was a website that let us find out if there is sexual stuff in books. My daughter is wanting to read some ya books that I really don't want to have to read first to make sure they are ok for her. So is there a site that will do a rating like a IMDB will show for movies?

message 41: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hello, I was wondering if there was a website that let us find out if there is sexual stuff in books. My daughter is wanting to read some ya books that I really don't want to have to read first to ..."

Try http://www.commonsensemedia.org/ They break the content down and have an age rating. There are also comments and reviews from users that let you know if there are any big issues (you get things like "20% feel violence is a problem").

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 6 comments Nairabell wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Hello, I was wondering if there was a website that let us find out if there is sexual stuff in books. My daughter is wanting to read some ya books that I really don't want to have ..."

Thank You! Have a Merry Christmas

message 43: by Nafisah (new)

Nafisah | 1 comments Hi!
I am new on this site.
Thanks for letting me in your group.
I meed someone else.
Actually am still trying to figure out how to read the books i want.
Thanks for your kind help.
Nafisah

message 44: by Petra (new)

Petra Longtine | 6 comments Hi,
I'm also new to this site.
I love PNR books.
I hope to find new books to read.
Can I have some suggestions for new series?
Also some groups to join? Thanks.

message 45: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Hi Petra,

If you look around in the discussion folders, you'll find a lot of topics that discuss new series. I hope you'll find some recommendations there!

message 46: by Petra (new)

Petra Longtine | 6 comments Thank you very much, Pamela

message 47: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) =) Just wondering when the February Challenge will be posted? Not that I need more reasons to read or anything but I'm trying to figure out if I can handle another challenge on top of everything else. Hehehe

message 48: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Jan 24, 2012 07:12PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Soo wrote: "=) Just wondering when the February Challenge will be posted? Not that I need more reasons to read or anything but I'm trying to figure out if I can handle another challenge on top of everything el..."

I usually post it between the 26th - 28th of the month. Coming soon. : )

message 49: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) Yz the Whyz wrote: "Soo wrote: "=) Just wondering when the February Challenge will be posted? Not that I need more reasons to read or anything but I'm trying to figure out if I can handle another challenge on top of e..."

Woohoo! =)

I think I read somewhere that you're life is crazy right now. Thanks for all you do for this group! =) Don't go nuts.

message 50: by Fallon (new)

Fallon Farmer | 11 comments I have a question about starting a new topic. Wanted to know if I could start one about what people like in a book. The topic would be when Reading a book what type of narroration intrests u? Examples: Different character narrorations in one book if different perspectives need to b told or just a one over all narroration? would that be okay? and where would I put it! thanks! :)

« previous 1