Dragon and magic lovers discussion

Books > Do you know this dragon book?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (last edited Nov 20, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Kara (sterlink) I started reading this one a few years back and then had to return it to the library, but haven't been able to find it since (and the library doesn't keep an account history).

Story goes something like:

There's a young boy in a remote village, and there is dragon fighting overhead. One of the dragons falls and, injured, becomes a centerpiece to the village. The dragon itself is some weird mix of beast and machine that requires a rider (the boy), but it's not as simple as that... joining with the dragon is a painful and weakening process. As I recall, the boy HAS to help and bond with the dragon to protect his village, but the other children begin to resent and fear him. This is all just near the beginning of the book...

Has anyone read this?

It also seems to me, that we learn shortly after this that there is a great war going on, and refugees are being sent to distinct areas, and removed from regions of an upcoming cataclysm...

For some reason, this story beginning has hung in my mind for some years now, and I'd like to find the book.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (alwaysrebecca) I hope you find it, it sounds really good!

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) I found it! It's The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick by Michael Swanwick, for anyone else who's interested.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (alwaysrebecca) The title sounds familiar... I think my library may have it. I'll check it out. Thanks Kara! :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dragons of Babel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Swanwick (other topics)