Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Socializing & Announcements

Comments (showing 151-200 of 1,095) (1095 new)    post a comment »

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments Our bookclub just finished our Poetry section yesterday.

message 152: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments You'll be able to use some of it for this challenge, right?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments it wasn't in actual book form. It was more like individual xeroxed copy sheets. It was about various art pieces in poetry.

message 154: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments I'm glad this challenge has a Poetry Theme. It's something I usaslly avoid but I know I'm missing out on a lot. I just can't seem to figure out what is "good" and what isn't especially in the modern way of writing now. But I'm hoping by tackling this challenge, I'll learn more especially since I'm teaching my kids. Already I've learned about Hexameters from Longfellow. Being able to compare different types of poetry ought to help me figure some of this out.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments I like poetry in doses. I even written some of my own.

message 156: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments Liz, welcome as moderator. However, I thought you were one already! You were always so good at picking out overlooked bonuses on my postings and helping me out!

message 157: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 | 10 comments Hi all, I am new to the challenges, and right now feeling overwhelmed with the scoring and trying to figure it out.

message 158: by Liz M (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:33PM) (new)

Liz M AM10000 wrote: "Hi all, I am new to the challenges, and right now feeling overwhelmed with the scoring and trying to figure it out."

Welcome! Don't be intimidated, just take it one step at a time. Look over the tasks, read a book that fits a task, and then post it in the completed task thread.

This thread explains bonus points and the Completed Tasks thread will give you an idea of how points are awarded. There is a thread for general questions, and task specific help threads as well. Don't hesitate to ask questions, the veteran members are quite helpful & will point out overlooked points & explain why you should get them.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7542 comments I'm so glad to see a couple of new faces here - welcome! It's easy to feel overwhelmed. A spreadsheet may make it easier for you to track your reads and the extra points. I started with one from Spring of 2010 and have developed it to meet my needs as I've better understood how to help keep things clear to me.

message 160: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (Walker) | 922 comments AM10000 wrote: "Hi all, I am new to the challenges, and right now feeling overwhelmed with the scoring and trying to figure it out."

And, hey, welcome! Great to see another BookObsessed person here. (msjoanna from BO)

message 161: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments AM10000 wrote: "Hi all, I am new to the challenges, and right now feeling overwhelmed with the scoring and trying to figure it out."

It's for fun. A good way to read some of those books you've always wanted to but never did.

message 162: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 | 10 comments Hey Joanna. :) You're the reason I found the group! I saw some of your posts through your updates.

message 163: by Krista (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments AM10000 wrote: "Hi all, I am new to the challenges, and right now feeling overwhelmed with the scoring and trying to figure it out."

Hi AM10000 --

Welcome to the group. I hope you'll find that we're a friendly bunch. I know that we all try to be helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you need some help figuring anything out.

I think that most of us feel a bit overwhelmed at the beginning of the challenge. There are so many possible books, and trying to find the best task possible to maximize your Style points takes some research. You're not alone.

Again --- "Welcome!"

-Krista

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments I love this group because I love racking up points for doing the tasks more than once.

message 165: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 | 10 comments Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. :)

message 166: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments Krista, do you know my final score for Winter's challenge? I know I finished the Mega at the last minute but couldn't remember if that just added another 100 pts or if it was an extra 200 pts for finishing both of them? I'm going to see if I can beat my score in this challenge.
Thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments I believe Mega is an extra 200 points.

message 168: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Rebekah wrote: "Krista, do you know my final score for Winter's challenge? I know I finished the Mega at the last minute but couldn't remember if that just added another 100 pts or if it was an extra 200 pts for f..."

I haven't finished tallying the last few posts that were made for the Winter Challenge. (It's been a crazy week.) I'll do that over the weekend. Would you like me to post a note in the Spring Challenge Completed Task folder when the final Winter points have been added?

message 169: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments Krista wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Krista, do you know my final score for Winter's challenge? I know I finished the Mega at the last minute but couldn't remember if that just added another 100 pts or if it was an ext..."

It doesn't matter about posting. I just wanted to know for myself because I couldn't remember if completing a Mega finish was another 100 or 200 pts. I'm hoping my math is right this time! (smile)

message 170: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3264 comments How's everybody doing with the challenge so far? As usual, I've picked tons of books that fit and probably won't get through near as many as I want to, but I sure think the tasks are a lot of fun this time, even though challenging at times!

message 171: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3264 comments I guess that's why it's called a challenge;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7542 comments I'm looking forward to so many good reads with this challenge! I have a few on the list that I probably won't get to, as I always do, but I think I haven't been quite as ambitious this time as in prior challenges.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments I have read two so far for challenges I am in and almost done with my third book.

message 174: by Krista (last edited Mar 09, 2011 04:05PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments As usual, my booklist of selections for this challenge is longer than I know I'll have time to finish. Now it's a battle between reading books I own that are worth fewer points than the library books I can get ahold.

As usual, so many books ---- so little time.

message 175: by Erin (new)

Erin (eecamp) I've started out at a pretty good pace, but I'm sure real life will catch up and cut into my reading time soon! I have been better at not picking so many thick tomes this time, so hopefully I get further in my list than in the past!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments I am on my fourth book for my challenges.

message 177: by Liz M (new)

Liz M War and Peace is still mocking me.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments It can mock all it wants, I have no interest in that book.

message 179: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 4274 comments Really? I've heard war and peace is a fantastic read. . . but i still haven't read it yet to be seen. . .

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments It just don't interest me :)

message 181: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 4274 comments to each their own i hear, and who knows it could just be another BIG book :)

message 182: by Liz M (last edited Mar 10, 2011 07:46PM) (new)

Liz M Kate wrote: "Really? I've heard war and peace is a fantastic read. . . but i still haven't read it yet to be seen. . ."

It is very good. But I've been reading it for two months and am only halfway through. I get home from work, tired, and ready to read. Then I look at the size of it and procrastinate. It doesn't help that I am also totaling all the points you're racking up & am so jealous that I am not reading short, old, canon books so I can earn lots of points, too. :p

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7542 comments But, Liz, when you read the last word on the last page, you will feel so noble, and so I'll give you a bow, before you get there, just for your tenaciousness.

message 184: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 4274 comments unemployement and insomnia are a great match for racking up some good points! i am working on gone with the wind one section at a time amongst my "short, old, canon books" which rack up the points :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7542 comments I have a non-fiction that I started last month that I'm reading in fits and starts. It won't count for any task, but I'm really enjoying the acquired knowledge. I'm being pretty lazy on the canon points this time and taking a relatively easy route.

message 186: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra My spring break starts Friday, so I'll actually have time to read something besides assigned books. I basically want to reread A Game of Thrones since the television show's coming out soon.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments I love that book and it will probably take you all your spring break to read. :)

message 188: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (Walker) | 922 comments Liz M wrote: "War and Peace is still mocking me."

Ditto that. I'm enjoying it, mostly, but I'm reading it on my kindle, so I don't think of it as often and get distracted by other things.

message 189: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments Yesterday the National Book Critics Circle Awards were handed out. If anyone is interested in who the winners are, here is the link

http://bookcritics.org/

Next will be the Pulitzers on April 18

message 190: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 241 comments Happy Pi Day! I hope to finish my Pi task book today in honor of it! :-)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1893 comments I been eating pie today :)

message 192: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments If anyone needs a book for Task 10.5, I have Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister in the Book Swap.

message 193: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments Only another Readaphiliac can relate to this. I am so looking forward to going to the hospital tomorrow. I'm having some surgery done (not too serious) and have to stay a couple of days. I don't have to do any Mommy things, just recover! I'm taking my Kindle, my audiobooks and a couple of anthologies of short stories I picked up at the store today, and my BookMarks Magazine....just in case! : )

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7542 comments Ok, Rebekah, have a good time! ;-)

message 195: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Rebekah wrote: "Only another Readaphiliac can relate to this. I am so looking forward to going to the hospital tomorrow. I'm having some surgery done (not too serious) and have to stay a couple of days. I don't ha..."

Good luck Rebecca. I hope all goes well, and you get lots of quality reading time in. :-)

message 196: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "Only another Readaphiliac can relate to this. I am so looking forward to going to the hospital tomorrow. I'm having some surgery done (not too serious) and have to stay a couple of days. I don't ha..."

Even weirder(?) I'm almost jealous you get mandatory rest & reading time. I hope you you do get plenty of both!

I've been a bit slammed at work & am behind on Readerboard updates. I just posted scores through message #300 and hopefully will get some time this weekend & next week to catch up (and to continue working on the massive tome that taunts me).

message 197: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments Hey, Liz Vegas!
I have to ask you a professional question. You told me you taught in a public school and I wonder if any credit goes towards a child's reading list for graphic novels, although they really aren't big enough to be novels. My 3rd grade son has started reading every Star Wars Comic book he can find at the library. These books look like comic strips but the books are about 30-50 pages. I've not been letting him count them but wouldn't it be like reading a play since the "word bubbles" above the head would be that character's lines, and the non speaking parts are like stage directions? I count two plays as one book. It's a fine line because I don't want to discourage his reading which part of the joy of it, is to read about what interests you, but I also don't want to be "cheating" in the credit department either.

message 198: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3264 comments I'm not Liz, but I am a public school high school librarian and I would give a definite yes for counting graphic novels like plays or even like a novel. My son is a writer and wants to write comics and he has taught me a lot about what it takes to really read comics. You have to read the space between the pictures and take the time to analyze the art as it is part of moving the story forward. In other words, there is less content in the text, but just as much content in the marriage of the text with the art. I am not as good at reading comics as my son is, but the better I get at it, the slower I go and the more I get out of it. If that's what your son reads, I would definitely encourage the skill!

message 199: by Katy (new)

Katy | 584 comments I'm a 5th grade teacher and I would personally say absolutely on the graphic novels. As far as getting "credit" I suppose your child's school/teacher might have some specific requirements. I ask my kids to read each night and ask their parents to sign off on their log. And I tell both kids and parents that graphic novels/comics absolutely count for this leisure reading time. I also count magazines (I would count newspapers if any of my kids were reading them!). For me, the purpose is to encourage kids to find reading material that they love, to increase the volume of reading they're doing, and to get reading to be a habit. When I see this work, I end up with the happy problem of kids who want to ignore me and read during math. So, I don't like to put genre limits on that assignment. There are so many occasions in school where I'm picking books for them, reading poems to them, making them read certain texts and genres, etc., and their at-home reading I want to be more free leisure reading.

message 200: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 2867 comments Liz M wrote: "Kate wrote: "Really? I've heard war and peace is a fantastic read. . . but i still haven't read it yet to be seen. . ."

It is very good. But I've been reading it for two months and am only halfwa..."

That's what I like about Kindle! I can't see how big it is so I don't get so discouraged! I've been amazed how quickly I read a larger book after I found out how many pages it really had. I guessd I'm susceptable to the "placebo effect"! smile!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kim (other topics)
Collected Stories (other topics)
Joseph and His Brothers (other topics)
The Lacuna (other topics)
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rudyard Kipling (other topics)
James Gould Cozzens (other topics)
Gregory David Roberts (other topics)
Rita Golden Gelman (other topics)
Nikky Finney (other topics)
More...