The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

135 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.6- Cookie Exchange

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 01:57AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Cookie Exchange: Bake Cookies Day is celebrated on December 18th. Read a book with the word "cookie(s)" or any word from a cookie variety in the title. Here's a list of cookies to get you started: Joy of Baking Cookies. Brand names such as "Oreo" are allowed. Required: If you choose the cookie variety option, please include the cookie variety when you post. Ex. cookie variety: Russian Tea Cake(s): The Russian Concubine, Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake


If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.


message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Jan 05, 2011 03:54AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
animal crackers are cookies: "animal" in title works
"lady finger" and "ladyfinger"- lady, finger(s), and ladyfinger(s) work
"frosted sugar cookies"- "frosted", "sugar" work
"stained glass cookies"- "stained" "glass"
"Christmas" works
"half" "moon"
"madeleine" and "madeline" ok
nighty night= "nighty" and "night" ok
circus animal ® "circus" "animal"= ok
Star Crunch ® "star" "crunch" = ok


message 3: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
The word in the title must match the word used in the cookie variety. In the task description example, "teas" and "Russia" would not work. "cake" and "cakes" work because the variety can be pluralized.


message 4: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would you consider an animal cracker, the kind that come in the cute little rectangle box, a cookie? i do, but just want clarification that they're actually a cookie! thanks! :)


message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments here's a few I know of:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
Sugar Cookie Murder
Gingerbread Cookie Murder

They are all part of a series, but can be read as stand-alones


message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
kiki wrote: "would you consider an animal cracker, the kind that come in the cute little rectangle box, a cookie? i do, but just want clarification that they're actually a cookie! thanks! :)"

They are cookies to me.


message 7: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments To help with word choices, try this site!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...


message 8: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Dlmrose wrote: "kiki wrote: "would you consider an animal cracker, the kind that come in the cute little rectangle box, a cookie? i do, but just want clarification that they're actually a cookie! thanks! :)"

The..."


yeay! so then, would you accept The Animal Dialogues: Uncommon Encounters in the Wild for this task, since it's got "animal" in the title and there are animal cracker cookies? :)


message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
kiki wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "kiki wrote: "would you consider an animal cracker, the kind that come in the cute little rectangle box, a cookie? i do, but just want clarification that they're actually a cookie! ..."

Yes, when you report it in Completed Tasks, state "Animal Cracker" and it works


message 10: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments yeay, thank you! :)


message 11: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2233 comments Would 'lady' as in 'lady finger' work?


message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Coralie wrote: "Would 'lady' as in 'lady finger' work?"

yes, I checked- there are recipes for "lady finger" and "ladyfinger"- lady, finger(s), and ladyfinger(s) work


message 13: by Inez (new)

Inez would frosted sugar cookies be ok for this task? And use the word Frosted in the books title?


message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Inez wrote: "would frosted sugar cookies be ok for this task? And use the word Frosted in the books title?"

Sure, include the variety when you post


message 15: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Does Mr. Peanut work? (I was thinking peanut butter cookies.)


message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Gayla wrote: "Does Mr. Peanut work? (I was thinking peanut butter cookies.)"

Mr. Peanut- Sure, include the cookie variety "peanut butter cookies"


message 17: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments How about The Glass Castle for Stained Glass cookies: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/stai...


message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Manday wrote: "How about The Glass Castle for Stained Glass cookies: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/stai..."

Sure (and I love the cookies and the book)


message 19: by Diane (last edited Nov 27, 2010 09:13PM) (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Here are a few words that I have seen cookie recipes for, but needed to know if they were acceptable:

FORTUNE cookies
Peanut butter KISS cookies
ORANGE cookies
MARIE cookies
CANDY cookies
THREE MUSKETEERS cookies
STAR cookies
Mexican WEDDING cakes
COCONUT macaroons (only the book I am considering has the word "coconuts" instead of coconut)
DEVIL Cookies and Devil's FOOD cookies
ANGEL cookies
SAND cookies
ROCK cookies
Rocky ROAD cookies
Chocolate DREAMS

also, would it be acceptable to use CHRISTMAS?


message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Here are a few words that I have seen cookie recipes for, but needed to know if they were acceptable:

FORTUNE cookies
Peanut butter KISS cookies
ORANGE cookies
MARIE cookies
CANDY cookies
T..."


Any cookie variety will work. For the coconut macaroons, the title would need to use "coconut"- no plurals (unless you can find a reference for a cookie with "coconuts" in the title.)
"Christmas" is ok- I found a recipe here with "Christmas" in the title, so it works.


message 21: by Jason (last edited Nov 29, 2010 12:08PM) (new)

Jason | 61 comments What about Half MOON cookies? I want to use The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress


message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "What about Half MOON cookies? I want to use The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress"

Sure, we call them "black and whites" here, but they're called half moon cookies too.


message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments Would When Madeline Was Young: A Novel work? Madeleines are cookies.


message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
While the spelling is usually "madeleine" cookies, there are recipes for the other variation "madeline", it works. Please reference the same spelling when you post.


message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments Dlmrose wrote: "While the spelling is usually "madeleine" cookies, there are recipes for the other variation "madeline", it works. Please reference the same spelling when you post."

Thanks!


message 26: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 854 comments Could I read Dying for Chocolate for Chocolate Cookies (exact match to recipe on the Joy of Cooking link).


message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
KSMary wrote: "Could I read Dying for Chocolate for Chocolate Cookies (exact match to recipe on the Joy of Cooking link)."

Absolutely


message 28: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I actually found a book calledFortune Cookie. It seemed to perfect to pass up the chance to use it:)


message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16687 comments Mod
An email from Better Homes & Gardens showed up in my inbox today, with a whole lot of christmas cookie recipes.

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/christmas...

Lots of good cookie names, and some delicious sounding recipes!


message 30: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 38 comments Would nitey night cookies work?

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/nitey-n...

Thanks!


message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Christy wrote: "Would nitey night cookies work?

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/nitey-n...

Thanks!"


It works


message 32: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments How about "circus" from Circus Animal Cookies http://www.motherscookies.com/Product...?


message 33: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Cindy AL wrote: "How about "circus" from Circus Animal Cookies http://www.motherscookies.com/Product...?"

It works


message 34: by JennRenee (last edited Jan 04, 2011 09:12PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1351 comments Litte Debbie has Star Crunch cookies can I use City of Stars


message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18220 comments Mod
Jenn Renee wrote: "Litte Debbie has Star Crunch cookies can I use City of Stars"

Star Crunch works


back to top