The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.5- Chinese Dragon Dance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 02:04AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 16922 comments Mod
Chinese Dragon Dance The Chinese New Year (February 14, 2011- The Year of the Tiger) is celebrated with a parade and a Dragon Dance. Read a book that features Mythical Creatures. If the creature is not obvious in the title or the book description, please include the information when you post. Ex.Dragonflight, Goddess of the Sea, The Last Unicorn,

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Jan 31, 2011 04:18AM) (new)

Explaining yes: any creature that appears on the list in the task description works- other creatures may work- ask if you have questions
Any alien will work. "Creature" aliens are a preference.
Ghosts work. Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy work.
Grendel
Harry Potter 1-7
Let the Right One In
Prince Caspian
The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo by Adam Roberts
The Eye of the World
The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again
The Mermaid Chair
The Mermaids Singing
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Moribito: Guardian Of The Spirit

message 3: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 10:16AM) (new)

explaining no: Gods, Goddesses, Titans, and Olympians don't work, but any creature that they come up against- kraken, centaur, cyclops, charybdis, oracle, etc would all qualify.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Would you accept a Titan as a mythical creature?

message 5: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments For those who'd want an interesting take on mythical creatures with a mix of romance and some darker tones, try out the Mythica Series by Stephanie Draven.

Poisoned Kisses is her latest and based on the comments surprised the usual romance reader since it was different and delighted them. This one includes a Hydra and a Nymph.

I'm going to use Poisoned since I haven't finished it yet.

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would you accept a Titan as a mythical creature?"

Gods, Goddesses, Titans, and Olympians don't work, but any creature that they come up against- kraken, centaur, cyclops, charybdis, oracle, etc would all qualify. All those are on the list.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Would the Titan's Curse work for this task? It has mythical creatures in the book.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7391 comments if someone needs a rec - Goddess of the Rose - re-telling of Beauty and the Beast- features a Minotaur as the beast

The Dragon series - GA Aiken - starts with Dragon Kin

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Going to shift Poisoned Kisses to Ms Anderson's task and replace this one with Goddess of the Sea -- mermaid & merman!

message 10: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 12:05PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would the Titan's Curse work for this task? It has mythical creatures in the book."

A review said there was a manticore so it works- make sure to include the mythical creature when you post.

message 11: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would The Chronicles of Narnia books work for this task?

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

kiki wrote: "would The Chronicles of Narnia books work for this task?"

It's been a long time since I've read them, so I hate to generalize about the entire series. There are creatures that work for this task that appear in the series. If you have a specific title in mind, I'll check. This Narnia character list may help. Dryads (wood nymphs), fauns, centaurs, etc work

message 13: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments oooh, thanks for the list! i'll check it out and see which book has mythological creatures in it, and then ask specifically about that title. :)

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7391 comments Goddess of the Sea is good, but personally, I loved Goddess of the Rose soo much more! ;)

Tanja wrote: "Going to shift Poisoned Kisses to Ms Anderson's task and replace this one with Goddess of the Sea -- mermaid & merman!"

message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Do you need to read the others in the series first? The desc for Rose makes me go SQUEE!

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7391 comments nope, they are all stand-alone...the only linkage, is that they are roughly based on fairy-tales/stories of gods and goddesses

message 17: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments what about vampires or werewolves?

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Hi Dlmrose, would hobbits ( as in The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings) work for this task?

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Lahni wrote: "what about vampires or werewolves?"

Yes, they are on the list

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Shannon wrote: "Hi Dlmrose, would hobbits ( as in The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings) work for this task?"

Yes, hobbits are on the list

message 21: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1932 comments I notice the list includes 'aliens'. So, can I read a Science Fiction book that features any aliens?

message 22: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 22, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

Coralie wrote: "I notice the list includes 'aliens'. So, can I read a Science Fiction book that features any aliens?"

I think if the alien is a "creature" rather than a humanoid it works (if that makes sense) to put it in a frame of reference (Star Trek) a Romulan wouldn't work, but a Gorn would. ETA I had the images attached, but they are copyright protected- check them out on Wikipedia.
I'm not sure how easy this is to figure out without reading the book- if you have a title in mind, I can make a determination

ETA: Any alien will work. "Creature" aliens are a preference. Determining the alien characteristics without reading the book might reveal too many spoilers and that might impact a reader's enjoyment of a book.

message 23: by Inez (new)

Inez will this book work for this task Let the Right One InThanks for your help

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Inez wrote: "will this book work for this task Let the Right One InThanks for your help"

yes, it works

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Coralie wrote: "I notice the list includes 'aliens'. So, can I read a Science Fiction book that features any aliens?"

Coralie, see my edit in post 22.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 656 comments I'm thinking of reading one of the following:

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey
Grendel by John Gardner

message 27: by Petra (new)

Petra Just want to confirm that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is acceptable? According to the list of Narnia characters above, the book contains Duffers (dwarves) and Trumpkin, the Red Dwarf.

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

Patricia wrote: "I'm thinking of reading one of the following:

Grendel by John Gardner"

I'm not sure if the mermaids actually appear in the first two- but the descriptions say that they involve the mythology of mermaids, so I'll take them.
Grendel works.

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

Petra wrote: "Just want to confirm that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is acceptable? According to the list of Narnia characters above, the book contains Duffers (dwarves) and Trumpkin, the Red Dwarf."

yes

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 656 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I'm thinking of reading one of the following:

Grendel by John Gardn..."

Thanks.

message 31: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1932 comments Thanks Dlmrose. I must admit that I like my aliens as unhumanoid as possible.

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Coralie wrote: "Thanks Dlmrose. I must admit that I like my aliens as unhumanoid as possible."

LOL me too

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Hunter (jackiehunter) | 32 comments Just making sure but I'm assuming ghosts won't work with this task?

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Hawkeye Jackie wrote: "Just making sure but I'm assuming ghosts won't work with this task?"

They are on the list-I'll accept ghosts

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Hunter (jackiehunter) | 32 comments WoohoO!

message 36: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments so i'm going to go with Prince Caspian for this one. the wikipedia page that you provided the link for states that fauns and satyrs are both creatures that are characters in the book. thanks for the link! :)

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

kiki wrote: "so i'm going to go with Prince Caspian for this one. the wikipedia page that you provided the link for states that fauns and satyrs are both creatures that are characters in the book..."

Glad I could help

message 38: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) will you accept zombies? or vampires?

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7391 comments there is also a dragon in Voyage of the Dawn Treader which is nothing if not mythical

Petra wrote: "Just want to confirm that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is acceptable? According to the list of Narnia characters above, the book contains Duffers (dwarves) and Trumpkin, the Red Dwarf."

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Riona wrote: "will you accept zombies? or vampires?"

Yes to both

message 41: by Liz (new)

Liz Does anyone know if The Eye of the World has mythical creatures in it?

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Liz wrote: "Does anyone know if The Eye of the World has mythical creatures in it?"

According to a few sources it does (without spoilers) ex. an Ogier described as a "non-human creature"
It works

message 43: by Liz (new)

Liz Awesome! Thanks!

message 44: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Do the Harry Potter books qualify? And if so, which ones?

message 45: by chucklesthescot (last edited Nov 24, 2010 10:24AM) (new)

chucklesthescot In my opinion all the Harry Potter books work...
book 1-centaurs
book 2-basilisk
book 3-werewolf
book 4-dragons
book 5-centaurs/werewolf
book 6-werewolf
book 7-werewolf/dragon

sorry,just sticking my beak in!

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

I've been checking and a Harry Potter wiki lists more than 75 creatures in the HP books, but it didn't indicate in which books they appeared. I'll go with chucklesthescot's list. All 7 HP books work.

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1039 comments Aside from that, many of the books had house elves. And then they were always taking Care of Magical Creatures and there were always mysterious creatures in those classes...

message 48: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Thanks. I managed to put the book I wanted in another section.

message 49: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) I have an anthology of The Chronicles of Narnia which contains all of the books in the series. I would like to read one of the novels from the book and was wondering if I should find a copy of the novel in a singular form on Goodreads to get credit for the read or should I read the entire thing (which I have been meaning to for a number of years) instead?

message 50: by Dlmrose (new)

Books must be read in their entirety for SRC, so you can't pick and chose from an omnibus. You could find one of the novels or read the collected work- that call is up to you. You may be able to fit books from that series into other tasks

« previous 1