The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.3- Sláinte! To Your Health!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 02:07AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18117 comments Mod
Sláinte! To Your Health!: Read a non-fiction book that might inspire you to improve your physical health. It could be a diet or nutrition book, healthy cooking cookbook, a sports/fitness book, or a self-improvement book with a physical health theme ex. smoking cessation, illness management, pregnancy self-care, etc. Ex.:So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week, Strength for Life: The Fitness Plan for the Rest of Your Life, The Best Life Diet

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I have this and would like to read it:
The Heart Speaks: A Cardiologist Reveals the Secret Language of Healing

I have HBP and a general overall bad cardiac health. This book, I think, would be educational and sounds like it talks about how to improve cardiac health. Would it work, even though it's not an exercise book or "here are tips to stop smoking" type book?

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Christine US wrote: "I have this and would like to read it:
The Heart Speaks: A Cardiologist Reveals the Secret Language of Healing

I have HBP and a general overall bad cardiac health. This book, I..."

yes, it works even thought it is not a typical "how-to", the author instructs how to "reverse coronary disease with diet, exercise, meditation and support groups"

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "would Eat This Not That! Restaurant Survival Guide: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution or any of the others in that series work?"

sure! as long as they meet the pg number requirements- I didn't check them all

message 8: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 445 comments How about a cookbook? I was thinking of The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook.

message 10: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 22, 2010 08:39AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I have one...I have this book and have used it before to workout to. If anybody needs a good book that will work and give you results when you go to the gym you should give this a try. I did not do the workouts six days a week like it asked, but I did it at least 3 times a week and my flexibility improved; I got sore after workouts...always indicating I did something; and I started to lose weight especially in my belly and booty. :D I just want to make sure it will work for the task.

The Core Performance: The Revolutionary Workout Program to Transform Your Body & Your Life

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Jen B wrote: "How about a cookbook? I was thinking of The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook."

That one works, cookbooks work as long as they offer healthier choices

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Would something like The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals or Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life work?"

They work- they make you think about food choices

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "I think I have one...I have this book and have used it before to workout to. If anybody needs a good book that will work and give you results when you go to the gym you should give this a try. I ..."

It works

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Would something like The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals or Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life work?..."

Great, thanks!

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz Would Eating Animals work?

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Liz wrote: "Would Eating Animals work?"

Yes, like the books above- this book is about conscious eating

message 17: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal work for this? i'm trying to break the chains with those damned mcmuffins, and i'm thinking this book may help! thanks! :)

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

kiki wrote: "would Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal work for this? i'm trying to break the chains with those damned mcmuffins, and i'm thinking this book may help! thanks! :)"

Yes

message 19: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments thank you! :)

message 20: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Dlmrose wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "I think I have one...I have this book and have used it before to workout to. If anybody needs a good book that will work and give you results when you go to the gym you should giv..."

Yay! This will give me a good excuse to get back into some of these routines.

message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

Christina wrote: "Would How to Be Ageless: Growing Better, Not Just Older! work for this task?"

It looks like it does. There's a chapter on "honoring your body" and the author (a public speaker/life coach) and this book are cross-listed under "nutrition" on a speaker's board site.

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

message 25: by Beth (last edited Nov 27, 2010 06:29PM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments I downloaded a copy of Meditation for Optimum Health from my library/overdrive but after looking more closely at the page details, am wondering whether it will work for this task or not.

1 - This is an audiobook without a book equivalent so I don't know if it meets the minimum page requirement. If not, I'll probably find something a little longer along the same lines. Which leads me to my next question...

2 - Would you count a self-help book about meditation as improving physical health? On one hand, I definitely think it counts since you're using your mind to control the breathing in your body as well as some other physical benefits. But on the other hand it feels like it might be toeing the line so I wanted to check. :)

So anyway, if my first book doesn't meet the length requirement, I'm also interested in this one: Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness And Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, And Panic.

Thanks!

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth F. wrote: "I downloaded a copy of Meditation for Optimum Health from my library/overdrive but after looking more closely at the page details, am wondering whether it will work for this task or n..."

Re: 1. I need to think about audio equivalents for a little bit- I'll get back to you ASAP.

Re: 2.- As far as physical vs. mental health, I will leave that decision up to the reader- if you think this book will improve your physical health, then it will work.

So...Re: 3- if you think this book will improve your physical health, Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness And Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, And Panic works. There is a chapter on the body and its fear system.

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Cool, thanks. :)

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments For what it is worth, I listened to The Giver on audio for the Fall Challenge and it was about 3 hours, 45 minutes in length and that book has 179 pages.

The one I'm asking about is about 2.5 hours in length.

But this is tough, because so much of it has to do with the speed at which the reader speaks.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Anyone know of any funny, sarcastic physical health books written by comedians or others of that ilk?

message 30: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Anyone know of any funny, sarcastic physical health books written by comedians or others of that ilk?"

Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now isn't written by a comedian but she doesn't take herself too seriously either.

message 31: by Inez (new)

Inez Would this book work for this task The Power by Rhonda Byrne

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Inez wrote: "Would this book work for this task The Power by Rhonda Byrne"

Can you explain why you think this one works? I don't see it, but I might be missing the connection.

message 33: by Inez (new)

Inez Dlmrose wrote: "Inez wrote: "Would this book work for this task The Power by Rhonda Byrne"

Can you explain why you think this one works? I don't see it, but I might be m..."

I think to change physical you need to have your mind right. This book helps to do that. It explains how having a positive attitude, you can have to power to change anything you want, you can achieve perfect health make the physical changes that you want. Having a positive attitude can have an effect on you or so I think. :)

If this book does not work I can find another. Just thought I would see if it would. Thanks for your help.

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Inez wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Inez wrote: "Would this book work for this task The Power by Rhonda Byrne"

Can you explain why you think this one works? I don't see it..."

I can see your interpretation, it works.

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I think I am going to read If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?: Tools to Get it Done. This works, right?

message 36: by Inez (new)

Inez Dlmrose wrote: "Inez wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Inez wrote: "Would this book work for this task The Power by Rhonda Byrne"

Can you explain why you think this one works? I d..."

Thank you!

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn wrote: "I think I am going to read If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?: Tools to Get it Done. This works, right?"

It does

message 38: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmarble) | 316 comments What type of Sports/fitness book would be appropriate for this? I'd really rather read something from that genre, but I'm struggling with ideas. Would something like It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life work?

message 39: by Dlmrose (new)

Meagan wrote: "What type of Sports/fitness book would be appropriate for this? I'd really rather read something from that genre, but I'm struggling with ideas. Would something like [book:It's Not About the Bike: ..."

Do you think it would make you want to take a bike ride? or get a check-up? any book that might be an inspiration to take care of yourself (or a loved one, family member etc) would work.

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Oh, so a memoir of someone who suffered some terrible disease will work? Or a biography of Typhoid Mary or something?

message 41: by Dlmrose (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Oh, so a memoir of someone who suffered some terrible disease will work? Or a biography of Typhoid Mary or something?"

If it might inspire you to improve your health (and is non-fiction) it works. If you can make a connection between a a book like Growing Up Again: Life, Love and Oh Yeah, Diabetes and a way that you could improve your health, it could work for this task. A biography of Typhoid Mary might be a stretch, but if you can make a connection, I'll consider it.

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Kat wrote: "How about Listening to Prozac: The Landmark Book About Antidepressants and the Remaking of the Self ?"

If you think this book will inspire you to improve your physical health, then it will work.

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail work? Bryson walks the Appalachian Trail. Walking is good for you, and I thinks that's pretty inspiring.

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

Kate wrote: "Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail work? Bryson walks the Appalachian Trail. Walking is good for you, and I thinks that's pretty inspiring."

If it inspires you, it works. You may want to include the connection when you post

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kate wrote: "Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail work? Bryson walks the Appalachian Trail. Walking is good for you, and I thinks that's pretty insp..."

Thanks!

message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments I'm thinking of reading Tales From The Scale. Would this fit?

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7853 comments I love the Skinny Bitch books...I get my friends the Skinny Bitch Bun in hte Oven books as a pregnancy gift quite often!

Diane wrote: "How about Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!?"

« previous 1