The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.1- Birthday Wishes

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 02:09AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18121 comments Mod
Birthday Wishes: Visit the shelves of a SRC member with a winter birthday and read a book he/she has rated 5 stars. Required: Tell us which SRC member's list you used.

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2010 02:13AM) (new)

There's a list of links at post 10 Birthday Calendar

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments so one of the members i've clicked on has listed The Chronicles of Narnia(the collection) with 5 stars. do i have to read all 7 books, or can i just pick one? thanks! :)

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

kiki wrote: "so one of the members i've clicked on has listed The Chronicles of Narnia(the collection) with 5 stars. do i have to read all 7 books, or can i just pick one? thanks! :)"

That book is listed with a separate isbn. You would have to read that edition or its equivalent: from the book C.S. Lewis' classic series is now available in an attractive streamline paperback volume that includes the complete text of all seven books. A Pauline Baynes illustration pulled from the original 1950s editions graces each chapter, and the unabridged text is presented in C.S. Lewis' original spelling and punctuation. Now adults can enjoy the entire series as much as the next generation.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments kiki wrote: "so one of the members i've clicked on has listed The Chronicles of Narnia(the collection) with 5 stars. do i have to read all 7 books, or can i just pick one? thanks! :)"

FYI - I have a winter birthday (and am on the list) and have individually rated each of the chronicles 5 stars. I am a huge fan. :)

message 7: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I went to the "WINTER BIRTHDAY" topic (where people list which season their birthday falls into for picking a name for the "it's my birthday" task). If the member we used didn't seem to participate this fall, can we still use them? It's hard to tell who is who with all the name changes between normal name changes and what they call themselves on the Readerboard vs their name in the message line.

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Yes, if he or she is still a member of SRC you can use his or her list. The name changes are tricky and older posts don't include Readerboard names. The list was generated from the Readerboards of the past challenges and that thread. If you find any additions or changes, please let me know- I don't want to miss anyone.

message 9: by Manday (last edited Nov 22, 2010 09:44AM) (new)

Manday | 311 comments Just a hint, if you are at someones profile and click "compare books" it will show you all the books you have in common with the person and how you both rated it, so you can look for their five stars that you have marked "to read".

message 10: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Beth F. wrote: "kiki wrote: "so one of the members i've clicked on has listed The Chronicles of Narnia(the collection) with 5 stars. do i have to read all 7 books, or can i just pick one? thanks! :)..."

lol, i found YOUR page right after i posted that question and i was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy! :) i'm trying to fit in the whole series (minus LWW, which i just finished again) in this challenge and you helped immensely! :)

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Beth, you are the only one who posted here saying they are a Winter b-day so I used yours. It was just too much trouble to go through that list of names and make sure I was getting the right person!

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

If you use post 10 in the birthday calendar thread the checking has been done for you. See post 2

message 13: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments So if they are in Post 4, but NOT in post 10 on that link, then we cannot use their name/book?

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I have to admit that I did not scroll down that far. However, I am happy with my pick from Beth. Thanks for the info, though, Dlmrose!

message 15: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 23, 2010 03:46AM) (new)

Christine US wrote: "So if they are in Post 4, but NOT in post 10 on that link, then we cannot use their name/book?"

You may use anything in post 4, but there are posts there from people that have not been on the Readerboard in a while- they may no longer be members of the group. I believe I have most of post 4 included in post 10- accounting for name changes, etc.

message 16: by Joanna (last edited Nov 24, 2010 07:19AM) (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments I'm new here and not yet included in the list linked at post 10 -- My birthday is Jan. 29. Readerboard name Joanna T.

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Joanna wrote: "I'm new here and not yet included in the list linked at post 10 -- My birthday is Jan. 29. Readerboard name Joanna T."

got it- Thanks Joanna T and welcome!

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments Joanna wrote: "I'm new here and not yet included in the list linked at post 10 -- My birthday is Jan. 29. Readerboard name Joanna T."

Hey Joanna - I used your shelf (we have a lot of similar books!) and picked Middlesex...it's been on my nightstand for a while now.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7854 comments i hope middlesex is good - I'm using it for the lots of ratings book

message 20: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i hope middlesex is good - I'm using it for the lots of ratings book"

it starts slow (to me it did, anyway) but is a fabulous read! :)

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7854 comments thanks - i grabbed the audiobook from the library, so I'll have to see how it goes

kiki wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i hope middlesex is good - I'm using it for the lots of ratings book"

it starts slow (to me it did, anyway) but is a fabulous read! :)"

message 22: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments I'm new here, and my birthday takes place in winter as well, January 22nd :)