Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2010 -12 - Contemporary fiction - What will you Read in December?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments It's that time again :0)
Can't wait to see what you pick for this month's shelf

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/c...

message 2: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Dec 15, 2010 12:11PM) (new)

message 3: by Candiss (last edited Dec 06, 2010 03:44PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I'm finishing up challenges in a couple of other groups, so I am only going to try for those I can use to multi-task. (Multi-read?)

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Air: Or, Have Not Have by Geoff Ryman

message 4: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod | 221 comments There are so many books from this list already on my TBR list that I almost don't know which to pick, but I will start with: The Lucky One

With winter break next month though, I am hoping to read a few more

message 5: by Slayermel (last edited Nov 19, 2010 09:36PM) (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Blarneygod I'm having the same problem. I got to page 42 and already have 124 of the book on my mount TBR. I'm scarred to go on. I have no idea what I'm going to try to narrow it down too.

message 6: by Meghan (last edited Dec 19, 2010 03:37AM) (new)

Meghan The Plot Against America by Philip Roth
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Edit: I'm not going to get to The Year of the Flood this year. I'm using it for a challenge for next quarter instead.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2147 comments Here are my choices which are still to be read for my You Choose challenge and fall into the Contemporary-Fiction category:

I Know This Much Is True
Lady Killer
The Guardian
Feed
A Prayer for Owen Meany

message 8: by J. Travis (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments No offense but general shelves like “contemporary fiction,” “favorites,” and “literature” (all three picks this year) do not encourage you “to expand your reading beyond your preferred genres”—the stated purpose of the group.

message 9: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments J. Travis wrote: "No offense but general shelves like “contemporary fiction,” “favorites,” and “literature” (all three picks this year) do not encourage you “to expand your reading beyond your preferred genres”—the ..."

Not necessarily. I tend to read a lot of fantasy, which really doesn't fit into what most people think of as "contemporary fiction" - even when it is written by a contemporary author. I had to click through quite a few pages of the shelf before I found something already on my TBR list. And so far, I've only found one book already on my YOU CHOOSE list still to be read that is shelved as contemporary fiction - and that only by one person. So it is going to stretch me a bit - or at least require me to make some changes to my plans.

message 10: by onarock (new)

onarock | 107 comments yes, many on my tbr list......i am interested in http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/93..., but i should finish http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52....

message 11: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Awesome! There are some I can check off my You Choose Challenge list from this shelf.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bridge of Sighs
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
The Book of Lost Things
The Year of the Flood
Paint It Black

Oh who am I kidding? I'll never read all of those, but they are all on my shelf waiting for me.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments well, I think I might try Firefly Lane, it has been on my tbr for a long time. But the month hasn't even started yet, I could still change my mind or add on to that.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
Natasha wrote: "I'll try reading:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Millennium 1 by Stieg Larsson
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk"

Natasha - I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and thought it was fantastic.

It does start a bit slow, but it picks up and ends quite well.

message 15: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Natasha that comment made me laugh, "The violence I don't mind"
I think you and I have violence over boredom in common :op
I can’t stand it when a book drags!

message 16: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Amy wrote: "Here are my choices which are still to be read for my You Choose challenge and fall into the Contemporary-Fiction category:

I Know This Much Is True
Lady Killer
[book:..."

Amy -- I hope you love Owen Meaney as much as I did. It left me wrecked by the end.

Slayermel wrote: "Natasha that comment made me laugh, "The violence I don't mind"
I think you and I have violence over boredom in common :op
I can’t stand it when a book drags!"

I am right there with you guys. A book that drags is the worst.

message 18: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Natasha wrote: "Lyn M wrote: Natasha - I just finished The Girl With T..."

I hope I like it. My mother in law said it starts off slow and is pretty violent. The violence I don't mind."

Dragon Tattoo has a LOT of financial/political stuff in it (as it focuses on Mikael's character), which a lot of people found boring. But the second one (Played with Fire) focuses more on Lisbeth so it has a lot less. I preferred DT but I know a lot of people who didn't so much care for DT but loved PwF.

message 19: by Karen (last edited Nov 23, 2010 08:11AM) (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) These five books are the ones left on my You Choose challenge so whichever ones I don't read this month I'll be reading next month.

Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
The Kindly Ones
Drood
The Meaning of Night: A Confession

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_grove) | 7 comments I think either Her Fearful Symmetry or Saturday.

message 21: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Natasha wrote: "The only book that made me cringe at the violence was American Psycho.

Yeah, I hate when books drag."

I'm with you 100% on that, all I have to say is "The hungry rat!" *shudder*

message 22: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Nov 21, 2010 05:36PM) (new)

Meghan wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Lyn M wrote: Natasha - I just finished The Girl With T..."

I hope I like it. My mother in law said it starts off slow and is pretty violent. The violence I don't mind."

Dragon..."

Exactly, Meghan, the financial and political stuff is what puts most people that I have talked to off. I was lucky, cuz that is my profession (finance) so it was all good for me.

message 23: by Diana (last edited Nov 23, 2010 01:50PM) (new)

message 24: by LynnB (last edited Dec 11, 2010 07:36AM) (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I'm not sure what I'll read during the month, but I know I plan to start with:

The Bean Trees(finished 12/9/10)
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (check - done 12/5)
Room (finished 12/10/10)

LynnB wrote: "I'm not sure what I'll read during the month, but I know I plan to start with:

The Bean Trees
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Room"

I have A Heartbreaking Work. I will be interested in what you think, as I haven't read it yet.

message 26: by Cam (new)

Cam I've decided I have too many books on the shelf here for whatever reason, I'm avoiding (they must have been attracive to me at some point) so I've decided that whatever shelf gets chosen, the first book that appears on that shelf that I have, but haven't read will be my read for the month & I'll see how many months I can keep that up without leap frogging any.
So that being said, the short version is, I will be reading The Road By Cormac McCarthy.

That is a great idea, Cam. I love it. I may have to try doing that in 2011. Let me know how you like The Road.

message 28: by Cam (last edited Nov 21, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

Cam No problems Lyn, will do.

message 29: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Cam that is a terrific Idea and if you don't mind I think I will do that as well to help me narrow down my giant Pile. *sigh*

So that being said, Thanks to Cam's terrific idea I will be reading *drum roll*
Middlesex

message 30: by Cam (last edited Nov 21, 2010 07:59PM) (new)

Cam The more the merrier Slayermel. We've both done fairly well this first time round, we've both pulled out Pulitzer Prize Winners!

message 31: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments That's awesome didn't even realize that, thanks for pointing it out Cam :0)

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments Awesome idea Cam. I had no clue how to narrow down the crazy long list of books I wanted to read from the Contemporary Fiction shelf, so I'm borrowing it too. Looks like I'll be reading High Fidelity and About a Boy by Nick Hornby. Hopefully they'll be good because they've been collecting dust on my shelf for some time now.

message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Along the same lines as taking the first one that pops up from your own tbr .... wouldn't it be fun (for the brave at heart)to have a challenge were someone else picks a book out of your tbr, no choices, just read this and review it for me! - for whatever reason.
I wonder how many would be interested in something like that?!?

message 34: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Sounds very fun, that would make a good challenge

message 36: by onarock (new)

onarock | 107 comments Debbie wrote: "Along the same lines as taking the first one that pops up from your own tbr .... wouldn't it be fun (for the brave at heart)to have a challenge were someone else picks a book out of your tbr, no ch..."

sounds good, and cam's idea is good as well, but i know i will have a hard time sticking to it; when i feel like shopping, i go to the library online and order tons of books.......so many books and not enuff time.......

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments I was thinking more along the lines of something you already have, so maybe not necessarily your tbr but an owned shelf or however you organize the ones you have but haven't read. (*sigh*) I have wayyyy to many of those myself.

onarock wrote: "sounds good, and cam's idea is good as well, but i know i will have a hard time sticking to it; when i feel like shopping, i go to the library online and order tons of books.......so many books and not enuff time.........."

message 38: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Debbie wrote: "Along the same lines as taking the first one that pops up from your own tbr .... wouldn't it be fun (for the brave at heart)to have a challenge were someone else picks a book out of your tbr, no ch..."

I would play that game. I stuck all the books on that shelf so it would be my own fault if I got "stuck" reading one of them!

We have done something similar in two of the other groups that I am in and it is really fun. In one, people sign up every two weeks, then you refer a book for each person on the list. One of the mods then gives each person a number, pulls numbers out of the hat, and assigns a book to each person based on the number they get. Example: I sign up and am number 3, so whoever on the list gets number 3 has to read the book I picked for them. If you want to play the next time, you have to read the book before the next sign up deadline.

In the other group, each member that wanted to participate picked 5 books for each other member participating. So I have 14 lists of 5 books each that people have picked off of my list. The challenge is that I have to read at least one book off of each list by the end of 2011.

message 40: by Meghan (new)

Meghan LynnB wrote: "I'm not sure what I'll read during the month, but I know I plan to start with:

The Bean Trees
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Room"

I'm just finishing up AHWoSG. I tried this almost a decade ago and hated it so it sat and it sat and it sat on my shelf. This year, I picked it up (for a personal challenge) and I'm very glad I did. He's got that snarky humor that can crack you up (or annoy you). Am looking forward to your comments.

message 41: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Pollyanna wrote: "My list:

High Fidelity
White Teeth
The Historian
The Girl Who Played with Fire
All the Pretty Horses"

I loved the Historian! I hope you do too. I've heard very good things about AtPH, although don't watch the movie.

message 42: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I just got A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius at the library -- and found that though it is on the Contemporary Fiction list, it's actually non-fiction! The author admits he put a bit of fiction in it, but it's mostly NF (but I'll read it anyway...)

message 43: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Lyn, are those groups here on GR, if so were? I would be interested in possibly participating, at least looking at the rules more closely to see if I understand them.

Lyn M wrote: "We have done something similar in two of the other groups that I am in and it is really fun. In one, people sign up every two weeks, then you refer a book for each person on the list. One of the ..."

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

finally I have a reason to read The Help by Kathryn Stockett

message 46: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 94 comments Meghan wrote: "Pollyanna wrote: "My list:

High Fidelity
White Teeth
The Historian
The Girl Who Played with Fire
All the Pretty Horses"

..."

I've had the Historian for ages and keep forgetting about it, I'm determined to read it now.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
Cam wrote: "I've decided I have too many books on the shelf here for whatever reason, I'm avoiding (they must have been attracive to me at some point) so I've decided that whatever shelf gets chosen, the first..."

That's a great idea, Cam.
Actually, The Road By Cormac McCarthy was the first one on the shelf that I haven't already read -- but I don't already own it, so haven't decided to put it on my list.
The first one that would make my list if I applied your rule would be The Poisonwood Bible.

I know I'm also going to read I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You for our faculty book club in December, and was surprised to find it's on the shelf as well.

I'll start with those two, and see what happens. I still have 3-4 I really wanted to read from Time
Travel that aren't on December's shelf. So I'll have to decide whether to move on and let them add to my TBR mountain.

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
Debbie wrote: "Along the same lines as taking the first one that pops up from your own tbr .... wouldn't it be fun (for the brave at heart)to have a challenge were someone else picks a book out of your tbr, no ch..."

I love it. I'd play that one -- or either of the versions Lyn M. described.

Do we have the ability to see each other's TBR lists?

There are tons of things sitting on my shelves at home that I haven't taken the trouble to add to my TBR list -- and if I count books that are actually my husband's which I probably would enjoy reading, the list would be huge. So if we went the way Debbie suggested in message 42, we'd somehow have to enter a bunch from our shelves at home before we could start. How would that work?

message 49: by Tara (last edited Dec 04, 2010 06:06PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am going to try and read Bloodroot and Room.

Also, I love Cam's idea. Often that is how I pick. I scan the list for a book I own and then try to read that. I also try to pick books that I have to read for other book clubs.

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Here is more of the idea .... you could name it anything you like as long as you tell whoever is picking for you which shelf to pull from. (TBR, owned, need to read).

The way my group that I was in before did it, it wasn't really structured as a monthly challenge. It was more about the reviews (tell me what you think of this book). When you were done with the first one, you posted the review and ask the next person to please pick from your "needs to be read" shelf, then told the person who was finished before you to "go read this and review it." Then the next person done with theirs told you to "go read that and review it".

Does that make sense? - I just don't want to step on any toes, if there is a similar challenge somewhere I would like to see the set up.

Susan wrote: "we'd somehow have to enter a bunch from our shelves at home before we could start. How would that work? ..."

« previous 1 3