The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.9 - Warm Up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Dec 11, 2010 04:43PM) (new)

Sandy | 16594 comments Mod
15.9 - Warm up
Read a book set in the American South or one written by an author considered a “Southern Author” (Faulkner, Welty, Walker Percy, etc.). The book should have a connection to the south. A biography or memoir of a Southern Author would also be acceptable.

The following lists may help you find Southern Authors, but, as always, please exercise judgment as lists are not always accurate.
Southern Authors
Southern Writers

This may help you identify the Southern states:
Census Bureau Map of U.S.Regions

message 2: by Sandy (new)

reserved

message 3: by Sandy (new)

reserved

message 4: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Would you consider Oklahoma to be part of the American South?

message 5: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments how about texas?

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Valorie wrote: "Would you consider Oklahoma to be part of the American South?"

kiki wrote: "how about texas?"

Yes. Here's a link to the official Census Bureau regions, showing the states in the 3 regions of the South.
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regd...

message 7: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Great Thanks!

message 8: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments anyone have any recommendations for books they have read and liked that would apply to this?

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 696 comments Manday wrote: "anyone have any recommendations for books they have read and liked that would apply to this?"

How about The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy?

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10998 comments Manday wrote: "anyone have any recommendations for books they have read and liked that would apply to this?"

I've really enjoyed all of Sarah Addison Allen's books. My favorite was The Sugar Queen followed by Garden Spells then The Girl Who Chased the Moon. They're all set in North Carolina.

message 11: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments I like Clyde Edgerton. Raney is especially funny. He's from North Carolina (Durham/Chapel Hill area)

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments I read Ellen Foster for this most recent challenge (I was bored subbing at the high school one day), and it was insanely good. Highly recommend it.

I'm using Bastard Out of Carolina, which I read almost ten years ago and enjoyed at the time (though, we'll see how it goes this time).

I had to read As I Lay Dying in tenth grade, and while I should probably reread it since my literary perceptions have changed since then, I dun wanna. Parts of it were funny because it was so terrible, though.

Wouldn't To Kill a Mockingbird or Uncle Tom's Cabin or Gone With the Wind count, too, since they're all set in the south?

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments i'm using Skinwalker which is set in LA, because its been recommended to me by lots of friends, but its more in the Urban Fantasy realm

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 672 comments Manday wrote: "anyone have any recommendations for books they have read and liked that would apply to this?"

Here are a couple of hidden gems:
Sins of the Seventh Sister and
The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
They may be a bit of a challenge to find, but they are worth it.

message 15: by Petra (new)

Petra Manday wrote: "anyone have any recommendations for books they have read and liked that would apply to this?"

I enjoyed Between, Georgia and Gods in Alabama, both by Joshilyn Jackson. I plan on reading another of her books, The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, for this task.
Maybe one of these sound good to you?

message 16: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I was going to read anything by Mark Twain if that's ok. Tom Sawyer?

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I am planning on reading The Widow of the South for this task. I keep meaning to read it, but it keeps getting pushed aside.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz I plan on reading Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier.
I also recommend books by Sarah Addison Allen - real fun, light reads.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Would The Notebook be acceptable for this task? From the descriptions I've seen, it looks like it's set in North Carolina...

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Kimifly wrote: "Would The Notebook be acceptable for this task? From the descriptions I've seen, it looks like it's set in North Carolina..."

The plot descriptions sure sound like it's set in NC, and the GR description refers to it as "southern fried," so I think it works fine.

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Petra wrote: "Manday wrote: "anyone have any recommendations for books they have read and liked that would apply to this?"

I enjoyed Between, Georgia and Gods in Alabama, both by J..."

I LOVED Gods in Alabama and can't wait to get my hands on Between, Georgia.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Kimifly wrote: "Would The Notebook be acceptable for this task? From the descriptions I've seen, it looks like it's set in North Carolina..."

Many of the Nicholas Sparks novels are set in North Carolina, as are many of Sarah Dessen books, for anyone who likes YA.

message 23: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I'm going to read a Sharyn McCrumbbook. The majority of her books are set in the South - her Ballad series is set along the areas around the Appalachian mountains.

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra Katie wrote: "I LOVED Gods in Alabama and can't wait to get my hands on Between, Georgia...."

I think you'll like it. I quite listened to both on audio, which were narrated by Jackson herself, and enjoyed both.

message 25: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i would like to read Because of Winn-Dixie for this. it's set in florida.

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Christine US wrote: "I'm going to read a Sharyn McCrumbbook. The majority of her books are set in the South - her Ballad series is set along the areas around the Appalachian mountains."

I think all of her books are, except a couple of the McPherson books that are set in the U.K. But she fits as a southern author, even if one were reading one of those books.

message 27: by Sandy (new)

kiki wrote: "i would like to read Because of Winn-Dixie for this. it's set in florida."

Florida is certainly part of the southeast, so you're good with this one.

message 28: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments thanks! :)

message 29: by Sandy (new)

FYI - I'm going to be away until Sunday, and will have limited computer access. I'll try to get on here and answer questions if possible, but can't promise anything.

Happy Thanksgiving!

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments this one sounds interesting and is set in Alabama - A Redbird Christmas - Fannie Flagg

message 31: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Would Kindred count? It's partly set in California, but a substanial amount of the book and one of the main themes has to do with slavery in the south.

message 32: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments So this is ANY book that takes place in the American South? Doesn't have to be historical?

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Joanna wrote: "Would Kindred count? It's partly set in California, but a substanial amount of the book and one of the main themes has to do with slavery in the south."

Kindred works because the important part, I think, is the part in the south. Plus, it's an awesome book!

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sara ♥ wrote: "So this is ANY book that takes place in the American South? Doesn't have to be historical?"

No, there's no historical requirement here.

message 35: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sorry if that seemed like a strange question. I guess the term "American South" just seems really... 1800s... to me... *shrugs* I'm going to read a historical novel anyway, of course. They've got a great selection of historical Texas Christian romance novels at the local library... (Gotta love living in the Bible Belt, eh? Nothing could make a Christian romance cheesier than setting it in 1850s Texas...)

message 36: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments thanks for all the ideas! For those of you who have read it, how religious is Gods in Alabama?

message 37: by Sara ♥ (last edited Nov 27, 2010 09:46PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Manday wrote: "thanks for all the ideas! For those of you who have read it, how religious is Gods in Alabama?"

I haven't read it, but if you look at the way people have shelved it: http://www.goodreads.com/book/shelves... ... None of the first 200 shelves (2 pages) are "christian" or "religious" or "faith"... So it must not be TOO religious, or people would categorize it as such.

message 38: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments Thanks Sara! I did look at the top ten shelves, but I still was not confident based on the book description and author bio.

message 39: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yeah, from the book description, I was surprised by the shelves. I looked at the rest of the shelves (5 pages worth), and only one even has the word "faith" in it... huh!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) This site lists some authors from Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. (scroll to bottom of the page)..... may help some one...

http://www.southernliterarytrail.org/...

message 41: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Would Libba Bray books work? She was born in Alabama and lived much of her life in Texas according to the Goodreads write-up. Do authors living in or born in a Southern State work?

message 42: by Sandy (last edited Dec 03, 2010 05:31AM) (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "Would Libba Bray books work? She was born in Alabama and lived much of her life in Texas according to the Goodreads write-up. Do authors living in or born in a Southern State work?"

Sorry for the delay in responding - things got a little crazy with the fall challenge ending and the winter challenge starting!

As far as I can see, while Libba Bray lived in the south, she doesn't seem to be a "southern author" - looks like she moved to NY as a young adult, writes there, and doesn't write books that are set in the south or have any "southern influence."

So, I don't think she works for this task. I've edited the task description to make this clearer (I hope!)

message 43: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments how religious is Gods in Alabama?

No, Manday, Gods in Alabama is not religious at all, one of the characters is, but not the book. It has been awhile since i read it, but the "gods" are Bear Bryant and something else, racism maybe, can't remember exactly. It is a chick lit book, better than most (I'm not a big chick lit fan). the Goodreads description is pretty good without ruining the story.
there are much better Southern books - I recommend to you Eudora Welty, Mark Childress, and Big Fish (if you like magical realism). One of truest Southern books I have read recently was Lamb in His Bosom which is an old almost forgotten Pulitzer Prize winner. The older Pulitzer fiction list is a great place to mine for great southern wirters.

message 44: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I read Gods in Alabama during the summer and I agree it's not a religious book. I hate chicklit but enjoyed this book as it isn't one of those light and fluffy romance things-it dealt with racism and dark family secrets that start coming to light. A good read.

message 45: by Brenda (new)

Brenda G | 66 comments Kathryn - thanks for this post "I am planning on reading The Widow of the South for this task. I keep meaning to read it, but it keeps getting pushed aside." I was looking through this tread specifically looking for this book. I read it several years ago while staying at my sister's in Alabama, loved it, and wanted to read it again, but couldn't remember the title.

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Brenda wrote: "Kathryn - thanks for this post "I am planning on reading The Widow of the South for this task. I keep meaning to read it, but it keeps getting pushed aside." I was looking through this tread speci..."

Glad I could be of assistance.

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Tanja wrote: "I was going to read anything by Mark Twain if that's ok. Tom Sawyer?"

I'm sorry, just realized that there was a question here, not just a comment.

Mark twain works - he's generally considered a southern author.

message 48: by Liz (new)

Liz Would something from the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris work for this task? Otherwise, I may read Cold Sassy Tree.

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Liz wrote: "Would something from the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris work for this task? Otherwise, I may read Cold Sassy Tree."

yes. She's southern and her books pretty much take place in Louisiana.

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) | 51 comments Would a "humor" book such as Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments written by Celia Rivenbark - who is from NC - be okay? Or does it need to be an actual novel?

« previous 1