The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.1 - Short and Sweet

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 19, 2010 09:13PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments 5.1 -- Short and Sweet
December 21st is the Winter Solstice and the shortest day of the year. February is also the shortest month of the year. Read the shortest book on your TBR shelf. As per challenge rules, you must read an entire book (i.e., individual short stories, novellas, and excepts will not work) of at least 100 pages (or 500 children’s picture book pages).

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments placeholder

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments placeholder

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments For the TBR Shelf, can I use my TBR-Own Shelf? It lists all the physical books I own that I haven't read yet. I'd like to finish that first before buying more books that I may have listed on my TBR as a reminder for when the own shelf is done.

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments Tanja wrote: "For the TBR Shelf, can I use my TBR-Own Shelf? It lists all the physical books I own that I haven't read yet. I'd like to finish that first before buying more books that I may have listed on my TBR..."

Yes, that works. I have a few different TBR shelves myself ;o).

chucklesthescot These are the lowest paged books on my shelf but I wasn't sure whether to use them as they are basically kids books. Should I use one of these?

Monsters,Inc.: Novelization: Novelisation
The Berenstain Bear Scouts Meet Bigpaw

or go with the first 'adult' book with low pages which is

Henry VIII

message 7: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! Thanks Kristi!

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Some of the books on my list have "unknown" for the number of pages when I sort them. I suppose I should skip those entirely and just go with the first 100+ page book with an actual number in that column, right?

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ms Anderson, click the book and then check the editions (paperback/hardcover). I had a number with unknown pages and discovered the link was to the e-book or CD.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Ah, good point. I went back and checked, and my shortest 100+ page book is still the one that's 103 pages. Thanks ^_^

message 11: by Jennifer N. (last edited Nov 20, 2010 01:05PM) (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments I only have one to read list so can I use the first book longer than 100 pages that I can get my hands on. The first book I have listed: Jealousy (103 pages) is one I don't own. The second on my tbr list is A Christmas Carol with 104 pages. Could I use that one?

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "These are the lowest paged books on my shelf but I wasn't sure whether to use them as they are basically kids books. Should I use one of these?

[book:Monsters,Inc.: Novelization: Novelisation|9104..."

Since many of us have different TBR shelves, I'll leave it up to you as to whether you want to read the shortest book on your "kids shelf" or your "adult shelf."

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "I only have one to read list so can I use the first book longer than 100 pages that I can get my hands on. The first book I have listed: Jealousy (103 pages) is one I don't own. The s..."

Yes, you can use the shortest one you actually own.

message 14: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I have 1400+ books on my To-read shelf. how do I sort them by page size?

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments Christine US wrote: "I have 1400+ books on my To-read shelf. how do I sort them by page size?"

On your "my books" page, you should see a column labeled "num pages" at the top (if you don't, click on shelf settings and put a check mark in the box before "num pages"). If you click on "num pages," it'll sort your books by page numbers. One click will sort them from least number of pages to most. Click again and it'll sort them from largest page count to shortest.

message 16: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "These are the lowest paged books on my shelf but I wasn't sure whether to use them as they are basically kids books. Should I use one of these?

[book:Monsters,Inc.: Noveliz..."

Thank you!

message 17: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments will you accept a play? i've got Jacques and His Master: An Homage to Diderot in Three Acts, which comes in at 103. i've got another if that doesn't work, but i'd love to read this one! thanks! :)

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments kiki wrote: "will you accept a play? i've got Jacques and His Master: An Homage to Diderot in Three Acts, which comes in at 103. i've got another if that doesn't work, but i'd love to read this o..."

Sure. Any kind of book (fiction, non-fiction, play, poetry) will work as long as it adheres to the challenge rules of at least 100 pages (or 500 children’s picture book pages).

message 19: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments yeay, thanks! :)

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 696 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Christine US wrote: "I have 1400+ books on my To-read shelf. how do I sort them by page size?"

On your "my books" page, you should see a column labeled "num pages" at the top (if you don't, click..."

You saved me a lot of time! Thanks!!

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments Patricia wrote: "Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "On your "my books" page, you should see a column labeled "nu..." You saved me a lot of time! Thanks!!

No problem! ;o)

message 22: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Ok, quick question. It states no novellas. However, the shortest book on my TBR (where I believe the page numbers at least) is The Christmas Lamp: A Novella which is 128 pages. It is a stand-a-lone book, but it states it is a novella which means I can't read it?

Thanks,
Rachel

message 23: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Good question, Rachel. I guess I need a definition of "novella" as my shortest book is around 150 pages too.

message 24: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 30, 2010 08:10PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments As long as the novella is over 100 pages and in a book format all on its own, it'll work. What I intended to exclude there was individual novellas in a collection of novellas. For example, JD Robb has one of her "In Death" novellas in Out of this World. It's slightly over 100 pages. But, you couldn't just read JD Robb's story for this task without reading the other 3 author's stories because the challenge rules forbid partial reading of books. Does that make more sense?

message 25: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks, Kristi, for clarifying.