Gardener's Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 4,749 (4749 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 94 95

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Use this for daily chit chat about our garden lives as well as our non-garden lives. What are you plans for today, what did you do yesterday, what are you doing tomorrow?

message 2: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Experiencing a dud week-end mostly due to very bad weather. A coating of ice on everything making it very dangerous to drive. Have spent today reading and trying to work on a quilt, but am having some problems with my machine. Oh yah and my football team got thumped at home so all in all it's been kind of a downer day. We've seen the sun for about 8 hours in the past 2 weeks. Typical November in Minnesota!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Jeepers! Hope your week is better than your weekend Cheryl!

Yesterday we took a bus trip w/members of our American Legion Post for the day down to south Jersey. I didn't really want to go, I wanted to stay in bed, read & watch cooking shows all day lol! But Hubbs wanted to go and he humors me often w/places I want to go - it was a good time overall. Today was a lazy morning followed by a somewhat hellacious trip to the super market for our weekly & Thanksgiving shopping followed by an afternoon @ home, Hubbs doing laundry & cleaning the yard, me cleaning out & cleaning the fridge. And doing a little reading! About to make chicken marsala for dinner.

message 4: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Thanks, Jo, me too.

I had my kids over for lasagna last Sun night and we planned our Thanksgiving. We are nontraditional when it comes to the meal--we don't have turkey! None of us like it. So every year we come up with something different and this year we're doing a rolled stuffed beef tenderloin. My youngest daughter is a culinary arts grad and she loves to make special food for the fam. We do have mashed potatos and stuffing, veg, pie etc.

I watch cooking shows too and they do give me some great ideas. Cooking for one is boring and can also be wasteful, so I'm constantly trying to find something new and interesting to make that either freezes well or doesn't make an amount to feed an army.

message 5: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Changed the water just now for my coconut and it has a tail! Looks like (fingers crossed) it is germinating.

Someone is threatening me with a new project tomorrow so that fine.

Most of you beautiful folks are in the US and hope your Thanksgiving celebration plans, getting away from us wicked Brits :) go smoothly...
Pip pip!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks Harvey!

I was going to start baking today for Thanksgiving but it seems to be unseasonably warm so I may wait until Wednesday (which is my usual tradition anyhow).

Sounds like a great tradition for you and your family Cheryl!!!

message 7: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Having something different every year is fun and the grandkids are now old enough to express their preferences which I like.

29 degrees with lite snow/freezing drizzle today, roads are still terrible. Tomorrow is supposed to be better. I'm worried about my oldest daughter who drives 40 miles one way to school every day.

Congrats on the sprout, Harvey!

Found my recipe for pecan pie, ordered the meat for the feast, washed clothes and did a little cleaning this AM. Now I have to do battle with my sewing machine this aftn and figure out why it insists on skipping stiches and messing up the quilt I'm making my grandson for Christmas. I wouldn't be so irritated, but I just had it reconditioned and it should be working perfectly.

message 8: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments God bless you all!

Thanks and love the comments........ Just sick of the 'puter screen for one day! Still love you.....

Have an early... very early... unnaturally early start tommorrow! LOL

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I haven't been overly productive today. One of those days, lol!

message 10: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I'm having a lazy day too. Did do the shopping for Thanksgiving. The grocery store was wild. We have a storm perdicted for tomorrow so I guess everyone was doing their shopping today. It was 8 degrees here this AM, hard to believe it was in the 60s two weeks ago.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) And we're having such warm weather the cherry blossom flowers have popped open on trees here! (shaking head) I did the last of my shopping today for Thanksgiving and am Very glad I don't have to leave the house until this coming weekend unless I want to! (And it won't be to go to a super market or retail store!)

message 12: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments LOL, Jo. I've never gotten into the Black Friday madness. A bunch of my former co-workers go to the Mall of America every year and battle the crowds, stay over night and do it a second day. Just not my cup of tea.

The cherry blossom thing is nuts! After the snow we have perdicted for this aftn and eve our temps are supposed to bottom out and wind chill will be minus 20 in the AM. I think my fam might forego our traditional work off the calories Thanksgiving walk. For sure we'll watch the parade and the dog show, then eat and probably play games. Whatever, it will be fun!

message 13: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Have fun everybody for Thanksgiving! Tomorrow is the last day of the working week here... for sure no Malls for us on the weekend! One bit of goodz news; I started a new job on Tuesday and have discovered that the garden around my office has greenhouses too... Another place to spread some seed!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'd probably forgo the walk too Cheryl, LOL!

Congrats Harvey on the new job!!!

The pie is baked, the sweet potato's are done, the shrimp dip is done and the turnips are soon to be done... Everything smells so good, I'm starving, loL!

message 15: by Harvey (last edited Nov 25, 2010 04:07AM) (new)

Harvey | 252 comments You are making me feel hungry too Jo! :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) :-)

We are now stuffed & sleepy! Everything was very yummy if I do say so myself!

message 17: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments I'm sure it was... when my better half got home had a quick meal of home-made (by me) designer chicken burgers and chips (I guess thats fries for US). Needed something qick and easy before going out.
Made the burgers last weekend for a BBQ and froze the rest for such an eventuality. Worked out well! :)

message 18: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Everyone's food sounds good, but somehow I'm not very hungery today. When we were all telling what we are thankful for yesterday my 11 yr old grandson's thanks were my favorite. He said he was thankful for his family and Mountain Dew!

Had a little incident the day before T-giving and took a fall on the ice at my daughter's house. Nothing broken---including the groceries I was carrying---but my right shoulder is very unhappy. I had a heck of a time making pie yesterday, looked a little funny, but tasted fine. So now I'm babying my arm and being bored on the theory if I let it rest for a couple days it will be fine.

message 19: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Salemtek habibi!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Hope you feel better soon Cheryl! Don't hesitate to go to the doctor if it's not better by next week.

I cleaned out/off the entertainment center yesterday so we can re-arrange the livingroom furniture today, I almost fully decorated the livingroom windows for Christmas yesterday too. Today we hit Walmart early (wasn't too busy nor a lot of traffic), then headed to our American Legion/VFW Post so I could update the electronic sign w/December's event. Soon we'll be re-arranging furniture & having leftovers for dinner.

message 21: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Harvey--thanks--I think.

Been laying low this week-end, reading, watching TV etc and sending healing rays to my shoulder. It does seem a little better.

Have a very busy week ahead so need to be in top form.

message 22: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Forgot to mention I saw "Love and Other Drugs" this week-end. Great movie if you are not offended by more than the average share of nudity. After being in the medical profession for over 40 yrs I'm kind of immune and didn't let it stop me from enjoying a very good story.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) What a job that livingroom was! But everything's re-arranged, cleaned and items put away. Looks great, we're both happy w/it. I watched a great. old Betty Davis movie this morning, The Nanny, on TCM. Then I was the Star Wars marathon (well, sort of, I was still putting the livingroom back together most of the afternoon while it was on). I'm not feeling too well, but that's nothing new for me. Calling the doctor's office in the am to see if he wants me to start another round of antibiotics. Par of the course that is my life! I try to take it in stride though after all I've been through since July, it's getting harder to grin & bear it lately. I've got to finish Love In The Time of Cholera for the evening bookclub on Thurs so tomorrow, in addition to resting, I'll be madly reading it in hopes of making head way before it bores me to sleep. (As what happened most of the time with 100 Years Of Solitude).

message 24: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Rearranging is exhausting! Hope you are feeling better, it's difficult to stay positive when you are continually being bombarded by not feeling well.

Been a busy week, lots of hockey, a fun Christmas pot luck with my garden club and tomorrow night is the surprise birthday party for my oldest daughter. Has been exhausting trying to keep it a secret. I'll be home tonight for the first time all week and intend to veg after I do a bunch of running around today. More snow is expected starting this aftn so want to get things done before the roads get bad again.

message 25: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Snowing heavily at the moment, but since it is 14 degrees it is of the light fluffy variety not the heavy, wet, miserable to shovel stuff we have had so far this year. Got a nice wreath for out front today and will put out a few other outdoor decorations tomorrow. Have a little decorating to finish inside as well. Next week plan to get serious about the shopping and start writing cards. I'm trying to savor the season as it seems to go by so fast.

Put my grandaughter on the bus for the Canadian border this AM where her team will play hockey tournaments this week-end. Hopefully she will get back in time for part of her mom's birthday bash tomorrow night.

Tomorrow the local Methodist Church has their annual Christmas craft and bake sale, an event not to be missed. I usually get some of my Christmas shopping done there.

message 26: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Cheryl S. wrote: "Harvey--thanks--I think.

..."

LOL.... Its OK; I was not insulting you, just said 'peace dearest' to be 'literal' but a phrase often said in a get well soon context... x

message 27: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Harvey--thank you for sure and I am doing better. No full range of motion yet, but I'm getting there.

Off to a Christmas concert at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis tomorrow and then my grandaughter's school choir concert the following evening. Don't know which one I will enjoy more!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I've been purging & cleaning as I nurse this darn upper respiratory infection (which is now trying to go into a sinus infection) but getting a lot done around the house which makes me feel good!

message 29: by NancyL (new)

NancyL Luckey I've been using this cold weather to clean, also. I'm going thru my study and getting my papers organized or tossed. It's taking awhile.

message 30: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Baby Toms at last! Brandywine yellow and cherry toms... also baby courgettes! (Zucchini for our American cousins! ). Due to work and the social scene at this time of year I have really been a midnight gardener watering them but not getting a good look at them till today being our weekend. Looking forward to the taste!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Yellow toms are my favorite! I love reading about those gardens in a totally different stage than mine at this time of year!

message 32: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments As I'm sitting here watching snow fly outside I love hearing about someone anticipating their first taste of fresh garden produce!!

We're in the midst of our third snowstorm of the year. This one is really nasty as there is a lot of wind and drifting and then the temps are going to drop below zero and stay there. Oh joy!

Am about half done shopping, was going to assist with cookie baking at my daughter's house today, but the roads are too bad to go out, so have cleaned a couple cupboards and sorted a bunch of books for keep, swap or donate. Much better for my waistline.

message 33: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments We really lucked out with the storm and only got about 9 inches here, nothing like the 17 in the Twin Cities which is only 50 miles from here. However, the cold has hit us full blast--minus 3 here this AM with -21 wind chill. My fave! My cats are plastered to the heat registers. Hard to believe it is not officially winter yet when I look out my window.

The Metrodome football stadium in the Twin Cities has collapsed under the weight of the snow and the Viking game has been rescheduled until tomorrow night and as of the moment no one knows where it will be played. The opposing team is stranded in Kansas City as our airport was closed.

Did get started on my cards yesterday and will do more today.

message 34: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments The gifts I have are wrapped, cards almost done. Tomorrow I'll finish the cards, get my grocery list together for a big shopping next week. Probably make my Christmas fudge tomorrow. Went shopping on Thurs. but was unable to finish due to 0 ideas of what to do for my oldest daughter. I'm waiting for inspiration. Since this is my first Christmas since retirement I'm not used to having so much time to spend getting ready for the holidays and am finding I enjoy this leisurely pace. Hockey games to attend on both Sat and Sun and then a family gathering later on Sun aftn. Looking forward to all of it.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Had a scare w/kitty who collapsed yesterday but he's doing much better and is on antibiotics & steriod to correct severe anemia (happens when he gets sick) - looked like it was something much more... Well he scared me so bad I thought he was... Anyhow my kidney & liver function tests came back normal - I'll have them checked next week again (every 4 weeks indefinitely) so that's a relief too! We may get our 1st big snow this weekend! Can't wait. Hubbs last day @ work was today (he gets seasonally laid off for the next 8 weeks) so I can start hiking again since he can come w/me. (Too risky for me physically to go alone as if yet). Hopefully I'll have a chance to get on here this weekend, it's been a busy week!

message 36: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Glad to hear everyone is more or less okay. Cheryl, take care of that shoulder- I still have trouble with mine, and always will, from a fall eight years ago.

Jo, take care of those infections, and give kitty a hug for me. So sad when they are sick.

Harvey, don't party too much! Take time to take care of yourself!

As you have probably figured out by my lack of communication, I go into a real funk in the fall, and am not able to motivate myself for much of anything. I have managed to do some purging/ organizing around the house, but not a lot else. Hide in books and sudoku puzzles for the most part, at this time of year. Still no job leads in spite of a couple of interviews. Overqualified for most positions, not connected enough for the others. I am starting to get scared.
Miriam

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm getting better, finally (I hope!) and kitty is definitely getting better, thank goodness! Thanks Miriam!

I'm so sorry Miriam! I know you're discouraged but keep sending out those resumes and think outside the box when it comes to finding a job; my husband used Craig's List, put his resume on job sites, constantly looked at the local newspapers and their web sites for ads, checked the bulletin boards at the supermarket and post office...

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Today is operation knit & clean! Have to finish a scarf for a present and clean the house as I've got two longtime best friends coming over tomorrow for our annual Christmas get together! Busy, busy, busy!

message 39: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Jo, so glad you and kitty are better, you are starting to sound like your old self---busy, busy, busy!!

Miriam, it has to be tough looking for a job and not connecting. Hopefully things will look up in the new year. I'm sending you positive thoughts and wishing you the best.

My shoulder has improved to the degree I was able to hang my new shower curtain today, now I only have trouble at night, for some reason it's worse when I lay down.

Just finished cleaning the house and will make a couple of appetizers, one sauce and one dressing tonight so I won't have so much food prep to do tomorrow. We fondue on Christmas Eve and everyone contributes which makes it more fun and less work. On Christmas morning I do a brunch for my family and it is quite a bit of work, but I love doing it. I can do some of the work for that ahead of time too so I can actually sit down and enjoy the meal.

I'm done shopping, didn't get the quilt for my grandson done (shoulder), but not an issue because he didn't know about it ahead of time. Couple little things to wrap and a tin of fudge to deliver to the neighbors and then I'm ready!!

message 40: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Cheryl, torn rotator cuffs hurt worse when lying on either side- the injured and the uninjured. I still have to spend most of the night flat on my back because of my shoulder. Sometimes a stack of pillows to support the injured arm when lying on the uninjured helps.

Thanks for all the support!
Miriam

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thank you Cheryl, it's comforting to know I'm sounding like my old self, truly comforting!

Merry & Happy everyone!

message 42: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Well it's all over in a flash. Gifts unwrapped, everyone fed a couple of times, a surprise visit from someone special from the past and probably a couple of extra pounds gained in the last two days. Oh well, it only comes once a year and it was great fun. After brunch this AM spent a quiet afternoon listening to my new CDs, quilting and watching snow flurries outside my window. Now it's time to find a Christmas movie to watch and have some popcorn. Happy Chirstmas Night.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks Kelly Jo!

Cheryl, that sounds so lovely!

This is our first day of not having to do any kind of snow removal after we were HAMMERED by the day after Christmas Blizzard. 3 feet of snow here locally, drifts 2, 3 and 4 times that height in places! A very scary storm indeed. I haven't seen anything like that here in YEARS!

message 44: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Jo, I thought of you when I saw that Better Homes and Gardens has a calender for organizing/ purging this next year. Each month takes a different area. Kelly, it might help prepare for your move too! It is on their website.

I was able to clean out a lot of clutter when I moved to this house nine years ago, but since then my aunt died, my cousin moved in, then he died, so I am purging again! I didn't have time to make decisions about what I would keep when my aunt died, and now, several years later, there is a lot that has just sat in drawers taking up space.

Today I went through kitchen drawers and cabinets, cleaning them in and out while I was at it. Got about half done- the worst half. Have several boxes of things for Goodwill.

Hope everyone stays safe tonight- lots of drunks on the road so be careful! I stay home, or have stayed overnight with friends in the past, to avoid driving on New Years. Stay safe!

message 45: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Kelly Jo wrote: "Miriam - I hope you're feeling better!

Jo - awesome that you're on the rebound and back to those things you enjoy!

Cheryl - it sure does go away in a blink, especially after all the effort ..."

What a thoughtful little girl, give her an extra hug.

message 46: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Jo wrote: "Thanks Kelly Jo!

Cheryl, that sounds so lovely!

This is our first day of not having to do any kind of snow removal after we were HAMMERED by the day after Christmas Blizzard. 3 feet of sno..."

From reports on TV I thought you might be right in the thick of it. What a winter blast!!

message 47: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Rained all day yesterday--2 inches, then froze last night and mist and sleet off and on today. The roads are horrid. I'm stayin home tonight and I think a lot of people are as there is very little traffic by my house and I live on the main street.

I've been kind of lazing around, quilting and reading, talking to friends on the phone. Everyone is kind of cooped up with the weather, but sometimes it's nice to just let the world go by. Monday will come soon enough to get back to the job list.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) It was (and still is!) and experience Cheryl!

message 49: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments On the MSN home page there is a video of a little dancing penquin that just has to make you smile even if you are buried in the snow.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'll take a look, sounds cute! We may get snow again this weekend so Hubby has to fix (rig) the snow blower which broke several times through this dig-out until we get the part next week to be on the safe side in case it turns into another doozey of a storm. (When they say they have to watch it, it makes me nervous, lol!)

Had a great day with Hubbs & Mom yesterday. We ran her over to the mall for what was thankfully a quick trip (I loathe the mall; haven't inside one in 6 years!) Went to Barnes & Noble then brought her back home with us for dinner (bbq chicken legs - it got up to 51* and was humid as anything) then spent time after dinner showing her my photo's on the laptop.

Today Mom & I went bargain hunting. (Found a few things). Tomorrow is operation shred & file!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 94 95