James Patterson Book Club discussion

New to his books and I have a question.

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Baxter (new)

Baxter | 7 comments My girlfriend recently began reading James Patterson, he isn't a very good writer, but his stories are interesting. The the thing that bothers us most about his books is the product placement. Why do we need to know the brand of jacket a certain character is wearing? I did some research and saw he has an advertising background, does he get paid to put these product placements in? If someone could fill us in, it would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Wow, Baxter, I've read pretty much all his books and I've never noticed that before, I shall be on the look out from now on.

message 3: by Baxter (new)

Baxter | 7 comments It's fairly rampant throughout his first two books of the Women's Murder Club Series, he rattled off ALL of the Celestial Seasons tea bags, designer labels and food brands. Have a look.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Interesting. You wonder why though, he sells millions of books!

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 47 comments Wow! I never did notice the product placement. Or if I did, I didn't put any thought into it. Maybe to inform us what class of socio-economic people his characters are? I just don't know.

message 6: by Baxter (new)

Baxter | 7 comments I thought that at first too, but it goes well beyond developing the character. I am wondering if he is getting money for putting these products into his books.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 47 comments Well...he does have his own website. You think he would answer that question? Wouldn't hurt, I suppose.

message 8: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Bixler (goodreadscomgabixler) | 1 comments First of all...I think you are wrong about his writing...and apparently a lot of others do too, given his success with books and movies. When he doubles up with another writer, I believe they are less than excellent, but I also believe he is using his reputation to help young writers, and I totally approve of that...

Secondly, why would he use brand names? Because he writes for the generation we are in! Most people today go by brands...can't be just my opinion...look at sales. Personally I have no problem with this, given that it is ordinary everyday language anywhere in the U.S... even if I never did buy brand names, I would recognize an Armani or whatever...and be able to better relate to this writing to understand the character...

Just my opinion...

message 9: by Baxter (new)

Baxter | 7 comments I disagree, the brand names have nothing to do with enriching the story. At times, you are right, it's fine to drop a brand name but he does it in excess.

Also, just because he is a popular writer does not mean he is a good writer.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 34 comments Mod
I too have never noticed it before. Other writers I have read do that as well, obviously it was more noticeable with other writers for me. I don't know if they are compensated maybe they are just trying to be descriptive?? I hate that you don't enjoy his writing Baxter, as I often recommend his books and created this group! :) Maybe you just don't enjoy the Women's Murder Club? Try the Cross series. I know a few guys that have read them and really enjoyed them.

message 11: by Baxter (new)

Baxter | 7 comments I enjoy the stories, but his writing seems very amateurish. He's not good technically, and the product placements really get to me in his books. I see how the people of this group enjoy his books, I was just wondering if this was blatantly obvious to anyone else and if there was a reason for this. I guess I'll have to ask the man himself.

message 12: by susie (new)

susie | 2 comments I have read many of his books and never noticed the brand names. If they are there it did not enter my mind in any degree. Sorry to hear this is bothering you so.

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I've read all of his books and I haven't noticed product placement. I guess I was too involved with the stories to even care.

I think Patterson is a brilliant author. I find he has the power to grab you in the first chapter of the book and you just can't put it down until you are done. I have lost sleep because I wanted to keep reading! :D

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 34 comments Mod
Everyone is entitled to their opinion in this group, so I want to make sure nothing gets personal in this forum. Baxter, you are probably right that some authors that are popular are not necessarily great writers however I would pose this question to you...then what makes them so popular? And I would pose this question also...does your dislike of an author automatically make them a bad one? Just playing devil's advocate.

message 15: by Baxter (new)

Baxter | 7 comments He's probably so popular because it's easy quick reading. Nothing profound, but enjoyable which is fine. I enjoy fluff reading, his stories are good and interesting. I like the stories, but I can't stand the way he writes. My main issue is if he sells himself to these companies to mention them in his books or if he does this purely on his own. If he just does it on his own it just shows the lack of professionalism in his writing.

message 16: by Joe (new)

Joe Golden | 19 comments The way he writes is for readers on the go.If you've ever noticed none of his chapters or over 4 pages long. He could easyly group a bunck of them together but he chooses to give you a little cliffhanger more often than not.I like that.If your busy you can usuley start and stop at a chapter without having to neglect whatever it is you need to be doing.

message 17: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I love that about his books, Joe. You can easy squeeze in some in commercial breaks, et cetera, and I also think if I were to get my partner to read them he'd enjoy them for that reason, he's not much of a reader but I'm always there to suggest he start with JPs books.

message 18: by Joe (new)

Joe Golden | 19 comments James Patterson never leaves you bogged down.

message 19: by Baxter (new)

Baxter | 7 comments James Patterson leaves you bogged down in unnecessary product placements.

message 20: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I don't ever feel bogged down.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

There's no way they're not fully paid product placements. In 'Cross' he dedicated a whole chapter to the Mercedes R350. This has nothing to do with the plot. Is not mentioned anywhere else. But is purely a commercial break in the middle of a novel. Coincidentally both he and his wife drive matching blue Mercedes...
It's detailed better than I could put it here: https://www.cars.com/articles/2006/11...
Anyway, personally, I read books to escape being bombarded with adverts - so to find James Patterson including them in his novels has guaranteed I won't be buying one of his again.