Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 BR & Challenges > Dickens in December

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I was planning a "Dickens in December" celebration of all things Charles Dickens for next month. I am going to read some of his work that I haven't got to yet and a couple of other titles about him (sort of). So far I have collected "A Christmas Carol, the Chimes and the Cricket on the Hearth" and "The Last Dickens" and "The Detective and Mr. Dickens".

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I have A Christmas Carol/The Chimes/The Cricket on the Hearth and plan to finally finish reading A Christmas Carol this season! I'm going to start shortly as I always seem to get a late start with it.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Jo wrote: "I have A Christmas Carol/The Chimes/The Cricket on the Hearth and plan to finally finish reading A Christmas Carol this season! I'm going to start shortly as I always seem to get a la..."

Oh, yes, it's easy to get delayed and distracted at Christmas!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Do you have a favorite movie version of A Christmas Carol? Mine is the one with Alistair Sim from 1951, my husband's is the 1938 version.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Oh, I know there's an old b & w one that used to come on tv every year but don't know which it was. When I was a girl I thought it was so scary! I love the story so much I've never seen a version I didn't like at all. I have one I found in a thrift store the other day that I'm saving up for December, it's the one with George C. Scott. I think I even saw one with Jean Luc Picard as Scrooge. (Star Trek captain-ashamed to say don't even know his real name)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I never saw the one with Patrick Stewart from Star Trek but I imagine he's great as Scrooge! I wished I could've seen him do it on Broadway. I like the George C Scott version too, I have it on video some place.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Has anyone started reading? Anyone starting with A Christmas Carol?

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Oh, yes, Jo! I'm finishing up Great Expectations (I admitt, I started pre-December 1) and have been thumbing through My two little Dickens-Christmas books to decide what to read first. Want to read a Christmas carol together?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sure! I'm determined to finish A Christmas Carol this year and maybe reading it with someone will motivate me to stick with it!

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Yay! When would you like to start reading A Christmas Carol? I think I'm going to read each of my December books one per day and rotate. I honestly can't remember if I've ever actually read it, sometimes seeing the movies make me think I have.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) How about on Monday? (12/6)

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) ok!

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I'm so ready to read some more Dickens, I just finished Great Expectations and wrote the most gushing review ever. I can't believe I almost quit because the middle was boring. It was ROCK AND ROLL at the end! Most excellent ending indeed.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) lol Glad you liked it! I haven't read it but have that and A Tale Of Two Cities on the bedroom shelf.

I'm starting A Christmas Carol (again!) in a few minutes.

message 15: by Leslie (last edited Dec 06, 2010 05:57AM) (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Jo wrote: "lol Glad you liked it! I haven't read it but have that and A Tale Of Two Cities on the bedroom shelf.

I'm starting A Christmas Carol (again!) in a few minutes."

Just be warned, Great EXpectations is a little slow in the middle but very rewarding in the entire last half. So many surprises. I will always love A Tale of Two Cities, maybe because it was my first Dickens. I know some cerebral super intelligent people have jumped on the Two Cities is overrated bandwagon, but I really don't agree. Maybe they think so 'cos it's so short. I like long novels as well as the next guy, but more often then not, I finish them thinking had I been the editor I could have trimmed a couple hundred pages off it easily. Especially books that started out as serials in newspapers and magazines. I read the Christmas Carol last night for the first time in years and enjoyed it so much more than I expected. I weep with Scrooge, hang my head in shame with him, my knees knock in the same fearful rhythym as his and I finally exult with him over the reprieve and wonder of the Christmas morning he finds when he wakes. A very nice story, I see why we all still love it after all these years.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I love Dickens' descriptions! They really set the mood & bring you into the Christmas time of this story! And how dark things are w/Scrooge and how much lighter they are with Cratchet.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 269 comments I won a copy of the Christmas Carol here on Goodreads, and started reading it yesterday. You're right about his descriptions, Jo. I can't believe I haven't read it before!

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) A Christmas Carol put me in such a festive mood. I'm digging out my Christmas gear.
Dickens in December begins.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 269 comments Wow, Leslie, you really are ready! I should post a picture of mine, too. It's beautiful!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Leslie, your photo's are so pretty!

Emily, I read up to the Ghost of Christmas Present last night & wanted to read more but couldn't keep my eyes open! I love a story that really draws me into it and has me seeing it in my mind's eye and this is one of those stories!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) And I've been decorating for Christmas too, watching A Christmas Carol (w/Allstair Sim 1951) and reading this has added to my festiveness! A ghost story for Christmas, love it!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) And Leslie, you have the same copy of the book as I do! Are you planning on reading the other stories in it as well?

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 269 comments I'm not as far as you, Jo. I just got to the ghost of Christmas past. The wording is so descriptive and uses older language than I'm used to reading, so it's slow going for me. Sorry.

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Jo wrote: "And Leslie, you have the same copy of the book as I do! Are you planning on reading the other stories in it as well?"

Oh yes. I just started THE CHIMES. It's so cute. I thought I'd read a couple of pages last night to put me to sleep but the little man was so cute it woke me up to find out what would happen to him. Then I'll read the last one, CRICKET ON THE HEARTH. Next I have one more Dickens Christmas book that has those two but one more, I forget what it was. I'm also reading The Last Dickens. Which is excellent so far. I don't know what I'll read next. I have a copy of David Copperfield and a dusty old book store find: Detective and Mr. Dickens.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Emily wrote: "I'm not as far as you, Jo. I just got to the ghost of Christmas past. The wording is so descriptive and uses older language than I'm used to reading, so it's slow going for me. Sorry."

Hey, Emily it's Christmas, you're bound to be busy. If it's not enjoyable, don't punish yourself, put it away for some other year and grap yourself something that works Christmas magic for YOU!

message 26: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Dickens wrote a bunch of other Christmas stories:
1846 The Battle of Life
1848 The Haunted Man
1850 A Christmas Tree
# 1851 What Christmas is as We Grow Older
# 1852 The Poor Relation’s Story
# 1853 Nobody’s Story
# 1854 The Seven Poor Travellers
# 1855 The Holly-Tree Inn
# 1856 The Wreck of the Golden Mary
# 1857 The Perils of Certain English Prisoners
# 1858 Going Into Society
# 1859 The Haunted House
# 1860 A Message From the Sea
# 1861 Tom Tiddler’s Ground
# 1862 Somebody’s Luggage
# 1863 Mrs. Lirriper’s Lodgings
# 1865 Doctor Marigold
# 1866 Mugby Junction
# 1867 No Thoroughfare

Read more at Suite101: Charles Dickens' Christmas Stories: More Than Just “A Christmas Carol” Over Twenty-Three Years http://www.suite101.com/content/charl...

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Emily wrote: "I'm not as far as you, Jo. I just got to the ghost of Christmas past. The wording is so descriptive and uses older language than I'm used to reading, so it's slow going for me. Sorry."

No apologies needed Emily! :-)

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Shay wrote: "Dickens wrote a bunch of other Christmas stories:
1846 The Battle of Life
1848 The Haunted Man
1850 A Christmas Tree
# 1..."

Thanks Shay! Great link and great list! Did you get writer's cramp writing all that up?

message 29: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Leslie wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dickens wrote a bunch of other Christmas stories:
1846 The Battle of Life
1848 The Haunted Man
1850 A Christmas Tree
# 1852 The Poor Re..."

I copied and pasted it. I honestly haven't read any of his less famous Christmas stories. I'm sure they're all available online somewhere.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Shay wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dickens wrote a bunch of other Christmas stories:
1846 The Battle of Life
1848 The Haunted Man
1850 A Christmas Tree
# 1852 T..."

God Bless Copy-Paste!

message 31: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 387 comments Shay wrote: "Dickens wrote a bunch of other Christmas stories:
1846 The Battle of Life
1848 The Haunted Man
1850 A Christmas Tree
# 1..."

Wow!! I had no idea that Dicken's wrote that many Christmas-related books & stories! Thanks so much for sharing the link & info ;)

message 32: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Valerie wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dickens wrote a bunch of other Christmas stories:
1846 The Battle of Life
1848 The Haunted Man
1850 A Christmas Tree
# 1852 The Poor Re..."

I love Dickens, so I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've heard of none of these. One of the reasons I love GR.

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I haven't heard of any of them either Shay! I'm reading the Chimes right now and lemme tell ya, it's soooo weird. But then, all the people who reviewed my book said the Christmas Carol was the best one so I wasn't expecting much. But my other Dickens in December, The Last Dickens is really cool so far!

message 34: by Leslie (new)

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily | 269 comments I don't know that I'll read another Dickens anytime soon, but I did finish A Christmas Carol: A Pop-Up Book. The best part for me is that there were parts of each "stave" that were new to me. I've seen movies, and read books that are along the same theme, but many of the details are left out. It was good to read the original, although it took so long. Probably having a 2-year-old around all of the time didn't help my concentration. Enjoy your Dickens!

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Emily wrote: "I don't know that I'll read another Dickens anytime soon, but I did finish A Christmas Carol: A Pop-Up Book. The best part for me is that there were parts of each "stave" that were ..."

I saw those at the bookstore-cute! I got a random kiddie version (non-popping) for my 7 year old to try. He loves a good villain so I'm thinking he'll like Scrooge!

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily | 269 comments Very true, Leslie! I hope that he enjoys it. Mine was definitely not for kids, though. It was very ornate and gorgeous! A good gift for an adult, though.

message 38: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Emily wrote: "Very true, Leslie! I hope that he enjoys it. Mine was definitely not for kids, though. It was very ornate and gorgeous! A good gift for an adult, though."

Oh sounds like just the sort of thing I like to buy myself. So off I go to check it out.

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily | 269 comments It really is beautiful. My non-reading husband ooh-ed and aah-ed before I did every time I opened the pages. It's a good tradition to start at Christmas time. Maybe Santa will bring it for you? Actually, I thought it'd be a good gift for somebody whom you don't really know what to get. Especially if they're a reader or enjoy pop-up artwork.

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Emily wrote: "Very true, Leslie! I hope that he enjoys it. Mine was definitely not for kids, though. It was very ornate and gorgeous! A good gift for an adult, though."

Wow, it is really beautiful! Amazon had some fabulous pictures of it. It's also very expensive!