The Sword and Laser discussion

Bad scifi and fantasy covers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben | 116 comments I don't recall seeing anyone post about this site before.

A lot of us enjoy the artwork from scifi and fantasy novels. This website, Good Show Sir, has some of the more laughable ones, mostly from the 60s and 70s. They don't really live up to Frank Frazetta. It's good for a laugh.

Some recent good ones:

http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/2010/11/...
http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/2010/10/...

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments The rocket powered flying finger of "death".

Well, if not death then at least a good solid finger of "Capitolistic exploiter of the masses" of space.

http://www.sci-fi-o-rama.com/wp-conte...

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6390 comments I've been burned by book covers too many times. I really like the cover, but then the book is nothing like it. My rule is to ignore the cover.

message 4: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Can't judge a ...

message 5: by Space Preacher (new)

Space Preacher (spacepreacher) | 39 comments Since I'm resolved to only talk about Joe Abercrombie...

It frustrates me when the cover art doesn't depict anything inside the book, honestly. The US release of Best Served Cold depicts some dual claymore wielding war goddess that doesn't appear in the book. At least Goodreads uses the UK cover (depicting the rapier-like weapon she actually uses).

Didn't frustrate me nearly as much until the author went into detail on his blog about how much effort they put into making these covers, just to have the stateside release covered in nonsense.

I guess in the end it isn't a huge deal but it's nice to be able to refer to the artwork occasionally and have it reflect something in the actual work.

message 6: by Sandi (last edited Nov 20, 2010 03:15PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments To me, the all-time worst cover is for Saturn's Children. It's a really good story, but I couldn't read it until I bought it for my Nook. There's just no way I could carry a book with that cover anywhere in the civilized world.

Of course, it's probably not as bad as the old cover of Stranger in a Strange Land. (When I selected the edition, the cover showed up, but when I click on the link, it doesn't. I'll go look for a picture.)

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Okay, I hope this works:

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben | 116 comments Sandi wrote: "To me, the all-time worst cover is for Saturn's Children. It's a really good story, but I couldn't read it until I bought it for my Nook. There's just no way I could carry a book w..."

Yeah, I read the hardcover, so fortunately I could take the cover off to read on the subway.

Stross pointed out on his blog that authors often do not get to pick the covers to their books.

message 9: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Authors never have input on the cover. They also have no input on the description found on the back

One author described it as, when you open the book and start reading at Chapter 1 - that is mine. Everything else is some one else's