Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > December Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Let the nominations begin. I nominate "The Hour before dark" by Douglas Clegg.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I nominate Shadows in Summer A Novel in Six Voices by Crescent Varrone . Looks too good to keep passing up.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I nominate The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. You can get it for the Kindle at only $2.39! I got it last week and want to dig in.

message 4: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I will second The Keep.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric (eterrell3) | 97 comments I nominate The Store by Bentley Little

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate The House Next Door by Ann Rivers Siddons

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've read The Store and The House Next Door, but it's been a long time. All of these suggestions sound good.

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments I think The Store is freaking fantastic!!! I vote for The House Next Door.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Keep 'em comming...

message 10: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I love The Store. But, obviously I have already read it.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 47 comments Yep....The House Next Door sounds fantastic & The Store sounds pretty good too!

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1652 comments Having read The Keep and seen the movie I'd prefer to try out one of the other books suggested as i haven't read any of those.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Tressa, Shadows in Summer looks great too!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I read The Hour Before Dark by Douglas Clegg and really liked it. All the others sound great too.

I will nominate Afraid by Jack Kilborn.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It does, Kent. I looked back at my horror TBR list and knew there would be some good ones on there that I've been wanting to read for years.

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments The House Next Door by Ann Rivers Siddons....since this 'ol classic ( with Stephen King, giving his blessing ).

I have an idea for an older one... "The Beast Within" by, Edward Levy. I really liked it, see what you guys think.

I've been on the lookout for The Keep ( I like his Repairman Jack series ),supposed to be a great horror story.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Here are some more I've been wanting to read:

Crescent
Hard Winter
Naming of PartsFeast

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments I heard/read about "Naming of Parts" a while back. Good reviews, but according to Amazon, it's 94 pages. Do you know if it's a novella?

I haven't read much sci-fi, but Crescent sounds rather good. Sci-fi/horror,hmm

message 20: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 531 comments and here's another vote for The House Next Door

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I don't know anything about Naming of Parts except that it's on my TBR list. Maybe I'll have to check that one out on my own.

I've loved everything of Lansdale's I've read...which is sadly very little. His short stories are great.

message 23: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments I'd love to do a 94-page book, since I have SO MUCH TO READ! No 800-page monsters for the holidays, please... ;)

These all sound good. Now I have to hurry up and finish what I'm reading so I can participate!

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yeah, some good titles have been listed here. Can't wait to see how the voting goes.

message 25: by Liliana (new)

Liliana Sousa (lilianasousa) I'm readind "Drood" by Dan simmons... about page 100 by now and liking it a lot :)

message 26: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Bottoms, is another great coming-of-age tale from Mr.Lansdale.

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Lee.

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I want to read Drood. I love the idea of a book about Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins, if my memory is correct.

message 29: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Jason,

Have you read anything by Wilkie Collins? I like how he's credited with, "author of the first detective novels in English". Also says he did some Gothic type also.

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I have read some of his work. Not much, yet, but I plan on more. I think he's great.

One story I read was called The Dream Woman. It's a ghost story that was actually pretty scary.

message 31: by Liliana (new)

Liliana Sousa (lilianasousa) Jason, you really have to try get your hands on "Drood". It has a great cenario and I'm starting to belive that I "know" Dickens... LOL

message 32: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments The Hour Before Dark was phenomenal, one of Clegg's best. Naming of the Parts is great too.
I guess I will second nominate Afraid by Kilborn, it's been staring at me from my TBR's shelf with its bright red cover.

message 33: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I'll do either The Keep or Afraid, Since I own both and can't afford anymore books right now. I literally have close to 75 TBR books!!

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I will indeed get myself a copy. Sounds like a great read!

message 35: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 531 comments i just have to jump in and say that i thought Hour was less than phenomenal. the writing was definitely above average. but i had issues with many other things and the book felt lacking to me. still, i think he is a worthy novelist; right now i'm reading Wild Things: Four Tales and the writing is, again, well above average. he's an interesting author.

message 36: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Poll is now on till the weekend!

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Clegg is one of my favorites (by the way, he has dropped off the past few years...what ever happened? I am still waiting for Mr. Darkness from CD Pubs. which has been preordered for YEARS...seriously) but I like his earlier stuff better.

Bandit...AFRAID is one of the best horror novels in the past few years. GREAT read! :)

message 38: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments So, where is the poll? Did I miss the link to it somewhere?

message 39: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Here's the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/41...

There is another link at the top of pretty much every group page that will take you to that group's polls. It's to the right and near the bottom of a list of group navigation links.

message 40: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments Awe, thanks! you're the best!
Happy Turkey Day! (or tofurky, as the case may be)

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Thanks, Zuzana!

But I'm Canadian (eh?) and so had my turkey...damn, nearly two months ago now.

How time flies...lol

message 42: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments HA! OK, forgot that -- sorry -- never mind -- hope it was good. My mouth is watering as my turkey roasts in the over and fills the house with a succulent aroma! So I'm trying to keep my mind off of food by downloading tons of stuff onto my new Kindle. :DDD

message 43: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments You're making me hungry, Zuzana! Now I can't wait for Xmas dinner! :\

message 44: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments What? You celebrate that in Canada?
JK!

message 45: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments LMAO Yeah we do celebrate that, actually. The lights in the Christmas tree tend to melt the igloo wall, but that's easily fixed by moving the tree closer to the fire pit at the middle of the igloo.

Otherwise we have a grand ole time.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Tofurky is very good; I couldn't tell the difference.

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments Afraid didn't make it to the poll, but I went ahead and voted :o(

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Girl, read Afraid solo. It's great.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments OK, I will. I still have November Mourns to read after I finish Snow, which I'm enjoying so far. Been getting a lot of reading done since I hurt my back and am stuck in bed. I voted for The Stroe since it's the only book I already have from the list.

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Didn't know you hurt your back (or I've totally forgotten). Sorry. Back pain is the worst.

I guess I wouldn't mind reading The Store again since I read it so many years ago. I'm sort of not in the Little frame of mind right now, though.

« previous 1