Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > Favorite thing to eat at Thanksgiving?/Official Thanksgiving thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Pecan pie!

message 2: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments Stuffing! Mmmm...

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Turkey!

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Stuffing!

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Green Bean Casserole!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Pumpkin Pie!

Maybe I should have just said all of it!

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments cranberry sauce, not the jellied kind.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Who's going out of town? Who has to work Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

message 9: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) sweet potato pie & cranberries with mandarin oranges and walnuts.
also, I love the leftovers all weekend.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Going to my SIL's about 3 miles up the road. I will be working Wed.(so help yourself to the shots on the counter) but have Th & Fri off.

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments We celebrated Thanksgiving with the in-laws on Saturday. My husband works on Thanksgiving so I'll make a mini-feast before he goes in. I work my regular shift on Black Friday plus 8 hours of overtime. Most of our holidays are not actually celebrated on the holiday. Last Christmas was the first Christmas we've had off in several years.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. And next comes the stuffing, with gravy on the stuffing and potatoes. I am all about the carbohydrates.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Where do you work, Kristina? That's a LONG f--king Black Friday.

message 14: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Rebecca wrote: "Mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. And next comes the stuffing, with gravy on the stuffing and potatoes. I am all about the carbohydrates."

Me too, Rebecca, except the mac and cheese is the night before--five cheeses in this year's recipe!

message 15: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments Cranberry sauce with stuffing and gravy!

message 16: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Kristina wrote: "We celebrated Thanksgiving with the in-laws on Saturday. My husband works on Thanksgiving so I'll make a mini-feast before he goes in. I work my regular shift on Black Friday plus 8 hours of over..."

Although I always have Thanksgiving day off, I usually have to work Friday and Saturday as well. Same with Christmas, working on the eve until all the packages are delivered and then the day after right back to work. Before the USPS, I worked at a hospital and there are no holidays there either.

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Bring on those COLLARD GREENS

message 18: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments Ew. I always hated when my grandmother made collard greens b/c they made the whole house stink.

message 19: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Barb wrote: "Turkey, and mashed taters + gravy."

I'm with the Ontarian.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, all of it! I now love cranberry sauce, that's a grownup realization - oh, hey, this stuff is GOOD!

message 21: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 9 comments Mmmmmm... favorite thing I've ever had on Thanksgiving was homemade marionberry pie - all made from scratch with hand-picked wild marionberries!!

Crust: perfect and delicious. Filling: scrumptious!! MmMmmm!

I might've made up the wild part, but the rest is all true.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Pumpkin pie. With lots of whipped cream of course. And mashed potatoes. And stuffing!

Jackie, I'm the same exact way with cranberry sauce too! It's because my mother served it straight from the can, ripples and all.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24359 comments Mod
Dark meat turkey, stuffing, LOTS of gravy (homemade!), mashed potatoes, green beans, any kind of greens, pecan pie.

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lori wrote: "Pumpkin pie. With lots of whipped cream of course. And mashed potatoes. And stuffing!

Jackie, I'm the same exact way with cranberry sauce too! It's because my mother served it straight from the ca..."

Ha, that's how my mother served it too. If I'm making dinner though, I make it with fresh berries.

message 25: by Lori (last edited Nov 18, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

Lori I didn't know any other way until I met Richard! I like it on everything, all the fixings in addition to the turkey.

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments Lori wrote: "Pumpkin pie. With lots of whipped cream of course. And mashed potatoes. And stuffing!

Jackie, I'm the same exact way with cranberry sauce too! It's because my mother served it straight from the ca..."

At my house the ripples have become a tradition. I can't imagine the revolt if I got rid of them. We also make "real" cranberry sauce for those who like it but I have to confess, I prefer the canned.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments We are a mixed family: some carnivores and some vegetarians. Plus we always have a ham in addition to the turkey. So there’s turkey and ham, fake turkey and sham (fake ham), turkey gravy, veggie brown gravy, the stuffing from inside the turkey for the meat eaters and stuffing warmed in a loaf pan for the veggie folks.

Anyone else have that kind of craziness?
And does anybody else have ham in addition to turkey?

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

My holidays are always filled with begging family members not to substitute ham for turkey.

For stuffing, we've never cooked it inside the turkey. It's always in a separate pan.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments LG: we have both so everybody's happy there!

Stuffing that cooks inside the turkey is so much better. It absorbs so much flavor from the bird. The trick is to only stuff it right before it goes into the oven. If you stuff it too early you set everyone up for the possibility of some serious food poisoning.

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "My holidays are always filled with begging family members not to substitute ham for turkey."

We're having ham. I'm assuming your RSVP is not in the mail.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

No, I sent it pony express.

message 32: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Careful, LG. Anyone who has ham for Thanksgiving is capable of serving pony.

message 33: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I just made a cake!

message 34: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart We're having two turkeys...a ham...two cakes....5 pies...etc

message 35: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "I just made a cake!"

Piiiictttuuuress....

message 36: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Yeah...you're drunk.

message 37: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No, seriously, I want pictures of the cake. And don't I type well for a drunk? I'm quite proud.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Any minute now RA is going to be peeing off his porch into the bushes...

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments It's WAY too cold for that. I'd need at least four more beers before I didn't feel any wind or pain.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

How long does it take you to pee??

Nevermind.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

favorite ---> the sandwiches AFTER.

message 42: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That's a fair question. It's more like I'd be nervous in the rain and wind and perhaps take longer than necessary. You know, like dogs who take forever to pee in the cold.

message 43: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Well, I'll have to make due with the camera on my phone, I don't have my digital. It's in the oven now, but it's strawberry with strawberry frosting

message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Jaye wrote: "favorite ---> the sandwiches AFTER."

Yes, so tasty.

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "That's a fair question. It's more like I'd be nervous in the rain and wind and perhaps take longer than necessary. You know, like dogs who take forever to pee in the cold."

Shy bladder syndrome. This happened to me once at the office. The maintenance people had closed the women's restroom on our floor so the women were using the men's bathroom. I had to go really, really bad and I made my coworker go in there to make sure it was empty. She went in and came out and pronounced it empty. I went in and sat down and immediately noticed a man's legs in the next stall with a newspaper spread out on the floor. How she could have missed this I'll never know. But I just couldn't pee next to a strange man. It just was not physically possible. I got up and left.

message 46: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Cherry pie. I know, not "typical" Thanksgiving, but it's my favorite and I'm the only one who eats it, so I only make it once a year.

More traditional Thanksgiving stuff? Rolls with gravy. Leftover turkey sandwiches with a heart attack amount of Miracle Whip and a dash of salt.

message 47: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I love cherry pie.

message 48: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Me too.

I just took two loaves of cornbread out of the oven. They'll go into the stuffing tomorrow.

message 49: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Baked cornbread? For real?

message 50: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I like to take two dinner rolls, slices of dark meat, some cranberry and a ton of stuffing. I put gravy on it all and eat it like a sandwich. Then for a side I'll have some broccoli casserole and perhaps some yams.

« previous 1 3