Freestyle Readers Club discussion

Buy, Borrow, Steal...

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bree (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Where do you get your books? Do you buy them? Borrow them from the library? Borrow from friends/family?

Up until recently, I would buy them - usually at the grocery store. I'd just wait until it came out in paperback and grab it then. Mind you, I could only read the "NY Times Bestsellers" or whatever the stores brought in, lol...but still.

Anyway, in August I renewed my library card and have been using their inter-library loan system - this thing freaking rocks, lol. I can type in pretty much ANY book and if a library in the province has it, I can request it and they will send it to my library and notify me when it gets here. I think I've borrowed 20 books, lol...saved myself almost $200 already. Sweeeet. All for the low, low price of $7/year. :D

Anyhow...just curious what you all do...

message 2: by Amandagale (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Amandagale | 2 comments I do the same thing Bree! :)

We have a fantastic library system! If the neighborhood library down the street doesn't have it, they will tranfer over from another library in the Fort Worth system. I can do all the catalog searching from home, request, and just pick up! Forget the days of those card catalogs! ;) :)

It's great for my daughter too! We go once a week for story time, check out a few books for her and usually 1 or 2 dvds!

I also have a friend who likes to order books online (in the grab bag/boxes) or will pick them up at Half Price. She is always sweet enough to pass them on to me when she's finished and I do the same on the rare occassion that I buy one! These are usually Christian novellas, short and sweet - good for a quick read.

message 3: by Bree (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Our local library has a story time, too...but we actually moved out of town and I don't drive, so I can't take the kids. When we lived in town and just a few blocks from the library, I took them once and was told that they weren't old enough (they were almost 3 and 1.5 at the time). Grrr. Their "minimum" age is 3, and they wouldn't let me take them and sit there with them or anything. Now both are old enough, but it's not really an option. Which is too bad. I really need to get my license! LOL!

message 4: by Maggie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Maggie Lamarre | 2 comments I get most of my books border on the weekends when they have the 20% off sale..
I also do a lot of heavy trading on frugalreads..
It works on a point system the more points u have the more books u can get..
The best part is once u get the books it's your to keep or to trade back for something else..
I also belong to a bookcrossing, meaning after we are done with a book we leave it, in a public places with a tracking # and website.

SO far I've had books that have endup in Russia and Alaska.
Maggie

message 5: by Jodie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) I've gotten into the bad habit of going to Barnes & Noble when I get that "itch" - you know the book buying itch! Either that or I'll wait for library book sales, pick one up at Walmart here or there, borrow from friends or family (tho lately, they've been borrowing from me). I used to belong to Doubleday - but that was awhile ago. Most of mine I'll give away - except for Nora Roberts & Jodi Picoult - they are all-mine!

Happy Reading!

message 6: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I promised myself I was going to start using my library card and then Saturday night I was at a fundraiser and won a raffle item - a Borders gift card! Maybe next time I'll to go the library, but I love to buy them and surround myself with them.....

message 7: by Amandagale (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Amandagale | 2 comments That's crazy!!! Our librarian is great - she'll take any age and the parents are involved too. That's a good thing...Abigale usually won't get out of my lap!

message 8: by Leila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Leila | 3 comments I used to pick up most of my books at Half-Price Books. Money is just way too tight these days, so I finally caved and got a library card. I absolutely LOVE our library system. I can keep books for a month, I can "re-check" them online...and the inter-library loan system is just fantastic!

message 9: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) i use a couple of different on-line book trading groups. they are listed in my profile. a couple of them are world-wide to. i also have a library card and use it when i can't wait for a book to get to me. the sites are great. if you need any more info, just send me a message.

message 10: by Bree (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Stephanie, I just joined BookMooch (I tried signing up on Paperback Swap, it was the first one I came across and looked awesome, but it's for the US only). I just mooched my first book, waiting for someone to mooch from me so that I can get going...lol!

message 11: by Zawani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Zawani | 1 comments borrow~!

message 12: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Rebecca I use my library's inter-library system too. I agree that it's awesome! I used to be limited to what was at my library, but this system has opened a lot of new doors for me. As a special treat I'll wonder around Barnes and Noble for a couple hours and pick up a few books I know I'd like to own. I just love to browse. I think I'll look into some of these book swapping websites too.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimberlyfayereads) I buy a lot of the books I read on Amazon Marketplace, Half.com or eBay. I also belong to Booksfree. Has anyone else checked that out? It is like Netflix for books and is fantastic.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Tepperman | 3 comments I usually go to the library, but have been informed Book Warehouse sells at US $'s!

message 15: by Meghann (new)

Meghann I buy almost all my books at a used bookstore. Books that my husband and I don't want to keep we sell them back to the used bookstore and get store credits for it. It's been a while since I've actually bought a book because we have so many credits there. I do have a library card but usually buy books. I use the library card to check out books for my classroom. I keep most of my books because I want to have a nice library available to my kids if I ever have any.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I like to buy my books. But I have so many unread books in my room that I am trying to read them and get my shelves sort of empty and get some of the books off the floor. My goal is to start going to the library instead of buying books.

message 17: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) We have a great library system here in Topeka, KS. If they don't have a book, they find it in a neighboring town's library. I have my books sent to me. They also have a Red Carpet division that goes out to retirement and handicapped places where you can check out books from your complex. I have one downstairs in my building. It also has tons of CD, VHS, and DVD stuff.

message 18: by Marie (new)

Marie Scotton (vampyrawitch) | 1 comments I get my books either from friends, library or I buy them, but I normally get them through the library. I think we have about 4 bookstores by us, which isnt too bad. Tho The one bookstore mostly sells religious crap, tho we got 2 big bookstores that sells good books. *smiles*

message 19: by Mona (last edited May 23, 2008 11:54AM) (new)

Mona | 6 comments I usually get my books from the library as well. If I really love it or know that I want to keep it, write in it, make little notes, I will buy the book. I also love giving books as gifts. I borrow books from friends too. We swap them when we know we will all like a book. We even make comments in the book for each other to read sometimes. It's fun!

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey (thereadingknitter) I get most of my books from the library. If I do anything else it's borrow them from friends or family. I rarely buy them just because of the lack of storage space and the lack of money. Any money I get these days goes to gas! haha.

message 21: by Rachael (new)

Rachael I live in a town where the library is good, but not great. When they didn't have several books I wanted, I turned to bookswim.com. But, I have always loved buying books. It's my one guilty pleasure.

message 22: by Corey (new)

Corey (buzzstewart) I purchase most of my books from Books-a-Million. I try to buy hardback because I am trying to build a library.

message 23: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (ibeforem) I try to avoid buying new books nowadays, because if I could only buy new my TBR pile would be much smaller! The majority of my books come from PaperbackSwap.com. I also make it to the library for 4-5 books once every couple of months.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 5 comments I do like to buy my books new. I keep the ones I love and sell the rest on half.com, which will fund more new books.

I have found a great independent book store that sells all of their books (including new titles) at a substantial discount. I have also found a Salvation Army that carries a great selection of books.

I stopped using the library as I would wait sometimes 8 weeks for a book to be available.

message 25: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I know what you are talking about with the library. They said that four of my ordered books came in five days ago, and I still haven't received them. That is pretty disgusting.

message 26: by Edmund (new)

Edmund Have been a fan of Inter-Library Loan for years - it works very well here in Alberta.

message 27: by Bernice (last edited Jul 24, 2008 09:04AM) (new)

Bernice (Blessed) | 1 comments Hey Everyone
Yes, I try doing the library thing, as well. But at the end of the book I know that I have to give it back, but I want to keep it. So I buy them a lot. But I have no kids, so when I do have Kids I will have a library at home. If I do borrow a book and it is really good, I want to have one, but I will wait until I see it for sale or ask for it for my birthday or Christmas.
Reading is sexy in my eyes!!!!!!!!

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debber1973) | 4 comments Most of the James Patterson books I have read are from my friend at work...we do alot of trading books around at my work...I also get alot of my books from the library...I used to buy alot of books...About 75% of the Nora Roberts books I read, I owned but I sold alot on e-bay so I could buy more...I now wait for my firend to bring me books or I go to the library...buying books was costing me too much...my friend has a really great used book store in her area so she is my book dealer right now lol

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 8 comments I borrow them from the library!

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 31 comments Library more and more these days...But I hate having to deal with renewals and due dates. LOL Other than that, half.com, Amazon, etc...

message 31: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) Hi Everyone. I'm new here. I brought over 200 books (mostly paperbacks) with me when I moved north, which I had been gathering from garage sales, flea markets, used books, over 3 years in preparation of moving, since I knew there would be long winters when I could do a lot of reading. Broke my ankle both sides at the start of the first winter here so that proved to be providence. Anyway, now most of my books come from reading and reviewing advance reading copies & then posting the reviews. Also enter as many draws on books as I can. (I hate to say it, but there is a building at the local dump which everyone calls the "mall" where people put things that can be used free... I've even added to my collection of books from these as they are actually in bookcases and more or less sorted, some almost brand new.) I also get books from "New to You" the hospital auxilary's thrift shop at 10 cents/book, so now I guess I've doubled my count! Do you think I'll ever get finished reading them?? ;-) Oh, yeah, new books bought on-line through the Air Miles site, at Chapters and at Amazon.ca, then I get air miles points as well, and it helps if I win any gift certificates!

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I do both the library and bookstores. Our library is really good but if there's a new book that I want really bad and have to wait too long for it I'll buy it. I also buy a lot of books for my 7 year old son.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I buy mine from Borders, or my book clubs. I also frequent the library once a week.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to buy most of my books at secondhand stores, library sales, and the Bargain Books department at Barnes$Noble.com. But I recently discovered a great online site for swapping books. Over the last three months I've sent out 18 books and received 22. The only cost is postage for the outgoing books (usually not more than $2.50 per package). I'd be happy to refer anyone who wants to look into it. Send me a separate message, and I'll send you the link.

message 35: by Rob (new)

Rob | 3 comments Library definitely, have a borrower's card in 3 city libraries and another one for the LA county. Also, I frequently go to swap meets. But I get the best deals from yard/garage sales.

message 36: by Jennifer Defoy (new)

Jennifer Defoy | 13 comments I was going to the library ALOT but then I found paperbackswap.com. I also just found out where our friends of the library book sale is so I've been there are few times in the last month. Can you really be a hardcover book for $2? My mom also likes to do a "mom-and-me book group" so she buys my sister and I each a copy of the book we've decided to read.

But paperbackswap.com is my favorite. If you join I would appreciate it if you would mention Jennmarie68@yahoo.com as the person who referred you!!!

I've never looked at books at garage sales. I think I'm gonna have to have my MIL (the garage sale queen) start picking books up for me once garage sale season starts.

message 37: by Rob (new)

Rob | 3 comments I recently run across a website ebooks.ebookmall.com that allows download of book for a small fee (around $3). They mentioned 3 formats: Adobe, MS Reader and Palm. Has anybody done business with this site? Any opinions?
Thanks a lot.

message 38: by Croyle (new)

Croyle Smith | 1 comments I refuse to go to the LIBRARY until they fire the woman who works there. ( Dont like argueing about the pronunciation of my name) so until then I go to Books-a-million every monday, Love the library books they sell. I also love the project gutenberg site for the classics which some are required reading in my daughters school.

message 39: by KrisT (new)

KrisT My library website has free books to download for mp3 players. It is wonderful and Free! Did I mention it is free?

I used to volunteer at the library and we have several branches in my town so I get variety by going to them all.