"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy discussion

the underground storage/safe house

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 19 comments Mod
In a world where it is so hard to find the essentials of living, why would the father decide to leave the new place they had found underground that had everything they needed. The whole time he says it's unsafe and people could find them, but if they had so much then maybe they could share it and all live. Wouldn't they rather live like that for as long as possible instead of going out into such a dangerous place with nothing to offer them...?

message 2: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Sprauve (asprauve) | 20 comments There where numerous reasons for leaving the underground barracks. To answer the question could they share? In an ideal place this would be great but this is hardly an ideal world. In a world where people roast children on a spit as if they where preparing a thanksgiving turkey, do you really think they would simply just share the cornucopia of food? And to address the idea of simply barricading themselves underground, first we need to assume that’s even possible and that people wouldn’t do everything possible to get down to them. Is trapping oneself in a small room, to live, even living? I don’t think it is. I would rather live outside for a few weeks then have no life at all in a small room, forever.

message 3: by Heather (new)

This is not an ideal world, but I feel that they are just as powerful as the other guys and that's why they were able to make it so far. They have a gun and they could easily negotiate just like they did with the man that tried to steal their cart. You make a very good point though that people have gone kind of crazy and would perhaps kill them anyways.

message 4: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Sprauve (asprauve) | 20 comments Its easy to negotiate with one guy when he is bringing a knife to a gun fight but what happens when there are 5 guys and 5 knives or when there are 5 guys and 5 other guns. I doubt there will be much negotiations. They got that far because they did keep moving and they where smart not because they overpowered everyone.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara | 5 comments I agree with AJ. The safe house is only safe if no intruders decide to join the father and the son. From reading the book one can tell that most of the people in which the father and the son encountered on the road were threats. With the surplus of food and supplies that they found in the house, how could any intruder be willing to negotiate and share when it is their life on the line. An escape would also be extremely difficult if there was an attack of bad guys.

message 6: by Heather (new)

I can understand what you guys are saying in regards to people having no mercy. And as far as an escape goes, this is something that I had not put into consideration. They wouldn't be able to flee if someone else came down there and hiding would only work for so long because in such a small area, they would inevitably be found.