Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > GOOD FILM ADAPTATIONS

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments well, there I was in a discussion under Books when someone mentioned a good film adaptation from a book. Since we could not find a topic for that, I decided to start one.Does anyone have a favorite film adaptation of a book? My favorites are: "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Doctor Zhivago"both of which I consider fairly faithful to the book.

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Creech | 100 comments Mystic River.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Tank Girl.

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Here’s a few:

Wise Blood
The Dead
The Sheltering Sky
Hunger
In Cold Blood
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Under the Volcano
Gone, Baby, Gone
Remains of the Day
The Bostonians
The Long Goodbye
The Maltese Falcon
Shortcuts
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Tin Drum
Deliverance
The Pawnbroker

message 6: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Remains of the Day was a good adaptation. Very faithful to the book. Same with the Firth/Ehle Pride & Prejudice. I thought The English Patient was really good, but I haven't read the book.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Gone with the Wind". Also, the original Haunting of Hill House was pretty faithful to the book which scared the heck out of me when I first read it.

message 8: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Memoirs of a Geisha
The Green Mile

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments The Kite Runner.

message 10: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing
The miniseries version The Stand

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Michele wrote: "I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Gone with the Wind". Also, the original Haunting of Hill House was pretty faithful to the book which scared the heck out of me when I first read it."

I'd be curious to see the original Haunting of Hill House, having read the book.

Jammies - good choice on the Branagh Much Ado - I love that one!

message 12: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman No Country For Old Men. Pretty faithful to the book.

message 13: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (thebigcheasy) | 4 comments Tailor of Panama, great spy movie based on a John Le Carre book of the same name!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Do the excellent TV adaptations of Dorothy Sayers books count?

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Yes, tv adaptations count and I agree, the Peter Wimsey series was a great adaptation . Other great tv adaptations: Jeremy Britt's Sherlock Holmes series & I Claudius.

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments I loved watching I Claudius. I saw every single show except for the last one. I was at a cookout and forgot to videotape it. Color me purple.

message 17: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Dec 20, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes!!! I so agree about Suchet and Britt Brett! They were perfect, and I am reluctant to watch the new Sherlock Holmes because of Brett, even though I hear they're really good.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, that one, Bun. I didn't know they were set in modern London, though. That difference is intriguing, and might get me past my reluctance. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I am setting my DVR right now! :)

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments The new one is pretty good, I saw one episode of it. I also agree about Suchet and Britt. It will make it difficult to imagine others in these roles.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Misha wrote: "You must watch "Sherlock," Jackie! Although it may be too late for the DVR. It was only three episodes and they've already aired on PBS, but I think they're already out on DVD (they aired in July i..."

see if your local public library has it. I recently borrowed the whole series and loved watching it again.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's a great idea, Michele! :)

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "That's a great idea, Michele! :)"

my library by itself is small. but it belongs to a group of nearby towns and 1 city that lend out books all over the area. what a great idea. I always check the local library for dvds and books. I buy the ones I love and know I'll read again and borrow everything else. I'm saving up for a kindle/nook so I can store books electronically. I am running out of shelf space in the place I am currently living. Libraries are great. I have held a library card since I was 4+1/2.

message 24: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Misha wrote: "You must watch "Sherlock," Jackie! ..."

I completely agree. When I heard about this I was wary, I have to admit. Sherlock & John in 2010? Could that possibly work? And I didn't care of Dr. Who. But being a fan I couldn't stay away. Very enjoyable: witty and gripping and even noir. I'm glad they reshot the pilot. The only thing I didn't like was Sherlock's hair. Benedict looks much better with lighter hair, and the Sherlock I imagine doesn't have black hair. But that's a tiny issue.

Oh, I also hated that there was only 3 episodes in the first season. WTF??? What is it about British TV series producing only six or less episodes a season? We won't see anymore Sherlock until Oct 2011. That completely blows.

message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments ok.

message 26: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I just remembered, I really loved Oscar & Lucinda, starring two of my fave actors at the time (Finnes & Blanchett). I was very happy until the end, which they completely butchered. I'd read the novel years before seeing the movie, and I ran back to it and reread the last few pages to confirm I wasn't hallucinating.

WHAT THE HELL!?

message 27: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I really hate when they totally mess up the book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.