Cozy Mysteries discussion

Off topic discussions > Internet Addiction

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) I've been MIA from GR for the past little while. I think I've been a little too addicted to the internet, so I tried a little experiment on myself. I told myself I would get to read as much as I wanted but I would have to turn off the tv, and refrain from using the internet for a few weeks.

I'm glad I did it, because I felt like I had made GR more important than other things in my life (like tests and whatnot). One of the best things I noticed about myself (apart from having more reading time) was that I felt a lot calmer dealing with daily issues.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I used to spend a crazy amount of time on the 'net, but over the last couple of years it's lessened a lot. My husband said I was addicted before, and he was probably right. I check my e-mails at home in the morning while I have a bite to eat and check GR, too. At lunchtime at work I check eBay & GR and visit the news for my favorite local TV channel. And then in the evening I check e-mails again at home before I watch any TV. If there's nothing on TV, I read. Spending less time on the 'puter has simplified things a lot and I've read more books in the last 2 years than I have in ages!

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
What I discovered is just that you have to limit your online activities. I have friends and family that I contact on Facebook but I deleted almost all the games and play only 2 right now. I spend more time on Goodreads keeping up with groups, discussions, etc. I've had to limit the amount of challenges I take part in as I didn't have time for all of them and if I tried, I had no time to read what I wanted if it didn't fit a challenge. With my fiance living overseas, I can't stay off the internet as it's one way we keep in touch, so I've just tried limiting my "hobbies" and activities online.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments When I go on vacation or work conferences I don't watch tv or go on the internet, and at the time I don't miss it, but by the time I get home the first thing I want to do is catch up on my GR and email!

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I found that I could spend a whole day on the internet if I allowed myself. I check email, goodreads, facebook and eBay first thing in the morning with my coffee--after I've read the newspaper. That wasn't too bad but then I would play card games etc. It was necessary to desist from games and yes, limit my GR groups and challenges if I wanted to accomplish anything else. I'm retired and we are empty nesters in a rural setting so the internet can easily become a real source of entertainment and involvement. I found that by limiting my computer use to morning and then evening before dining that I am more able to get things done.Also, rather than putting the computer to sleep, I shut it down--it is too easy to resume internet use if the computer is just sleeping! LOL

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 616 comments I agree with "Book Sale Queen." You have to limit your Internet time. In my case, I tend to get on late in the day after I've accomplished my other goals, such as writing a certain # of pages, editing a chapter, or buying groceries or doing laundry. I don't play any games on Facebook either, and I think Goodreads is my favorite social network, because avid readers are my kind of folks. :)

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Mine too, Beth for the same reason!!

message 8: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1179 comments I gave up tv in January of this year - not for philosophical reasons, but financial. Cable was too expensive for my austere budget. I was surprised by how little I missed it and how peaceful my life became. Living alone, I used tv as background noise and watched what masquerades as news. Now I listen to news on NPR or scan the NYT on-line. I'm reading a lot more and loving that.
There are a handful of mystery shows that I watch on-line. This is the only Goodreads group that I joined. And Facebook emails me because I so seldom check in.
On the other hand, I am inundated with emails - 1000s of them. The majority are professional (especially list serves) or because of nonprofit boards I'm on. Plus ads and promotions and spam. When I take a break or travel, they really pile up. I ration the time I spend dealing with the backlog or it will eat up my day.

message 9: by Melodie (last edited Nov 21, 2010 11:56AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Nell wrote: "I gave up tv in January of this year - not for philosophical reasons, but financial. Cable was too expensive for my austere budget. I was surprised by how little I missed it and how peaceful my l..."

I would be more than willing to give up our satellite TV, but DH would have a cow. I like to watch the Food Network, but would be just fine without it. I would definitely hate to miss True Blood when the new season starts, but I'm sure I could talk a friend into letting me come watch at her house! My husband is a TV addict, tho. The shows I watch are on network TV and that's free, so I could save a chunk of changed every month!

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments We went down to basic cable and got rid of our DVR's, which I thought would be the end of me, but I am still alive! We do have a Roku, which I can't say anough great things about (that and Netflix, which I love love love).

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Heidi I wrote: "We went down to basic cable and got rid of our DVR's, which I thought would be the end of me, but I am still alive! We do have a Roku, which I can't say anough great things about (that and Netflix,..."

I would miss my DVRs since the TV shows I watch are all on Monday & Thursday nights. Several of them conflict so having the DVRs is great. I record some of my shows and watch them on Saturday afternoon.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Melodie I am paying $7/month so I can watch all my shows on Hulu Plus (Chuck, Parenthood, Bones, etc...) on our actual tv through the Roku. I love DVR's, but our cable company won't allow one with a basic subscription.

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Don't have a DVR so watch the shows, like Hawaii Five-o, Undercovers and The Good Guys on my computer since they conflict with other shows I want to watch on TV

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Gave up cable during the early summer, don't miss it, not much, but I enjoyed the Food Network, but my husband says I don't cook anyway so what is the point in watching, I told him through osmosis. Anyway, borrow DVD's from the library, and love to read. I used to go on Ancestry.com but Goodreads has been taking up so much of my time. But it is my one vice.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I'd love to give up our cable but DH has to have it for his sports channels. It costs a stupid amount of money every month. I have Apple TV and that allows me to buy whatever TV shows I can't live without and watch at my leisure. Commercial free, which makes it worth it, because if any country in the world has more commercial breaks than back home, it's Australia.

With the exception of GR, I spend very little time on the net. I work in IT, so I suppose I get enough of it on the job. :)

message 16: by Katherine (new)

Katherine We have DirectV here and that is about the only option--even with all those channels there are nights that there is absolutely nothing I want to waste my time watching. I never watch TV before 8pm--never have, but won't say never will! LOL On those nights I read or watch my Netflix DVD's. I LOVE Netflix!

message 17: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
I love a certain amount of tv but usually things like Food Network, Discovery Channel, Science channel, PBS, etc. However, I've been poor enough at times in the (recent) past that I couldn't always afford cable or satellite tv. In that case, there isn't alot on just the networks with an antennea. I have an extensive movie collection (most on VHS or taped off tv) that I would watch instead when I was in the need for a fix. Otherwise, I tend to stitch, crochet, or read instead. I'd rather give up tv than my internet, if I had to choose between them.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Me, too--rather internet over TV!

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Kari go to Hulu Plus and search the available shows to see if your favorites are on there. I watch Chuck, Glee, Parenthood, Psych, Bones, and the NBC and ABC comedies and all are available. If you watch CBS shows you are out of luck though.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Kari wrote: "Most of CBS shows are online at CBS.com so if you watch there do they still go to the TV?"

Not unless you hook your computer up to your tv with some type of cable (which we have too). Otherwise you can buy episodes on Amazon on Demand, which streams through the Roku. Or better yet, save the money and watch the CBS show online.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments I completely disconnect from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Those 48 hrs are for ME. I refuse to read news, refuse to surf those insane celebrity blogs I'm addicted to, nor will I check facebook.
It just got to be too much-especially after I noticed a shift in tone on facebook with a few friends..it had stopped being fun and turned into more of "look what I have, my life is better than yours" feeling amongst people.
So I limit myself and find that i love the weekends..unplugged!!
Loved to sit in my yard, wrapped in my snuggie, lost in a good book :)

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments Katherine wrote: "We have DirectV here and that is about the only option--even with all those channels there are nights that there is absolutely nothing I want to waste my time watching. I never watch TV before 8pm-..."

Me too!!! My Netflix subscription is my favorite to watch classic movies.

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments I don't watch television either as posted earlier, but I do get my movies through our local library and it is only $1 to rent, and this is a better deal to me then the video stores which have shut down near us due to the economy, etc. We did not miss the daily commentaries of the political parties and the mudslinging that usually entails these events, and that is what I am most thankful for. I thought I was going to have heavy withdrawals from no television, but we usually read alot and have a kitten, so our time is quite occupied.