Wicked Lovely fangroup! discussion

Nial and Irial..*spoilers for Ink exchange and Radiant Shadows*

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 28 comments Hey guys.

I was recently re-reading Ink exchange, and came across the scene where

*Spoiler*

Irial betrays Niall and has him gang-raped.

This scene made me feel ill, and I could never see Irial in a good light after that.

However as the series goes on, it eludes that they love each other, and Niall seems to want to be with Iri in the 4th book, and from the extracts we see from Darkest Mercy, he is in love with him...

I just don't get it!

How could he love him, when he hurt him so badly.

Or have I misread something.

I usually love same sex couples in books and on TV (Alec and Magnus from TMI are among my favourite pairings of all time),

But I can't understand how Niall can be with him after what he's done.

Your thoughts?

message 2: by Delia (new)

Delia (unfogettablelex) | 288 comments my thoughts hmmm (Sorry I left for so long btw thanks for keeping me in the group)

Well I guess you could go in the illogical direction which would be where Love wistands all. (Mind you, I havent read the one With Ani or the new one, Darkest powers I do believe.)
But either its the whole "Love trumps all", or maybe they have a bond.
Their could be something explaining this more in detail in another book. You also have to remember, they have both been and are a dark king, which means they have a better understanding of what's trully going on.

Either way between those two you can't really say what's ever going through they're minds.

Oh right also do you remember Niall was angry with Iri but I think somewhere in one of the books they made some kind of like "truce" I guess you could call it.

I dont know this is my wild rambling, I could be crazy or I could be a making sense and a total genious lol

message 3: by Zee (new)

Zee niall is defintely more generous than irial cuz he forgave him after all...but to forgive isn't easy too...so i guess the love and friendship between them did the job!!!!!!!

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments The thing with Irial is he had no choice in the matter. He was king, and as he tells Niall is "Stopping Time" the court was very unrulely. He couldn't show kidness to Niall because that would be weakness, and a weak king doesn't hold his court very long. Irial loves Niall but when he was king he had to love his court more, he had to feed his court (and we know the dark court feeds off negative emotions) and he had to show his court that he wouldn't back down. Irial couldn't be King any more because he Loved Niall and Leslie more than he loved the court. The reason I can love Irial despite his past terrors is the fact that he is one of the most loyal characters. He gives everything for those he loves, you can tell that he is trying to make up for what was done to Niall. He will do any thing for Niall now, if you read Radiant Shadows you really see the devotion he has for Niall and what he is willing to do to Niall and the Court safe.

message 5: by Timmysparks (new)

Timmysparks Mairead wrote: "Hey guys.

*Spoiler*

This scene made me feel ill, and I could never..."

Did u read Stopping Time? Irial didn't have Niall gang-raped. He had member of his court beat Niall. *Spoiler alert*

Niall wanted to stop them from mistreating a human. He had to put a replacement if her saved the human so he gave them himself thinking Irial would stop the Fae from beating him. But Irial just stood by and watched as Niall was beaten within an inch of his life. Irial later explained to Niall that he he tried to stop it, the court would have realize his feeling for Niall and they would have actually killed Niall.

You should read Stopping Time.

message 6: by Zee (new)

Zee i read stopping time...it is the new short story in fragile eternity...."AMAZING"....

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments Timipre wrote: "Mairead wrote: "Hey guys.

*Spoiler*

This scene made me feel ill, and I cou..."

No Niall was Raped. Its said in INK when he talks to Leslie about her rape. (I don't have my book with me but I'll come back and put up the act quote later)

message 8: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 28 comments I can't find stopping time ANYWHERE!
My friend and I were discussing it, so it came to mind. Now I'm confused, because it definitely said it in INK

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments @Mairead: Stopping Time should be avialable online at Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, or Borders for about 2$ or its on the back of the Fragile Eternity paper back

- Okay Page 171 of INK
"Raped," He said gently. "And yes, I know exactly."
Her hand traced over one of his scars again, more hesitantly this time. The stunned look on her face confirmed that she understood. "You?"
He Nodded. "It was forever ago"

message 10: by Timmysparks (new)

Timmysparks Samantha wrote: "@Mairead: Stopping Time should be avialable online at Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, or Borders for about 2$ or its on the back of the Fragile Eternity paper back

- Okay Page 171 of INK
"Raped," He..."

I'll read the book again to confirm.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments trust me its there. Niall and Irial were lovers for 6 years. irial used the fact that Niall was a Ganacanah to his benifit to feed his court with the lustful feelings over the humans. Niall found out, Niall ran, Niall was dragged back by Gabe. Niall was given a choice to stay with irial and let the humans be given to the court. He choose to be given to the court. Gabe cut his face (its a common misconception that Gabe raped Niall, He did not) Niall was raped by the court, and tortured. Irial did not stop it because: one he was King and had to show no mercy and 2 they would have killed Niall.

message 12: by Zee (new)

Zee ohhhhhhhhhhh....that's sad

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments it is

message 14: by Zee (new)

Zee i'll cry.......

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments yeah it was sad. Irial and Niall have a traggic past. Both are trying to make amends for what has been done. Irial never forgave Niall for running (which why could he blame him) and Niall takes forever to forgive irial. but they are my favorite YA couple (out of all couples) despite all the terrible things they have gone through. You can feel that they love each other and we don't have to be told this like in some books, its shown by their actions (especially through Iri in RS and "Stopping Time")

message 16: by Ivo (new)

Ivo I cry when Irial got hurt...

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments I cry too... I cried in outback :(

message 18: by Ivo (new)

Ivo I cry in Ink Exchange,Stopping Time & Radiant Shadows...

message 19: by Ivo (new)

Ivo And I'm pretty sure im gonna cry in Darkest Mercy...

message 20: by Zee (new)

Zee Keenan's Summer Queen♥ wrote: "I cry in Ink Exchange,Stopping Time & Radiant Shadows..."

me too:(

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 146 comments stopping time has to be my favorite. Melissa really shines when she writes Irial/Niall scenes.Its amazing

message 22: by Zee (new)

Zee i know:)

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn @Samantha: Your first post in the topic--I agree totally. Iri is my favorite character of all time, and that's exactly why. "Stopping Time" explains it a lot better. Yeah, they have kind of an awkward situation.

"Old Habits" is about Niall and Iri, and how they work to repair their relationship.

SPOILER!!!!

I think it's in this short story that Niall finally forgives Iri. He says it, and the fey can't lie, so he really does forgive him. I think that's part of the reason why he grew to love him again.

END SPOILER!!!!

Did I get that right? ;)

message 24: by M3hi (new)

M3hi | 1 comments does anyone else feel uncomfortable that Irial and Niall love each other ?? I find it quite uncomforting...I find Irial and Leslies relationship a bit more interesting