SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Competitions

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I was wondering if we might have some sort of competition to win books for this book club. I am not quite sure how it is going to work and I am open to suggestions. Lots of people seem to use book depository and others do have books on their book shelves at home. What about having a yearly competition where each "active member" donates a book to the competition, the winner is chosen randomly. Then we send the winner the books that we might want to send them. They dont have to be new books. Also I think this should only be for active members. Like I said this is just an idea and was something I was thinking about, thought it might be fun.

Initially I thought that somehow we could incorporate the compeition into one of the challenges. If this was the HP then that might be fair. But the only hitch with that is that if the winner/winners are chosen because they have finished reading a certain number of books, then the members of the group that are slow readers would never get a chance at winning. If it could be done in a fairer way then thats fine.

Anyway I am leaving this open to other members to read and see what they think, if they have ideas or how we can go about it, and basically would you want to do it?

message 2: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I think it is a wonderful idea and would love to participate.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Thanks Chriz, if you have any suggestions/ideas then just post them here: :-)

If this is a yearly competition then its not going to break the bank for a member to buy one book. I guess you could actually have it more often but would have to see what others think about this.

message 4: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I am game for more than once a year - how about twice? LoL

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, I'd only be interested if the prize included books I was really interested in reading.

I don't like the idea of linking it to the challenges though - they've already become so competitive that it's more about winning than enjoying what you're reading and chatting about it. Most of the posts these days are just points updates. Adding a prize will only make it worse. A little competition is good for motivation, but it shouldn't spoil the pleasure of reading.

message 6: by Emma (last edited Nov 16, 2010 10:27PM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Lauren wrote: "Hmm, I'd only be interested if the prize included books I was really interested in reading.

I don't like the idea of linking it to the challenges though - they've already become so competitive t..."

I tend to agree with you Lauren, and although I do like challenges, I think too many is not good.Thats why I am only particpating in 1 challenge, I also dont understand the point of linking challenges. Its too much, but thats my opinion. I also agree that people are not talking about books that they are reading, and really that is what a book club is supposed to be about. People are interested in getting through as many books as possible. I dont want to add to that, thats one of the reasons why I said that slower readers should be taken into consideration. I guess what we could do is if the person was picked randomly then they could make up a wishlist of books they would like and each participating member could say which book they would buy? Always interested in your input. Thanks :-)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I agree with the wishlist thing, it makes the competition more appealing. I for one am not interested in free books just because they're free - I have to want to read them too.

Hmm, lots of challenges at least gives people a variety to choose from. It does get a bit much to try and link them all, but finding interesting books that work for many challenges is like a game, it's fun :) Plus, I've found cool new books in the process.

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
How about a competition like, create a new group picture? And then people vote on it and the person that wins gets the "parcel"?

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'm no graphic designer, and I'm a crap photographer so I'd probably lose, but I like that idea :)
That way the winner can earn their prize too.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Well I wasnt thinking of having members really do anything. I thought about the chalenges, but It limits people who might not read alot of books, and I want to make it fair. If you are an active member and you want to particpate then you put your name down, and if your name gets randomly picked then youre the winner. Its that simple. That person then can make a wishlist, and at a certain time members can then buy a particualr book on that wishlist. I do agree with Lauren that I dont want it to be too competitive and thats why I want to keep it simple. :-)

message 11: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
I think the better option would be to have a "prize fund" administered by a trusted members. Other members can then donate a certain amount (e.g. R30) to the fund. Kinda like a membership fee.

Those who contribute towards the fund gets entered into the competition with a draw once a year (or twice a year depending on the number of people).

Winners should be randomly chosen from the names of the contributing members. The winner can then make a wishlist of titles, which the 'fund manager' can then purchase from Bookdepository or Take2 and have send to the winner.

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
Similar to giving funds, one can also sign up to give a book. So if your name is on the list and you don't win you have to give a book.

Either way :)

message 13: by Crusader (new)

The thing with giving books is the postage. On average postage will be around R20 for a book, might just as well have that available to the fund.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, that's a good point.

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
True

What if each person dedicates example $8 worth at Bookdepository?

message 16: by Crusader (new)

It will depend on the exchange rate where the best deals can be had. At the moment Bookdepository is just ahead of the prices at Take2, if the Rand takes a nosedive then it will start to be cheaper to buy from Take2.

So it might be good to keep options open.

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
True :)

That shipping cost is just a killer tho :(

message 18: by Crusader (new)

Lu wrote: "True :)

That shipping cost is just a killer tho :("

R55 for Speed Services delivery isn't too bad, but that's why comparison shopping would be needed.